Thread: downloads can start superfast at 1MB/sec then slow down to 350KB

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

downloads can start superfast at 1MB/sec then slow down to 350KB

hi. on any browser I use it does this same thing basically the download likes to be at about 350KB at best which is not that bad but when i can get it too hit 1MB/sec it is much better. the best example i have is. i use firefox to with the downloadthemall addon to manage my downloads so i can manage the speed if need be and pause them and such and they are still there after machine restart. when i limit the speed on downloadthemall of a file say it is 100mb or any size really, i cap the speed off at 10-100kb/sec and when i click unlimited it downloads them up to 1MB/sec wow and when i have downloaded smaller files to see the result the whole file is thee and everything. but after i click unlimited it jumps to that 1mb a sec and slowing dwindles down to what is does constant which is 350kb sec. if i click it back and forth from a limit to unlimited it will keep downloaded it in spurts up to 1mb/sec. i would like my system to download constantly at this speed when i want it too but it never does. it will even go over 1mb and hit 1.5 sometimes.

any ideas? thanks hopefully that was detailed good enough

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: downloads can start superfast at 1MB/sec then slow down to 350KB

Check if your ISP has managed traffic. It may control the speed of larger downloads especially at peak times.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.