Thread: How can someone with a standard account access other partitions?

Beans

Question How can someone with a standard account access other partitions?

My computer is a stand-alone workstation used by several people most of whom have standard (non-administrator) accounts. We have data on a Windows partition that apparently they cannot access. As an administrator I can access this partition, but they cannot.

Is there any way that I can give permission for them to access this partition? Or do I have to make everyone an administrator?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: How can someone with a standard account access other partitions?

Quote Originally Posted by ub07 View Post
    My computer is a stand-alone workstation used by several people most of whom have standard (non-administrator) accounts. We have data on a Windows partition that apparently they cannot access. As an administrator I can access this partition, but they cannot.

Is there any way that I can give permission for them to access this partition? Or do I have to make everyone an administrator?

Thanks.
    There is a section to allow others access without passwords in the network pages. If they can see the folders, they should be able to access the files if all permissions allow it.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post
    There is a section to allow others access without passwords in the network pages. If they can see the folders, they should be able to access the files if all permissions allow it.
    That's just the problem - the partitions don't show up for them. My plan was to add the users to my group and change the permissions on those partitions, but as soon as I tried to change permissions in Nautilus (as root), the permissions sprang back to the default which is to allow no access.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If it's a non-Linux filesystem you can't set permissions on it normally, you have to do it through /etc/fstab.

If you open the file there will be a line in there that mounts the partition. You can add options such as a "umask" that will control what level of access users are given.

More info here.

Beans

Thank you, Paqman. I read that thread and the links provided in that thread, and I'm making progress. I managed to get get the standard users to see the files in the partition by adding the following line to fstab:

/dev/sda5 /media/Shared vfat exec,rw,auto,users,sync

The problem is that the standard users still cannot write or make changes to that partition. What am I missing?

Beans

I corrected my fstab entry from what I wrote before:

/dev/sda5 /media/Shared vfat exec,rw,auto,users,sync
    to:

/dev/sda5 /media/Shared vfat rw,auto,users,exec,sync,umask=000 0 0
    Apparently even if you specify "rw" and "users," you still need to specify permissions through the umask option.

Thanks to everyone for their help. The link provided by Paqman was extremely helpful. This problem is solved.