Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cron job to delete folders based on last modification date

Beans

Cron job to delete folders based on last modification date

We have a ubuntu server at my workplace set up as a backup box to store customers' files when they need a backup restore. We have a main folder named 'backup' and inside we create folders for each client based on the client's name, eg "jdoe" for John Doe. We then place their documents, etc. into that folder. The backup box is updated once a month, but otherwise it is not connected to the internet for security purposes.

We're looking to create a cron job to delete the folders after 3 days, based on each folder's creation date (I'm assuming this is also the last modification date). We want crontab to look at the client-name folders inside the 'backup' directory, and NOT the contents inside the client-name folders to decide the date. In other words, we want the folders deleted with their contents, making sure that only the last modification date of the client-name folder is used to determine when to delete. We've had bad cron jobs in the past that would delete files inside client-name folders prematurely, leaving the folders. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, let me know if a php script would do a better job with this.
    Last edited by freethnker; June 18th, 2012 at 09:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Cron job to delete folders based on last modification date

Hi freethnker. Welcome to the forums!

I wonder how much help do you need.

These are some general pointers. Tell us if you need more details:
    • I think a bash script will do the job more efficiently than a php script.
    • You can easily find file and folders which modification time is older that 3 days by using the 'find' command. For instance:
      Code:
      find -mtime +3
    • To automate a script using crontab, take a look at this tutorial.

I hope that points you in the right direction.
    Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by freethnker View Post
    The backup box is updated once a month, (...) a cron job to delete the folders after 3 days
    I don't get it. Should the backup be removed 27 days before there is a new backup? (You don't have to answer if everyone else seems to understand.)

based on each folder's creation date (I'm assuming this is also the last modification date).
    There is no "creation date" in Ubuntu. Unix files used to have timestamps for "creation", "modified", and "access". But now only the "modified" is reliable and useful. The modified time for a folder is basically the last time a file was created, removed or renamed in that folder (or when the folder was created if nothing have been added to it). That may be okey if files and subfolders are copied to the folder all at once. If there are subfolders and files are copied incrementally, there may be newer files in a subfolder that is not reflected in the modification time of the top folder.

We want crontab to look at the client-name folders inside the 'backup' directory, and NOT the contents inside the client-name folders to decide the date.
    Use find -maxdepth. Command find /backup/*/ -maxdepth 0 -mtime +3 will test the custom folders only.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by David Andersson View Post
    I don't get it. Should the backup be removed 27 days before there is a new backup? (You don't have to answer if everyone else seems to understand.)
    There may be many backups in there, we just want each client-folder be deleted 3 days after we created that folder and copied client's stuff in it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Andersson View Post
    Use find -maxdepth. Command find /backup/*/ -maxdepth 0 -mtime +3 will test the custom folders only.
    Does -maxdepth () mean that the search for modified date will only be executed on the client-name folders, but not inside them? If yes, than this is exactly what I was looking for.

I will run some tests. Thanks for your help!

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: Cron job to delete folders based on last modification date

I'm still a little confused here myself. You back up monthly, but you want to delete everything dealing with the client after 3 days? Does the client have their backups or some sort of redundancy? I'm sure you know what you're doing and we just don't understand. I come from a tech background myself, and disaster recovery was something we kept very sacred. We had redundancy in the way of raid, Oracle database set to archive everything, in-house nightly backups, in-house weekly backups, in-house montly backups, as well as dups of weekly and monthly off site in storage facitility inside old limestone caves.

There may be many backups in there, we just want each client-folder be deleted 3 days after we created that folder and copied client's stuff in it.
    So, I'm sure you must have other things happening, otherwise we have a hard time understand backing up monthly and deleting it all after 3 days. I hope you can understand our dilema, and perhaps explain a little more about what you are doing. That way we can help you with what's best, including help with the script. You see, if you want to wait 3 days and then delete everything in each of the folders that were updated 3 or more days ago, it makes it clearer for how we need to help you.

Dave

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anewguy View Post
    I'm still a little confused here myself. You back up monthly, but you want to delete everything dealing with the client after 3 days?.....
    Sorry for the confusion, but as stated in the original post, we do not backup the data on the server box at all. We run system updates once a month. We keep the server box disconnected from the internet pretty much all the time. The only time we connect it is about once a month to perform ubuntu system updates.

As to the client folders, those are the ones we need to have deleted automatically 3 days after modification date.

Hope this clarifies things.

Beans
    Distro

This from your opening post may be what is confusing us:

We have a ubuntu server at my workplace set up as a backup box to store customers' files when they need a backup restore
    Is what you are saying by you don't back up any data mean you are only trying to keep a backup of the initial setup?

At any rate, I'm not sure about copying things to the server and then deleting them. Is what you are saying is that you backup to the server (whatever that backup is) once a month, and those backups are created within 3 days, so when finished you want to delete the old folders (i.e., those not created during the current monthly backup)?

At any rate, given what papibe posted, you should be able to modify the find statement to include only the folders within a certain folder (like "backups"). It may be possible to pipe that output to rmdir - I'm just not sure on deleting a folder that isn't empty. Perhaps 2 commands are needed, 1 to pipe the output to rm to remove all the files in the folder(s), then a 2nd run to output to rmdir to remove the folders themselves.

I may be way off base here, so I'm hoping that if someone has better ideas that they will post them here. I'm sure there has to be a simple way to do this.

Dave

Beans

Let's disregard the first paragraph of my initial post as it seems to be causing confusion.

All I want is for the directories (aka folders with names based on the clients' name, for example a folder for John Doe containing his files would be named 'jdoe') to be deleted after 3 days.

I've tested this this cron job so far:
    Code:
    0 0 * * * find /home/user/Backups/* -maxdepth() -mtime +1 delete
    I put +1 so that I don't have to wait 3 days to see if it works. Checked this morning and the folder's still there with its contents. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Since they are non-empty folders, as you know things rmdir require a --force if I remember correctly. Is it failing because the folder is not empty?

For example, I think the -delete option (your sample show just delete - maybe I don't remember correctly) implies it will follow a tree. However, with just the * I would think - and I don't have a clue - that it would not delete files within a folder (*.*, which you obviously don't want to do on the Backups folder itself). If the result is no files are deleted, so there are still files in the folder, I don't know if the -delete option would work on a folder or not. Perhaps you already know this and I'm just shooting in the dark

Also, I *think* the -type d option says directories, but I'm not sure about that either.

It might be interesting to try your same command manually but change the "delete" (or -delete ??) to -print and see what it thinks it is processing.

Dave
    Last edited by anewguy; June 20th, 2012 at 06:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've tested this this cron job so far:
    Code:
    0 0 * * * find /home/user/Backups/* -maxdepth() -mtime +1 delete
    I put +1 so that I don't have to wait 3 days to see if it works. Checked this morning and the folder's still there with its contents. Any ideas?
    It's not parenteses, it's zero: -maxdepth NUMBER

Just "delete" won't work. You must tell find to execute a "rm" command or pipe the found file names to something else that applies the "rm" command. In find the option is: -exec COMMAND [COMMAND_OPTIONS] {} [COMMAND_OPTIONS] + or -exec COMMAND [COMMAND_OPTIONS] \;

The "+" syntax must have a "{}" placeholder where one or more filenames will be inserted. The "\;" syntax will execute exactly once for each filename. The filename is inserted last in the -exec command. See man find

There is a "-delete" option for find. It will delete one file at a time. Trying to use it to recursively delete these directories would make the find expression very much more complicated and bug prone.

There should be a log file where you can see error messages from cron jobs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast