Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Display shows as laptop on a desktop

Beans

Re: Display shows as laptop on a desktop

I was looking around and saw this. Might it be the answer you were looking for?
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/12905...nvidia-drivers

Hope it helps!
    -UrFriendlyVirus

Beans

If everything is working fine as above poster said just ignore it. I have a envision 17" crt that is identified as a 17" flat screen but everything works as expected so i just forget about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Cool Re: Display shows as laptop on a desktop

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi!, Shadius,

To check what nvidia driver, if any, is installed:
    Code:
    lspci | grep -iA2 VGA
    sudo apt-cache policy nvidia-current
    cat /sys/module/nvidia/version
    The System Details showing a Desktop Monitor as 'Laptop.', and failing to correctly identify the graphics card and driver, is a well known bug in 12.04 LTS. - Ignore it.

Chao!, bogan.
    Here's my output:
    Code:
    shadius@shadius-asus:~$ lspci | grep -iA2 VGA
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV44A [GeForce 6200] (rev a1)
    02:05.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 13)
    02:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 03)
    shadius@shadius-asus:~$ sudo apt-cache policy nvidia-current
    [sudo] password for shadius: 
    nvidia-current:
      Installed: 295.40-0ubuntu1
      Candidate: 295.40-0ubuntu1
      Version table:
     *** 295.40-0ubuntu1 0
            500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/restricted i386 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    shadius@shadius-asus:~$ cat /sys/module/nvidia/version
    shadius@shadius-asus:~$
    I've included some additional screenshots to give you as much information as possible. I've been noticing some peculiar things happening on my display. If this current driver is going to bring about problems later, I want to install the right driver. Also, could you tell me the difference between the two drivers shown in the Additional Drivers window. Thank you.
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, Shadius,

A quick search of the Nvidia site recommends the 295.59 driver for your 6200 card.
    http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/linux...driver-uk.html

The 295.40 driver you are using is the bugged one that caused all the varied and unpredictable trouble starting in April; especially with 5xxx and 6xxx series cards.

However, if it works for you, and the only problem you have is the silly bug in 12.04 System Details which shows the screen as a 'Laptop', then why change it?.

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; July 12th, 2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Link added
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, Shadius,

A quick search of the Nvidia site recommends the 295.59 driver for your 6200 card.
    http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/linux...driver-uk.html

The 295.40 driver you are using is the bugged one that caused all the varied and unpredictable trouble starting in April; especially with 5xxx and 6xxx series cards.

However, if it works for you, and the only problem you have is the silly bug in 12.04 System Details which shows the screen as a 'Laptop', then why change it?.

Chao!, bogan.
    Thank you! How did you find this so quickly? I've been searching since I started this thread! Could you instruct me on how to install this new driver?
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, Shadius,

You Posted:
    Thank you! How did you find this so quickly? I've been searching since I started this thread! Could you instruct me on how to install this new driver?
    I found it by entering your video card details in the Nvidia site search panels.

The quick and dirty way to install the driver is as follows: [ If it does not work, Post again and I will give you the full version.]

This depends on your having access to a text terminal [ tty], a working internet connection, and an already installed nvidia driver.

Press 'Ctrl+Alt+F1', [ or F2-F6] login and enter password, [ it will not show] just type and press 'Enter'. [ 'Ctrl+Alt+F7' will return to the GUI,
    Run:
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm stop
    sudo nvidia-installer --latest
    This will confirm the Web connection and report the version installed and version that will be downloaded and installed instead, but will notchange anything.
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-installer -f
    This will un-install the old version and replace it with the version it downloads.

You may get a warning that a script has failed - ignore it - accept the various options, navigating with 'Tab' and pressing 'Enter' to accept.

Reboot.

Post how you got on.

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; July 13th, 2012 at 10:14 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.

Beans
    Distro

Hey bogan!

I followed your instructions, but I get a prompt that the nvidia-installer command was not found. I had to reboot to get back to my system because using Ctrl+Alt+F7 didn't bring me back. Am I doing something wrong?
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, Shadius,

I do not think you did anything wrong. if you had used:
    Code:
    you would have needed to run:
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm start
    before 'Ctrl+Alt+F7', for it to work. [My bad ]

Check in /usr/bin/ to see if 'nvidia-installer' is there. If not, we will have to use a different route.

If it is there, then try again, but this time, after logging in on a tty, enter:
    Code:
    cd /usr/bin # the prompt will change
    sudo ./nvidia-installer --latest
    Then continue as previous instruction.

[The: './' means: 'look in the current directory, not in the normal path.']

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; July 13th, 2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: spacing

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, Shadius,

I do not think you did anything wrong. if you had used:
    Code:
    you would have needed to run:
    Code:
    before 'Ctrl+Alt+F7', for it to work. [My bad ]

Check in /usr/bin/ to see if 'nvidia-installer' is there. If not, we will have to use a different route.

If it is there, then try again, but this time, after logging in on a tty, enter:
    Code:
    cd /usr/bin # the prompt will change
    sudo ./nvidia-installer --latest
    Then continue as previous instruction.

[The: './' means: 'look in the current directory, not in the normal path.']

Chao!, bogan.
    No nvidia-installer in my /usr/bin.
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, Shadius,

Right so here is the full version.
    [This is based on Post #280 of MAFoElffen's Blank Screen magnum opus Sticky in Installations &Upgrades.]

To Install the nvidia driver it is necessary to reboot to a Text Terminal, or shut down the Xsession from a GUI screen, as the nvidia driver must be installed when the Xserver and GUI screen is inactive. Then CD to the folder where you have downloaded the .run file, make it executable and run it.

However, the first time you do this there are some preparatory steps: first you should add some Blacklists to the /etc/modprobe.d folder; then ensure the necessary build procedures are installed, and it is also advisable to purge any previous nvidia installations.

1.: Add blacklists: In a terminal enter:
    Code:
     sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    If the file does not exis, gedit will show a blank screen with that name, add:
    Code:
     # Added for nvidia driver.
    blacklist nouveau
    blacklist lbm-nouveau
    Save and close gedit.

2.: Prep and make sure everything is there for any dependencies, and Cleanup:
    Ensure you have fully updated your installation.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc-4.5 g++-4.5 libxi-dev libxmu-dev freeglut3-dev
    Run 'uname -r' and insert the output in the following command: substituting it for 'uname -r', for example:
    "sudo apt-get install linux-headers-3.2.0-26-generic-pae"

Code:
    uname -r
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-'uname -r'
    sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall # if you do not have nvidia-installer this is not necessary
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-*
    You may get some 'file not found' messages on the 4th or 5th command. That is okay. Continue. We just want to make sure that older modules are removed or not there so that they don't cause a conflict.

3.: Down load the appropriate driver from nvidia.com:
    http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/linux...driver-uk.html That is for the 32.bit version, make sure you have the correct one.

4. To install the downloaded driver, Xorg cannot be running. You need to shut down the X-Session. In a termina,l enter:
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm stop # If using 10.10 or earlier use 'gdm' in place of 'lightdm'
    You will get a black screen; if it does not have a login prompt, to get one, press 'Ctrl+Alt+F1' [or F2-F6], login, enter your password.[ It will not show, just enter it and press 'Enter'. If you need to return to the GUI screen, first run:
    Code:
    Then press: 'Ctrl+Alt+F7' ]

Alternatively, reboot into recovery and a TTY Text Console and login:

5.: Installing the driver. In the following substitute the correct file name:

Change directory [cd] to the directory where you saved your file.
    eg.:
    Code:
     cd /home/username/Downloads
    ls
    Running 'ls' will confirm you are in the right place and you can be sure the spelling is correct - entering 'NV' and pressing 'Tab' will Auto-complete the file name.

Mark the downloaded file as executable:
    Code:
    sudo chmod a+x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-295.59.run
    { AT this point you can, if you wish, check that your Internet connection is OK by:
    Code:
    sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-295.59.run --latest
    This will show the latest version available, and the version installed, if any, but will not change anything.}

Run the file to Install drivers:
    Code:
    sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-295.59.run
    You may get an error message about a failed script, continue, accept the options, navigating by using 'Tab' and pressing 'Enter'.

When complete, reboot,
    Code:
     sudo reboot.
    If necessary edit the grub boot menu script, by pressing 'e' with the boot option highlighted and entering 'nomodset' after 'splash ' in the Linux line where it shows "ro quiet splash ", and pressing 'Ctrl+x' to boot.

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; July 14th, 2012 at 06:22 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast