Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: might be leaving Linux [ But where to go ?? ]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

might be leaving Linux [ But where to go ?? ]

Hi Experts,

I have been exclusively using Linux/Ubuntu for last 4 years. But now reached a state where I need to say goodbye to it. I am fed up with my DELL inspiron n5010's overheating. I am worried about the health of laptop now.I have tried most of the tricks . i have jupitor installed also. I am having another annoying problem of left mouse clicks not working regularly until I do CTRL + FN to a non-GUI tty.

I understand that , without contributing anything significant , it is not fair for me to complain.so no complaints. Instead I am thankful to the community for providing me such a wonderful computing experience for the last 4-5 years.
    Can anybody suggest me an alternative to go.Here are my ideas.

1. Go back to Windows ( Its hard to use windows after tasting Linux's freedom , but i badly need a working system)
    2. Use an older distro with older version of kernel ( which has no overheating bug & the other bug ) [Any suggestions ? ]
    3. Use some other with a GUI which neither uses Linux Kernel nor Windows ( I am not sure here .. can I use opensolaris , freebsd ,android, chrome os .. pls suggest)

I just need an OS which will allow me to browse and use common programs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: might be leaving Linux [ But where to go ?? ]

its important to choose hardware which is compatible with the OS

i suppose you still have searched and read those threads:

http://www.google.fr/#hl=fr&sclient=...w=1680&bih=893

and/or this forum:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=342

and/or : http://linux.dell.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400, and unless I install i8kutils it overheats. You could try the following:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install i8kutils

## Force loading at boot
    echo "i8k force=1" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
    You then have to edit the file: /etc/default/i8kmon
    and change ENABLED=0 to ENABLED=1

Reboot the machine, and all should be fine.
    'I am writing to you, knowing that you will do even more than I ask.'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

have you tried cleaning it out? 90% of overheating laptop problems i've seen are because there is an unholy dust bunny inhabiting the heatsink.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

can you give us the current the temp.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/07/monit...in-ubuntu.html
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

First, what video chipset does the laptop have? The open-source radeon driver runs at its highest setting in its default state, which will generate a lot of heat.
    Go back to Windows ( Its hard to use windows after tasting Linux's freedom , but i badly need a working system)
    If you still want to experiment with Linux, create a dual-boot system. That way, if you're having issues, you can at least use your laptop until you figure it out. Even if you end up just using Windows, the large majority of open-source applications have Windows binaries available, so you'll still be able to use the same apps in Ubuntu.
    Use an older distro with older version of kernel ( which has no overheating bug & the other bug ) [Any suggestions ? ]
    That would be 10.04, which uses a 2.6.32 kernel. That's pretty much the oldest you're going to be able to go back to while still getting security updates.
    Use some other with a GUI which neither uses Linux Kernel nor Windows ( I am not sure here .. can I use opensolaris , freebsd ,android, chrome os .. pls suggest)
    Other operating systems will have less support than Linux, which includes support for power management.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMiracle View Post
    1. Go back to Windows ( Its hard to use windows after tasting Linux's freedom , but i badly need a working system)
    Well, I moved to Windows 7 from Ubuntu 10.04 and I still use it as my primary OS (Ubuntu as a secondary). I can understand your concern, though Windows is quite versatile if you know what to do; you don't have to deal with Microsoft's lock-ins. Most of the software I use is available on Linux as well. Check MakeUseOf's list of decent Windows software.

2. Use an older distro with older version of kernel ( which has no overheating bug & the other bug ) [Any suggestions ? ]
    What version are you running now? If you want, you could perhaps move to an older LTS like 10.04.
    Or have you tried a lighter desktop environment (like XFCE)?

3. Use some other with a GUI which neither uses Linux Kernel nor Windows ( I am not sure here .. can I use opensolaris , freebsd ,android, chrome os .. pls suggest)

I just need an OS which will allow me to browse and use common programs.
    Chrome OS isn't really an option unless all your work is done in a web browser. I'm not sure about OpenSolaris or FreeBSD though.
    Or you could buy a Mac

Beans

Have you tried 12.04. My Dell laptop temperature dropped about 10 degrees F, going from 11.10 to 12.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

sorry to hear about you leaving (if you do).

if you do decide to go back to windows, don't forget you have putty, which is a linux command line for windows, it comes with easy installers for ssh and such... so you can still use a lot of the same tools that you use under Linux cli there...

link's here for easy convenience: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast