Thread: can't reset root password for mysql on ubuntu 3.2

Beans

Exclamation can't reset root password for mysql on ubuntu 3.2

I'm just new to mysql so I apologize for any silly questions.
    My problem started off with me not being able to log in as root anymore into my mysql install. I was attempting to run mysql without passwords turned on... but whenever I would run the command :

Code:
            # mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables &
    I would never get a prompt back... (I was trying to follow the instructions here: http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/recove...-password.html)
    The screen just looks like this:
    Code:
         root@jj-SFF-PC:/usr/bin# mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables
         120816 11:40:53 mysqld_safe Logging to syslog.
         120816 11:40:53 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
    and i don't get a prompt to start typing the sql commands to reset the password.

when i kill it by doing a ctrl-c, i get the following message:

Code:
    error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)'
    Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' exists!
    If I retry the command and leave it long enough, I do get the following series of messages:

Code:
            root@jj-SFF-PC:/run/mysqld# 120816 13:15:02 mysqld_safe Logging to syslog.
    120816 13:15:02 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
    120816 13:16:42 mysqld_safe mysqld from pid file /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid ended

[1]+  Done                    mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables
    root@jj-SFF-PC:/run/mysqld#
    But then if i try to log in as root by doing:

Code:
       # mysql -u root
    I get the following error message:

Code:
            ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
    I checked and /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock file doesn't not exist. The folder does, but not the file.
    Also, I dunno if this helps or not, but I found did a "find / -name mysqld" and it came up with:

Code:
         /var/run/mysqld - folder
         /usr/sbin/mysqld - file
         /run/mysqld - folder
    I'm just new to linux and mysql, so i don't know if this is normal or not. But I'm including this info just in case it helps ...

any suggestions? I'm running on ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: can't reset root password for mysql on ubuntu 3.2

Your mysql daemon is not running, that's why you get the 'Error 2002'; if you look in one of the earlier codeblocks that you posted, it states that it's ended.

You simply do not always get a prompt back when you 'push' a program to the background till you press <enter>, regardless if the command is successful or not.

You can try the solution in post #4 in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1836919 It's probably the quickest way; also read post #2 for possible mysql statements to reset the password.

PS
    Don't follow random instructions from the web; follow specific instructions for Ubuntu.
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom View Post
    Your mysql daemon is not running, that's why you get the 'Error 2002'; if you look in one of the earlier codeblocks that you posted, it states that it's ended.

You simply do not always get a prompt back when you 'push' a program to the background till you press <enter>, regardless if the command is successful or not.

You can try the solution in post #4 in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1836919 It's probably the quickest way; also read post #2 for possible mysql statements to reset the password.

PS
    Don't follow random instructions from the web; follow specific instructions for Ubuntu.
    Thanks for the response Wim. I've tried post #2, i get the following message:

InnoDB: Unable to lock ./ibdata1, error: 11
    InnoDB: Check that you do not already have another mysqld process
    InnoDB: using the same InnoDB data or log files.
    InnoDB: Check that you do not already have another mysqld

and it just keeps going...

Beans

PS
    Thanks for the response Wim. I've tried post #2, i get the following message:

InnoDB: Check that you do not already have another mysqld

and it just keeps going...

i wasn't sure where this ibdata1 was located so i tried to do a find on it but i was getting a huge list of files with "permission denied" next to it.

i did find the following in my /var/lib/mysql folder:

ls -l /var/lib/mysql
    total 45080
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Aug 10 15:25 debian-5.5.flag
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 mysql mysql 35651584 Aug 16 08:50 ibdata1
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 mysql mysql 5242880 Aug 16 08:50 ib_logfile0
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 mysql mysql 5242880 Aug 14 09:46 ib_logfile1
    drwxrwxrwx 2 mysql root 4096 Aug 10 15:26 mysql
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 Aug 10 15:26 mysql_upgrade_info
    drwxrwxrwx 2 mysql mysql 4096 Aug 10 15:25 performance_schema
    drwxrwxrwx 2 mysql mysql 4096 Aug 10 15:28 phpmyadmin
    drwxrwxrwx 2 mysql mysql 4096 Aug 14 09:50 racktables
    drwxrwxrwx 2 mysql root 4096 Aug 10 15:25 test

Beans
    Distro

You start with post #4 and login to the mysql server using the debian-sys-maint user (normal mysql server running, no need for something special).

Post #2 was only referred to for the commands update user set password=password('yourpassword') where user='root' and grant all privileges on *.* to 'root'@'localhost' identified by 'yourpassword' with grant option
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans

You start with post #4 and login to the mysql server using the debian-sys-maint user (normal mysql server running, no need for something special).

Post #2 was only referred to for the commands update user set password=password('yourpassword') where user='root' and grant all privileges on *.* to 'root'@'localhost' identified by 'yourpassword' with grant option
    Wim, i don't know the password for debian-sys-maint user. The guy who installed this mysql database says he set it up as a certain value, but its not working
    =(

Should i just reinstall mysql?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cpama View Post
    Wim, i don't know the password for debian-sys-maint user. The guy who installed this mysql database says he set it up as a certain value, but its not working
    =(

Should i just reinstall mysql?
    Don't you know the password or does it not work? The password for debian-sys-maint is in the file /etc/mysql/debian.cnf (as said in post #4 in the other thread). If it does not exist in there, the Ubuntu update manager might not be able to configure mysql when updating it.

The only reason why it would not work with debian-sys-maint is if somebody fiddled with that mysql account (removed it or changed password).

If you really can't get in, a re-install is the only option (to my knowledge).

Good luck.

PS

Make a binary backup (copy files) from everything in /var/lib/mysql. You might need it later to restore.
    Last edited by Wim Sturkenboom; August 17th, 2012 at 08:08 AM.