Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: might be leaving Linux [ But where to go ?? ]

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

might be leaving Linux [ But where to go ?? ]

Hi Experts,

I have been exclusively using Linux/Ubuntu for last 4 years. But now reached a state where I need to say goodbye to it. I am fed up with my DELL inspiron n5010's overheating. I am worried about the health of laptop now.I have tried most of the tricks . i have jupitor installed also. I am having another annoying problem of left mouse clicks not working regularly until I do CTRL + FN to a non-GUI tty.

I understand that , without contributing anything significant , it is not fair for me to complain.so no complaints. Instead I am thankful to the community for providing me such a wonderful computing experience for the last 4-5 years.
    Can anybody suggest me an alternative to go.Here are my ideas.

1. Go back to Windows ( Its hard to use windows after tasting Linux's freedom , but i badly need a working system)
    2. Use an older distro with older version of kernel ( which has no overheating bug & the other bug ) [Any suggestions ? ]
    3. Use some other with a GUI which neither uses Linux Kernel nor Windows ( I am not sure here .. can I use opensolaris , freebsd ,android, chrome os .. pls suggest)

I just need an OS which will allow me to browse and use common programs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: might be leaving Linux [ But where to go ?? ]

its important to choose hardware which is compatible with the OS

i suppose you still have searched and read those threads:

http://www.google.fr/#hl=fr&sclient=...w=1680&bih=893

and/or this forum:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=342

and/or : http://linux.dell.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400, and unless I install i8kutils it overheats. You could try the following:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install i8kutils

## Force loading at boot
    echo "i8k force=1" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
    You then have to edit the file: /etc/default/i8kmon
    and change ENABLED=0 to ENABLED=1

Reboot the machine, and all should be fine.
    'I am writing to you, knowing that you will do even more than I ask.'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

have you tried cleaning it out? 90% of overheating laptop problems i've seen are because there is an unholy dust bunny inhabiting the heatsink.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by insane_alien View Post
    have you tried cleaning it out? 90% of overheating laptop problems i've seen are because there is an unholy dust bunny inhabiting the heatsink.
    This!
    If the computer started out on normal temperatures when you bought it, and then after 6 /or if HP, less/ months of usage temperatures got higher, it's this.

Also, one tip. If you tend to eat, smoke and create dust particles around your laptop, turn it off at night and put it upside down. In the morning, take a dust cloth and lift the "bottom" (now the upper) part of your computer and wipe the screen. You'll be surprised to know how much junk comes out. (Doing this once a month keeps my laptop at normal temperatures)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Onesimus View Post
    I have a Dell Inspiron 6400, and unless I install i8kutils it overheats. You could try the following:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install i8kutils

## Force loading at boot
    echo "i8k force=1" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
    You then have to edit the file: /etc/default/i8kmon
    and change ENABLED=0 to ENABLED=1

Reboot the machine, and all should be fine.
    @MikeMiracle
    Did you have any success with my suggestion ?
    'I am writing to you, knowing that you will do even more than I ask.'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Onesimus View Post
    @MikeMiracle
    Did you have any success with my suggestion ?
    @Onesimus Sorry for not updating before. I tried your suggestion. But it didnt work out in my Dell insipron n5010.

Right now , I am in Mint 13 (knew that Mint is based on Ubuntu , but just installed it , as I had a Mint CD) , which has same issues as Ubuntu.

1. overheating
    2. strange x.org/touchpad/mouse bug which will make mouse left clicks not working

In combination , these issues make the user experience annoying.Normal work around for issue 2 in Ubuntu is changing to an non GUI tty by CLT + ALT+ FN . This no longer works in Mint 13 Maya.No other way than system reboot.

I am gonna try buzzingrobot's suggestion of installing CENTOS next.

I have never opened a laptop , thus bit reluctant at opening and checking it. As suggested by sunfromhere, insane_alien & others , this might be a dust/ thermal paste issue.If centos won't work , I am gonna open up the laptop.

Thanks you all for valuable suggestions.
    Last edited by MikeMiracle; July 11th, 2012 at 02:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

UPDATE

CENTOS

Unfortunately I couldn't install CENTOS as it didn't recognize my wifi card. With wired connection also not working (altogether another issue , don't want to digress ), CENTOS doesn't look promising.

LINUX MINT 13

With Jupitor & kernal params for aspm & rc6 and proprietary fglrx as the video driver, Linux Mint 13 works OK. It hots up to 70s with live video. But OK as my system can tolerate up to 90 degree celsius. But mouse left click functionality stops occasionally and need a X restart occasionally.

STRATEGY

Now I think my issues (overheating and X ) are better addressed in latest kernels. Also I plan to use latest proprietary driver from ATI website directly , if open source driver has any problems.

IMMEDIATE PLAN

I am planning to try Fubuntu next for the 2 reasons

1. It has better power management & optimised for laptops
    2. It has 3.4 Kernel.

SUGGESTIONS?

Are you aware of any other distro fitting my needs ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMiracle View Post
    UPDATE

CENTOS

Unfortunately I couldn't install CENTOS as it didn't recognize my wifi card. With wired connection also not working (altogether another issue , don't want to digress ), CENTOS doesn't look promising.

LINUX MINT 13

With Jupitor & kernal params for aspm & rc6 and proprietary fglrx as the video driver, Linux Mint 13 works OK. It hots up to 70s with live video. But OK as my system can tolerate up to 90 degree celsius. But mouse left click functionality stops occasionally and need a X restart occasionally.

STRATEGY

Now I think my issues (overheating and X ) are better addressed in latest kernels. Also I plan to use latest proprietary driver from ATI website directly , if open source driver has any problems.

IMMEDIATE PLAN

2. It has 3.4 Kernel.

SUGGESTIONS?

12.10 dev might be worth trying too, maybe help also report any bugs early.

you may also check the 12.10 forums
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMiracle View Post
    UPDATE

CENTOS

LINUX MINT 13

STRATEGY

IMMEDIATE PLAN

2. It has 3.4 Kernel.

SUGGESTIONS?

I would suggest Fedora. It is more desktop oriented than CentOS. You will need to do a lot of configuration with CentOS to get it into a solid desktop. Fedora is very innovative and it will eventually become Red Hat. You get to see what Red Hat will be before it is made. Fedora has also gotten very good at detecting all your hardware with only free software.
    True freedom requires sacrifice and pain. Most human beings only think they want freedom. In truth they yearn for the bondage of social order, rigid laws, materialism, the only freedom man really wants, is the freedom to become comfortable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast