Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do I Install Ubuntu On A Partition?

Beans

How Do I Install Ubuntu On A Partition?

I created a fresh instalation of Windows XP so I could partition my hard drive to allow one side for Windows and the other for Ubuntu.

Now when I come to install Ubuntu from my Ubuntu boot CD, I am faced with a dialogue I struggle to comprehend, during the installation process.

My goal is to install Ubuntu on another partition, separate from where I installed Windows. I can't work out if this installation process means it's going to install Ubuntu on the same partition as Windows or onto another one that Ubuntu will create. When I try to install to the partition I left free for Ubuntu, I get an error message, saying "no root directory" or something like that.

I'm not confident of this step because I don't think I fully understand the process of HD partitioning to begin with, so I need some guidance. Please can you explain to me what I should do?
    Last edited by DoctorVarney; July 8th, 2012 at 08:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: How Do I Install Ubuntu On A Partition?

"No root directory" means that you haven't created a "root" for Ubuntu. Ubuntu uses "/" to symbolize the "root". Before I begin to advise you, I'd need some information about your setup just so I give you the correct information. We can start by you providing a screenshot from GParted, that way I can see what your partitions look like. To do this, boot from your Ubuntu LiveCD, select "Try Ubuntu", go to Dash (Ubuntu Logo top-left), and type in GParted, then select it. It will open up with your device information, take a screenshot of that with the PrintScreen button and post back here.
    Last edited by Shadius; July 8th, 2012 at 08:55 PM.
    Question Everything

Beans

Please begin by posting the output of this command from a live session:

Code:
    sudo parted -l

Beans

Thank for you for your time, Shadius. I couldn't figure out how to save the image from the screenshot but I've been able to note it accurately.

Information from Gparted is as follows:
    Partition: /dev/sda 1 File system: fat32 Size: 19.53 GiB Used: 5.60 GiB Unused: 19.93 GiB Flags: boot, lba

Partition: /dev/sda 2 File system: extended Size: 17.71 GiB Used: _ Unused: _ Flags: lba
    Partition: /dev/sda 5 (!) File system: unknown Size: 17.71 GiB Used: _ Unused: _ Flags: lba
    Information from: /dev/sda 5
    Warning:
    Unable to detect file system! Possible reasons are:
    _ The file system is damaged.
    _ The file system is unknown to Gparted.
    _ There is no file entry system available (unformatted)
    _The device entry /dev/sda 5 is missing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Please begin by posting the output of this command from a live session:

Code:
    sudo parted -l
    Thanks, though I think you assume prior understanding on my part. Assuming 'terminal' was the place to enter this command, the command appeared not to be recognised. By trying a few variants of the command, the volume did not appear to be recognised, but, as I say, my interpretation isn't to be fully trusted in these matters at present.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

During the installation process you will be asked "How do you want to install Ubuntu?"

Choose "Something Else"

Select the partition you would like to install Ubuntu on and click change.

Choose to use it as an ext4 journaling file system

Give a mountpoint of / from the drop down choices.

Tick/check the format box.

Do not do anything to the partition that contains windows.

That's it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

it's a small letter L on the end of that copmmand. hint: you can copy and paste commands into terminal (no need to type them ).

install to this partition: Partition: /dev/sda 5

you left it as empty disk space right? install will format it and repartition it. you can also do this using gparted.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    During the installation process you will be asked "How do you want to install Ubuntu?"

Choose "Something Else"

Select the partition you would like to install Ubuntu on and click change.

Choose to use it as an ext4 journaling file system

Give a mountpoint of / from the drop down choices.

Tick/check the format box.

Do not do anything to the partition that contains windows.

That's it.
    But I get messages such as "If you create a partition here it will delete all other partitions..." etc.

When I select that unallocated space (where I want to install Ubuntu) the option to "Choose" is greyed and I can't seem to do anything with it.

Evidently, Ubuntu isn't going to install on unallocated areas of the hard disk. Somehow, I need to format a partition in order to install it and I don't know how to do that.

The only thing it does seem to want to do is "Do things to the partition that contains Windows".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorVarney View Post
    But I get messages such as "If you create a partition here it will delete all other partitions..." etc.

When I select that unallocated space (where I want to install Ubuntu) the option to "Choose" is greyed and I can't seem to do anything with it.

Evidently, Ubuntu isn't going to install on unallocated areas of the hard disk. Somehow, I need to format a partition in order to install it and I don't know how to do that.

The only thing it does seem to want to do is "Do things to the partition that contains Windows".
    Take a screenshot of gparted using the screenshot app from the live cd, open a reply click the paperclip in the reply panel and load the screenshot to the reply.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    it's a small letter L on the end of that copmmand. hint: you can copy and paste commands into terminal (no need to type them ).
    I'd love to but, I'm not sure how this would work when I turn the machine off to boot from my CD drive.

install to this partition: Partition: /dev/sda 5
    Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    you left it as empty disk space right? install will format it and repartition it. you can also do this using gparted.
    Yes, I did. But it doesn't seem as though I'm being given the option to do so by the installer.

Oh, I can use Gparted to format that partition (dev/sda 5)?
    That sounds more like it. I'll give it a go. I take it this works on the Live Version?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast