Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Do I Install Ubuntu On A Partition?

Beans

Re: How Do I Install Ubuntu On A Partition?

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    i
    anyway this is how install goes: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing
    Great! On the subject of installation options:
    "Select the third option if you know a lot about partitions and want to manually configure stuff yourself. If you know enough to select the third option, you don't need a tutorial telling you what to do."
    Except, I DO, because I knew just enough to make the partitions while formatting from my Windows CD... Just not enough to freestyle it in Linux! (There's a law which states that there is always someone who knows just enough to m*ss things up. Presently, that 'someone' unfortunately is me).

Next option:
    "If you want to install Ubuntu next to Windows so you can choose which operating system you want at boot-up, select the first option. As mentioned before, do this only if you don't anticipate even a small possiblity of returning exclusively to Windows. A traditional dual-boot can be undone but it's not easy."
    I hope not to want want to return exclusively to Windows - but so far I haven't had the chance to ascertain the dependability of WINE. The hope is that I won't need to worry about that. If I could be sure I could do without it, I'd ditch Windows in the blink of an eye.

My big query with this one is that I went to the trouble of installing Windows on a partition so that I could use the other partition for Linux-Ubuntu. If it goes and installs right next to Windows, on the same partition, then I feel I will have wasted one half of my available disk space. If this option installs it to the free partition, then it's the one for me.

Otherwise, I'll need to learn how to make swap space. That's the part that eludes me the most at present.
    Last edited by DoctorVarney; July 9th, 2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: language

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

if oyu install with reformat the swap partition will be created automaticly by installer. if you create swap by yourself then you create a partition in gparted and name it /swap.

the easiest way to isntall next to windows XP is to go to windows disk manager and create empty disk space next to it (unformatted) then choose to install to this unformated disk space. it will be formated during install (probably to deafult option ext4) and /swap will be created automaticly. the instalation preety much involves clicking next button and typing in the user name and password.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    if oyu install with reformat the swap partition will be created automaticly by installer. if you create swap by yourself then you create a partition in gparted and name it /swap.

the easiest way to isntall next to windows XP is to go to windows disk manager and create empty disk space next to it (unformatted) then choose to install to this unformated disk space. it will be formated during install (probably to deafult option ext4) and /swap will be created automaticly. the instalation preety much involves clicking next button and typing in the user name and password.
    Pretty much sums it up.
    Question Everything

Beans

Thank you, everyone... a BIG hearty THANK YOU for your efforts!

I now have Ubuntu up and running.

With a combination of advice in this thread, I've managed to get up and running. Shadius, Mastablasta and others.

What I did was went back into Windows XP and deleted the partition I'd intended to run Ubuntu on. Then I went back into Ubuntu (Live CD Version) and installed on what the installer instantly recognised as 'free space'. Set 4GB of swap (twice my RAM) and hoped for the best.

It worked! You guys are great!!!

There are some small issues, like trying to work out GNOME desktop but it's early days and I'll post some more questions soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorVarney View Post
    Thank you, everyone... a BIG hearty THANK YOU for your efforts!

I now have Ubuntu up and running.

With a combination of advice in this thread, I've managed to get up and running. Shadius, Mastablasta and others.

What I did was went back into Windows XP and deleted the partition I'd intended to run Ubuntu on. Then I went back into Ubuntu (Live CD Version) and installed on what the installer instantly recognised as 'free space'. Set 4GB of swap (twice my RAM) and hoped for the best.

It worked! You guys are great!!!

There are some small issues, like trying to work out GNOME desktop but it's early days and I'll post some more questions soon.
    Congratulations!
    Question Everything

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    Congratulations!
    No. Congratulations to you, Sir!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorVarney View Post
    No. Congratulations to you, Sir!
    You said you were experiencing some issues after installation, what were they? Maybe we can help you resolve those too!
    Question Everything

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123