Page 3 of 88 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadcom 4306 With Ndiswrapper 54 Mbps

Beans

Re: Broadcom 4306 With Ndiswrapper 54 Mbps

I downloaded some new drivers and they appear to have installed fine. I was also able to follow the rest of the instructions without any problems. Unfortunately, my wireless connection still isn't working. The Network Manager says that it is an active wlan0 connection, wireless networks are visible from the properties screen, and the Network Monitor says that the connection is idle. But the connection still isn't working...I've tried rebooting and re-entering my WEP password a couple of times, but it still isn't working. Now what?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have no idea sorry. I've never heard of this problem before.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bunnicula
    I downloaded some new drivers and they appear to have installed fine. I was also able to follow the rest of the instructions without any problems. Unfortunately, my wireless connection still isn't working. The Network Manager says that it is an active wlan0 connection, wireless networks are visible from the properties screen, and the Network Monitor says that the connection is idle. But the connection still isn't working...I've tried rebooting and re-entering my WEP password a couple of times, but it still isn't working. Now what?
    Unfortunately you cannot use your specific windows drivers, you have to use the drivers that match both ndiswrapper and your family of wireless adapter. You may thus lose some vedor specific features but should be able to use the basic connectivity just fine. I discovered this during my epic struggle to get wireless working in Fedora 4.

Beans
    Distro

Get the drivers from home.nc.rr.com/thehinnants/drivers.

Beans

I used the drivers from here: home.nc.rr.com/thehinnants/stuff/drivers

It says the drivers are active but my wireless still doesn't work...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Yessss! This worked perfectly!!! Thank you!

This was the only post I found that adressed what the real problem was with my wireless setup.
    I didn't realize that the whole reason the wireless wouldn't work was because Ubuntu's native broadcom wireless driver was conflicting with ndiswrapper.
    The wireless device I am using is a Linksys WMP54G (version 2), which obviously uses a broadcom chip.

Thanks again for helping, I wish I had remembered that ubuntu already had a driver that I needed to blacklist!

Beans

I just realised that I didn't do this portion of the tutorial:

If you need WPA or WEP encryption do the following:

Code:

sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome

Code:

nm-applet

if you get a lot of error messages talking about the icon then run this command:

Code:

sudo gtk-update-icon-cache -f /usr/share/icons/hicolor/

Code:

sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces

Comment out anything in there at the bottom that has to do with your wireless essid. When I say comment out that means but a # in from of it. You can leave all of the lo, inet, and auto stuff.

Now click on the applet that came up in the top right corner and you should see all of the available connections. Click on yours and set it up.
    I had originally tried to do the part about the network manager, but I got some error messages. I then realised that there was already a Network Manager applet (or at least I assume that is what the computer icon in the right-hand corner is) and so I figured that I didn't need to do that part.

I just tried to do run the last line of code, but that didn't fix anything...is there something that I am missing (or doing horribly wrong)? I can see the wireless networks nearby (including my own), so I know that the card is working...could it have something to do with the encryption?
    Last edited by bunnicula; July 6th, 2006 at 04:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro

make sure you ran:.
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
    if you did that, you should have no problems. You don't have to run this command if can already see your interfaces in the nm-applet.

Beans

Sorry - irrelevant post. Cannot how to see to delete it.
    Last edited by benmoreassynt; July 6th, 2006 at 07:23 PM.

Beans

it worked very well, so I have now 54g instead of 11g with a native driver. However, I have to do
    Code:
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    every time after th eboot to bring the card up.
    Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -m
    does not help. Any suggestions?

Please note that I have had ndiswrapper before and then I switched to the native Linux driver provided in the kernel.
    ASUS Zenbook 14 Ubuntu 22.10

Page 3 of 88 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast