Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Side-by-side install with Win7 fails

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Side-by-side install with Win7 fails

Quote Originally Posted by muffled tone View Post
    Hey all, thanks for the replies.

So I found GParted, ran it in Live session, and it says I have 4 partitions.
    While Windows' File Manager says I have 3?

According to GParted I have:
    1 NTFS 100 Mb (apparently locked by Windows)
    2 NTFS 100 Gb (1 for Win7 & 1 for my data)
    1 NTFS 270 Gb (I install my apps here, separate from Win7)
    I can also access all 4 in Lubuntu's File Manager.

So, since I have 4, I must delete 1?
    Does delete here mean erase the partition OR just make it empty/available?
    Ubuntu needs other then a NTFS type partition to run, if you want a swap partition and a main OS partition you would put a extended where the one removed from is and put the logicals for the swap and ubuntu there. Some like to have a seperate home partition a s well, personally I don't bother with a separate.

If you feel you would like exact instructions post a screen shot of gparted.

Be sure to have the windows cloned before doing anything, the OEM installs have a single clone option, any installs pro versions and above have unlimited clone options.

Having a full backup in a clone is always a good thing.

Beans

Thanks, wilee.
    I'll try making a snapshot of it, and backing up data & make image of Windows too.

Sorry to ask but, what does it mean to make extended partition? And then logical? I have no idea what that is, nor what the difference is with "normal" NTFS or FAT (sorry, I'm a total noob).

And if I make 1 partition for Lubuntu and 1 for swap, PLUS the 3 old ones, there'll be 5 of them. Didn't you say the max is 4? Will I have to delete more than 1 partition? (bummer if that's the case).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It means delete one and all the data in it. You will have to combine your Windows apps & data into one partition.

Then you can create a new extended partition with several Linux formated logical partitions inside it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall
    http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-instal...cise-pangolin/
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For the partition question I suggest you to read the wikipedia page : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning . Especially the section for primary and extended partition.

For the filesystems (NTFS, FAT, EXT, SWAP, etc.) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesys...rosoft_Windows

Beans

Okay, I got the snapshot of my partitions. But it's from Windows Disk Management tool as Mark pointed earlier, not from GParted. Hope that's fine, cause I'm not familiar yet to Lubuntu and doing it from Windows are easier for me.

I intend to erase the "D:" partition, leaving it as unused space if I understand correctly, then let Lubuntu do "Automatic Side-by-side Install" with Win7. Is this correct?

I'll try it, hope it works!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Thanks zwygart, I'll check them out.
    Really need to learn a lot more of these stuff.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by muffled tone View Post
    I intend to erase the "D:" partition, leaving it as unused space if I understand correctly, then let Lubuntu do "Automatic Side-by-side Install" with Win7. Is this correct?
    Yes, this will be the right way. Just pay attention to every step you do.

Beans

[zwygart: Yes, this will be the right way. Just pay attention to every step you do.]

It worked! Thanks for everyone's help.
    With only 3 used partition and enough free unpartitioned space, the "Install Lubuntu along with Windows 7" worked automatically.
    Now I can choose which one I want to boot at startup.

Everything in Lubuntu seems to work fine so far, except for my Broadcomm WiFi. A thread suggested to download from Synaptic Manager (if I'm not mistaken), but I couldn't find the package when I searched.

Plus, I don't have internet connection without my WiFi (I access this forum from Win7, where my WiFi works).
    Is it possible to download the package(s?) from Windows & install them in Lubuntu offline? If so, can anyone inform me what package(s) do need & where to find them?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

synaptic is the older package manager, which I prefer, but they are promoting Ubuntu software center.

Best to use hard wired Ethernet connection as then you can directly download all the updates and it may just suggest what driver you need for wireless.

If you know what .deb you need you can probably download any way you can and then install it.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks "oldfred".
    I don't know what packages I need to find, and since my WiFi is my only connection, guess I'll have to find some other way to do this.

Since I don't think it's appropriate to prolong this matter here, I'll mark it as solved & try to find more info on other threads. Thanks everyone for their kind help!

Some suggestions:
    1. Another thread stated that Broadcom WLan drivers are included in Ubuntu & Xubuntu Live CD, but not in Lubuntu. It would be really helpful to have this kind of basic thing working out of the box in Lubuntu.
    2. It's would've saved time & effort if the Lubuntu installer could detect & inform the user something like: "you have too many partitions already, please delete one", instead of just restarting without any explanation.

Well, just my 2 cents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12