Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sys Admins are kind of like gods, aren't they?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Sys Admins are kind of like gods, aren't they?

I hope you won't mind - I posted this elsewhere, but wanted to see here, too, as it is one of my favourite forums.

A systems administrator has root access to the entire system. There is nothing they cannot do. They are omnipotent. Their power is absolute. Nothing dan stand before them. Like Sauron, the Dark Lord, they do not share power. There can be but one root. Else contradiction at the most fundamental level is possible, and that can not be tolerated. The sys admin's power is unconditional and non-negotiable. To be a sys admin is like being a god. (And if they are a god, what is the religion?)

There is an old saying that absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I wonder whether being a sys admin has ended up warping an individual. Perhaps a sys admin has become crazed or even gone berserk?

Surely sys admins must need to be very level headed people.

For example, imagine being 'the' sys admin for the NSA. (What an awesome job that would be!) Think about the access to data, the encryption keys, the secrets... Perhaps one day a sys admin might go bonkers, turn up for work and 'uninstall the entire NSA'! But you would have the same sorts of responsibilities working at a bank or other organization.

I wonder whether much emphasis is put on ensuring that sys admins are level headed in the first place and kept sweet in the second. Do they get paid well? I am sure they do not receive half of what they are worth, considering all the hard earned knowledge they have had to gain and the massive responsibility they have.
    Last edited by yeehi; July 9th, 2012 at 09:40 AM.
    Linux-libre ask for it
    Coreboot Free software to replace proprietary BIOS
    Trisquel a fully free GNU/Linux-libre distribution
    Open Source does not mean Free My Spec Earthlings

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Sys Admins are kind of like gods, aren't they?

While pay is dependent on company, there is indeed a high degree of responsibility and trust; a somewhat far cry from a deity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by yeehi View Post
    For example, imagine being 'the' sys admin for the NSA. (What an awesome job that would be!) Think about the access to data, the encryption keys, the secrets...
    I would imagine any security-conscious organisation would take strenuous steps to compartmentalise to a high degree. Individual sysadmins would not have access to any information that wasn't critical to their role.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You are of course correct.
    Sysadmins are omnipotent and omniscient.
    You should all worship their lofty magnificence.

(Did I mention that I am a Sysadmin?)
    The sig between the asterisks is SO COOL that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

Beans

Position comes with a LOT of responsibility and accountability.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    While pay is dependent on company, there is indeed a high degree of responsibility and trust; a somewhat far cry from a deity.
    Plus, if something gets screwed up, it all goes on the system administrator's head. They're also the ones that are on-call a lot if the facility needs to be running 24/7.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by angryfirelord View Post
    Plus, if something gets screwed up, it all goes on the system administrator's head. They're also the ones that are on-call a lot if the facility needs to be running 24/7.
    Yes, unfortunately the buck has to stop somewhere. Depending on what your systems are doing, it has the capability of being an immensely stressful job; how well you can deal with it is often a big factor in suitability.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I wonder whether being a sys admin has ended up warping an individual. Perhaps a sys admin has become crazed or even gone berserk?
    That is not good for a sysadmins continued career prospects
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

Here ya go: Linky.
    Last edited by thatguruguy; July 9th, 2012 at 12:37 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    I would imagine any security-conscious organisation would take strenuous steps to compartmentalise to a high degree. Individual sysadmins would not have access to any information that wasn't critical to their role.
    This. At least that is how it is supposed to be setup, whether it actually is or not is a different matter.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast