Thread: symlinks and launchers stopped working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

symlinks and launchers stopped working

Just upgraded from Lucid Lynx to Maverick Meerkat and my symlinks and launchers stopped working. So far (it's been just a couple of hours) I 'think' that the only symlinks and launchers effected are the ones that used to refer to my external HD, which is MOST (several hundred) of my symlinks and launchers.

This actually happened within the first third of the upgrade process so there must be a configuration file somewhere, fstab or smb.conf (though I'm pretty sure I'm barking up the wrong tree on the latter one) that was altered or replaced.

I notice in nautilus, that the path of my external drive (at the top) still says "Signature Mini" like it always has. However when I do a "CTRL+L" to copy or edit the path, it will then include "/media/sdb1/" in the path name. It hadn't done that previously so I know there is a clue to what has happened there.

I've done some googling and ubuntuforuming, and I'm looking over https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingUUID even as I post this.

Help point me in the right direction if you can think of one; thanks!
    Last edited by tg3793; July 7th, 2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Forgot to add an important piece of info
    ~ It has recently been discovered that research causes cancer in rats. ~

BTW; I'm using Linux Mint (based on Precise) with MATE so modify Q/A accordingly if applicable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: symlinks and launchers stopped working

Never mind. Morbius reached from the past and into the future from this thread to give me the answers that I needed. And as I read over that thread I could remember the whole issue all over again. Which brings to my mind; how did that fstab entry get back in there again?

In any case, after commenting out the fstab entry for sdb1 completely, I followed the instructions below and everything was back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    Step 1: If you have the external drive mounted - unmount it.

Step 2: Disconnect the exteranl drive from the machine.

Step 3: Make sure your fstab entry for the external drive has been removed.

Step 4: Run the following command:
    Code:
    sudo mount -a
    Step 5: Connect the external drive to the machine
    ~ It has recently been discovered that research causes cancer in rats. ~

BTW; I'm using Linux Mint (based on Precise) with MATE so modify Q/A accordingly if applicable.