Thread: Screen res ?

Beans

Exclamation Screen res ?

I have set the screen resolution to 1024 - 768 @ 60 Hz. When i restart the system with the monitor off, it defaults to 640 - 480. I need this to be the first setting as when it is 640-480 the screen is to small to work with. I connect remotely to the pc to make any adjustments that are necessary and need to have a good size screen of 1024-768. Is this a bug or is there a work around ?
    Last edited by SteffJay; June 23rd, 2006 at 08:41 AM.
    HP MediaSmart Server EX470. 2Gb Ram, AMD64 bit processor (running 32bit). 350Gb Hitachi HDD. Running LUbuntu v14.04.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Thumbs up Re: Screen res ?

Quote Originally Posted by SteffJay
    I have set the screen resolution to 1024 - 768 @ 60 Hz. When i restart the system with the monitor off, it defaults to 640 - 480. I need this to be the first setting as i connect remotely to the pc to make any adjustments that are necessary. Is this a bug or is there a work around ?
    Sorry I don't have a solution, but >= I do have the same problem.

-enyaw

p.s. This occurs on my machine even with the monitor on!
    Regards
    Compaq DeskPro Warrior

Beans

Re: Screen res ?

It seems to me that it detects the monitor (when the monitor is switched on) you are using and loads the driver for it then it applys the setting that you set when you first installed Ubuntu. If on bootup it detects no monitor, it automatically defaults to 640-480 because it thinks that there is no monitor there !! Looking at the screen-res app, you can set the screen by default but it says that this default setting is for servers only ??? (just a guess).
    HP MediaSmart Server EX470. 2Gb Ram, AMD64 bit processor (running 32bit). 350Gb Hitachi HDD. Running LUbuntu v14.04.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

It seems to me that it detects the monitor (when the monitor is switched on) you are using and loads the driver for it then it applys the setting that you set when you first installed Ubuntu. If on bootup it detects no monitor, it automatically defaults to 640-480 because it thinks that there is no monitor there !! Looking at the screen-res app, you can set the screen by default but it says that this default setting is for servers only ??? (just a guess).
    I was incorrect...It doe not occur when the screen is turned on. I wanted to inform you and others of this so that my earlier input would not cloud your thinking. I stiil have no solution.
    Regards
    Compaq DeskPro Warrior

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Screen res ?

XServer tries to deterimine the best resolution and refresh rate at startup.
    It does this firstly by polling the screen to figure out what the highest supported refresh rates is.
    If your screen is switched off the lowest refresh rate and thus the lowest resolution is assumed.

For all the juicy bits on how to configure your xserver to use the same settings at startup (regardless of whether the screen is switched on or not) follow this link
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=454217

Hope it helps
    Worked for me

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by digidruid
    XServer tries to deterimine the best resolution and refresh rate at startup.
    It does this firstly by polling the screen to figure out what the highest supported refresh rates is.
    If your screen is switched off the lowest refresh rate and thus the lowest resolution is assumed.

For all the juicy bits on how to configure your xserver to use the same settings at startup (regardless of whether the screen is switched on or not) follow this link
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=454217

Hope it helps
    Worked for me
    Great direction here...thanks
    Regards
    Compaq DeskPro Warrior

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Question Re: Screen res ?

I'm curious....did the suggestion from digidruid "South Africa" help.

Thx...enyaw
    Regards
    Compaq DeskPro Warrior