Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallch (Wallpaper Changer) V2.0 released

hakermania is offline Τώρα ξέρεις τι γράφω εδώ!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thumbs down Wallch (Wallpaper Changer) V2.0 released

Wallch V2.0 released

VERSION 3.0 IS NOW AVAILABLE, PLEASE SEE http://wall-changer.sourceforge.net/

Wallch is a general purpose Wallpaper Changer for the GNOME 3 and GNOME 2 Desktop.
    It enables your Desktop Background Wallpaper to change automatically with images you have selected from your hard disk.
    The program has also some additional features, such as:

• Random image changing
    • Random time changing
    • Desktop/Sound notification
    • History logging (with extra history dialog)
    • Live Earth Wallpaper
    • Taking Screenshot
    • Taking Webcam Image
    • Image properties
    • Image Rotation
    • Start-up options for image changing
    • Unity shortcuts
    • Non-GUI mode

This is the mainwindow:

And this is how it looks like while the wallpaper changing
    process is running:

Wallch also uses the Unity shortcuts for controlling the GUI. This means that without focusing to the program at all, you can choose between the following:

When you have minimized Wallch and process is running, if you click 'Pause', the process will pause etc.

But the special thing about Wallch is its function that allows you to use all of its Unity shortcut options without even the GUI to be open! This means that even if Wallch is closed, you can enable Live Earth Wallpaper or the normal Wallpaper Changing Process without opening the GUI (GUI = Graphical User Interface (this means the window of Wallch))!
    For example, if you want simply to change wallpaper, you can click on the 'Change Wallpaper' option. Your wallpaper will change by picking randomly an image from the ones you had chose the last time you opened Wallch! Same thing with 'Start Changing Wallpapers', with the difference that this starts the normal Wallpaper Changing Process using the delay you had set the last time. Also the pause/start/next/previous options work too!

Whenever you want you can change from 'Live Earth Wallpaper' to 'Start Changing Wallpapers' and back!
    And all these without showing the GUI!

The start-up options mentioned above are:

Of course these will start Wallch in Non-GUI mode as well.

Some other screenshots that point out the program's functionality here:
    http://i.imgur.com/ISO2B.png
    http://i.imgur.com/uAI2t.png
    http://i.imgur.com/9cC07.png

If someone is interested in installing the program, here's the link for both GNOME 3 and GNOME 2 version:
    HERE

The above folders contain both the source and the DEB files, download the DEB file if you are interested in installing and trying the package and download the tar.gz file if you are interested in having a look at the code (Qt/C++)!

Program's site: http://wallch.t35.com/
    Launchpad: https://launchpad.net/wallpaper-changer
    REVU (waiting advocation): http://revu.ubuntuwire.com/p/wallch

Note: In the site you can find 1000 free wallpapers for download...
    Please, if you try the program and find any bugs, report them here
    or leave a comment below!

Of course any feedback, comment, suggestion etc is more than welcome!
    Last edited by hakermania; May 8th, 2012 at 11:55 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Wallch (Wallpaper Changer) V2.0 released

Also omgubuntu did a review of the program here: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/08/w...nity-features/

Beans

Got a question
    Why did you make it Gnome only??
    And a hint: I´m using kubuntu...

Beans

somehow editing won´t work - so it´s a double post.

the main thing from walch missing in kde is the live earth.
    there´s already a similar solution with marble-wallpaper (using kdeplasma-addons)but it´s using (if i´m right) the same satellite picture all the time with a night/day projection on it)- so it´s no "live" earth
    Wallch uses a real "live" wallpaper taken from a net-based sattelite picture, showing uptodate clouds and day/night borders, doesn´t it?? (may i ask for the source??)

So - now it´s your turn. Nice program - even nicer if kde users could run it to.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kaktux View Post
    somehow editing won´t work - so it´s a double post.

the main thing from walch missing in kde is the live earth.
    there´s already a similar solution with marble-wallpaper (using kdeplasma-addons)but it´s using (if i´m right) the same satellite picture all the time with a night/day projection on it)- so it´s no "live" earth
    Wallch uses a real "live" wallpaper taken from a net-based sattelite picture, showing uptodate clouds and day/night borders, doesn´t it?? (may i ask for the source??)

So - now it´s your turn. Nice program - even nicer if kde users could run it to.
    Well we are still working with some major bugs of the program... And yes, the picture is synthesized by some live pictures (live clouds live sun live shadow) so yes, you can say that the picture is *really* live.
    We were to make one version for both GNOME 2 and GNOME 3 but we were advised to make 2, one for each.
    It would be an idea to make wallch working on KDE, because wallch is such designed so as to work on all linux-based systems and only the command changes (the one that changes the desktop background). And that was the problem with GNOME, GNOME 2 uses gconftool while GNOME 3 gsettings. So we are in _trouble_ making 2 versions of the same program with a -one-or-two- line change, both a feature that it's not available in GNOME 3 -_-

So, i think that anybody could make wallch working for KDE. DEBS Sources are available on sourceforge(under 'Files') (see signature)
    Don't bother on looking at Version 1.0, _*really*_!
    Last edited by hakermania; August 19th, 2011 at 10:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I would just like to announce that version 2.1 is already available on the Oneiric's repositories

Beans
    Distro

I would also like to add that we added the GNOME2 ppa, same version with the one that is one the Oneiric's repos, so anyone with GNOME2 now can try it out:
    https://launchpad.net/~wallch/+archi...-archive-extra

Beans

Whenever I reboot my computer, I get a popup that says "You didn't have more than 1 picture in the list" I created an album.wallch file, saved it where I have the wallpapers and I still get the error message. What am I doing wrong? Should the album.wallch be in a particular directory?

Beans

Ubuntu 11.10, GNOME Classic

I like Wallch, in that it works. I've been very happy with Wally up until now, but it's not working with GNOME Classic. I'd be lovin' Wallch completely if it had one option... I have wallpapers of all sizes. I'd like the option to scale down large pics while not scaling up small pics. Has something like that been considered?

[poo]

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Wallch (Wallpaper Changer) V2.0 released

Quote Originally Posted by poo706 View Post
    Ubuntu 11.10, GNOME Classic

I like Wallch, in that it works. I've been very happy with Wally up until now, but it's not working with GNOME Classic. I'd be lovin' Wallch completely if it had one option... I have wallpapers of all sizes. I'd like the option to scale down large pics while not scaling up small pics. Has something like that been considered?

[poo]
    No, this haven't been considered and it shouldn't be too difficult to do. So, we may develop such an option.
    On the other hand there is rotation and other options on the right click menu FYI.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast