Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do I Install Ubuntu On A Partition?

Beans

Re: How Do I Install Ubuntu On A Partition?

Okay, guys - I'm using Firefox in Ubuntu from the live CD. This more like it. I didn't realise at first that I could actually use Ubuntu in live mode.

Okay, how do I post the screenshot?

The problem I have now is that when I go: - Device > Partition Table -
    I get a message saying: Warning! This will erase ALL data on the ENTIRE disk.
    Obviously, I'm fearful of doing that. I'm not sure if it means it will delete all data (obviously none present) on the partition or wipe my entire hard disk, taking Windows and everything else with it.

Please note, you really need to treat me as a foreigner who does not know the alphabet. I pick things up fast but this is completely new to me and half the things that are being said involve commands and processes I'm not familiar with yet. Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    you can also do this using gparted.
    I'd love to. Please can you explain how?
    Last edited by DoctorVarney; July 9th, 2012 at 08:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Smile Re: How Do I Install Ubuntu On A Partition?

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorVarney View Post
    Okay, guys - I'm using Firefox in Ubuntu from the live CD. This more like it. I didn't realise at first that I could actually use Ubuntu in live mode.

Okay, how do I post the screenshot?

The problem I have now is that when I go: - Device > Partition Table -
    I get a message saying: Warning! This will erase ALL data on the ENTIRE disk.
    Obviously, I'm fearful of doing that. I'm not sure if it means it will delete all data (obviously none present) on the partition or wipe my entire hard disk, taking Windows and everything else with it.

Please note, you really need to treat me as a foreigner who does not know the alphabet. I pick things up fast but this is completely new to me and half the things that are being said involve commands and processes I'm not familiar with yet. Sorry about that.

I'd love to. Please can you explain how?
    Yes, you can use Ubuntu from the LiveCD without actually doing an install. The LiveCD serves as various tools, whether getting a taste of the Ubuntu operating system or using it to repair things. The screenshot should be located either in your Home folder or your Pictures folder. I'm assuming you're using Ubuntu 12.04? If so, on the left side of the desktop is the Launcher, there's a folder icon there (hovering over it will display "Home Folder" caption), click it and locate your screenshot. Now to post it, come back to here, reply and attach the screenshot using the paperclip icon in the message toolbar. It will open up a window for you to browse for your screenshot. Again, find your screenshot and upload it and submit your reply.

I hope my instructions were clear enough. If you don't understand something, just ask. I will try my best to help you with any issue you come across. I can understand feeling lost when you're new to something as I was an absolute beginner myself (still kind of am).
    Last edited by Shadius; July 9th, 2012 at 08:37 AM.
    Question Everything

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    During the installation process you will be asked "How do you want to install Ubuntu?"

Choose "Something Else"

Select the partition you would like to install Ubuntu on and click change.

Choose to use it as an ext4 journaling file system

Give a mountpoint of / from the drop down choices.

Tick/check the format box.

Do not do anything to the partition that contains windows.

That's it.
    Okay, I got as far as being able to do the above. Now I get a message about swap space. It says that I have not allocated any swap space and that I need to. I know what this means, but what do I have to do next to resolve this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorVarney View Post
    Okay, I got as far as being able to do the above. Now I get a message about swap space. It says that I have not allocated any swap space and that I need to. I know what this means, but what do I have to do next to resolve this?
    Just as how you selected the filesystem for Ubuntu as EXT4, designate an amount of space for Ubuntu to use as swap space. Generally, I think the recommened amount of swap space is supposed to be twice the amount of RAM you have.
    Question Everything

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    I'm assuming you're using Ubuntu 12.04?
    Yes, I am using Ubuntu 12.04.

Now to post it, come back to here, reply and attach the screenshot using the paperclip icon in the message toolbar. It will open up a window for you to browse for your screenshot. Again, find your screenshot and upload it and submit your reply.
    Okay, I've attached it. Not sure how to make it appear in my message though.

I hope my instructions were clear enough. If you don't understand something, just ask. I will try my best to help you with any issue you come across. I can understand feeling lost when you're new to something as I was an absolute beginner myself (still kind of am).
    Yes, really good for me. Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Also, as one user suggested, running the following command from the Terminal will help:

Code:
    sudo parted -l
    The Terminal is located on the Launcher as well. Once you click on the Terminal, it will open for you to type in the command. Type in the command and press Enter. You will be prompted for your password, type it in and press Enter again. Then post back the results here by highlighted the results, right-click, select Copy then paste it between code tags in a reply here by pressing the "#" symbol. It will give you tags that looks like this: [CODE][CODE]
    Last edited by Shadius; July 9th, 2012 at 09:09 AM.
    Question Everything

Beans

Also, as one user suggested, running the following command from the Terminal will help:
    Okay, thank you for the explanation.

The output from that command is as follows:

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo parted -l
    Model: ATA WDC WD400BD-75MR (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 40.0GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system  Flags
     1      32.3kB  21.0GB  21.0GB  primary   fat32        boot, lba
     2      21.0GB  40.0GB  19.0GB  extended               lba
     5      21.0GB  40.0GB  19.0GB  logical                lba

Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system).  /dev/sr0
    has been opened read-only.
    Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk!                           

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$
    The reason I was unable to copy & paste before, was that I was rebooting to switch from Linux to Windows. I don't need to do that now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

it does seem a bit strange. if that partition 2 is empty (i.e. no filesystem on it) is should be unalocated disk space (like the 8GB on the end of the disk). it's like you cretaed a partition inside partition.

anyway this is how install goes: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing

if the partition is empty you should be able to install there.

otherwise it will want to format it.

if oyu manage to get the option "install to largest free disk space" all partition will be done automaticly.

oh in linux / (root) is similar to what windows calls C:\
    /home - (can be separate partition) is sort fo what My Documents are in Windows
    /swap is sort of what page file is in windows (if you have lower than 4 Gb ram i think you need it 2x the size of RAM). e.g. you have 512MB ram you need 1GB swap. but it would be good to have at least 512MB. i tis actually not needed but it is best to have it. in case you run out of ram while working with PC the disk is then used.

here is a nice guide (though /home is not necessary to be on separate partition - i don't have it): http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/35676...your-linux-pc/

Here is a nice picture explanaiton of file scheme in Linux : http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/09/...tem-structure/

not that to change any files outside of home (such as new programme install, changing configuration files, changing partitions...) admin user password is required and in ubuntu it usually involves command sudo or gksu (for graphical interfaces). that way viruses can't inffect the system without you permission (a clever and one of many security layers).
    Last edited by mastablasta; July 9th, 2012 at 09:36 AM.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Okay, so from your screenshot of GParted, you have a hard disk drive of 37.25 GiB and your Windows installation is on a FAT32 filesystem and has 19.53 GiB. Your Windows partition is called /dev/sda1. We will not need to touch this! Your second partition, which is called /dev/sda2 is an extended partition, which has another partition called /dev/sda5. This is what we'll be touching! So when you chose Something Else you would have selected /dev/sda5 and made the mount point of /, which is called root by following the instructions as you did earlier. However, something is puzzling me from your screenshot. I don't know why it says "unknown" instead of unallocated space as it shows for the other one. Did you try anything with the /dev/sda5 partition previously?
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Choosing the Install Ubuntu Alongside Windows... would be the easier way to do the install. Choosing the Something Else option lets you have more control of the partitions, if you know how to set up the partitions. In this case, I think you should choose the option to install Ubuntu alongside Windows, but if you want to have control of your partitions, we can do that method too. I'll be happy to provide some information to get you up to speed about understanding partitioning.
    Question Everything

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast