Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Side-by-side install with Win7 fails

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    8

    Question Side-by-side install with Win7 fails

    I have an Acer Aspire 4741 with 2Gb RAM laptop with Windows 7 installed by manufacturer. I've never had any experience with Linux, but been interested for a while.

    I decided to try Lubuntu but don't want to dump Win7 just yet, so:
    1. I downloaded Lubuntu 12.04 x86 32-bit ISO and burned a Live CD
    2. I tried a Live session, all's fine except for WiFi issue
    3. Tried "Install Lubuntu within Windows 7, choose OS on boot" from within Live session, clicked "Next" and the screen turned black saying "Process terminated code [15]" or something, then telling me to eject CD and press [Enter] to restart and install. I think it should be asking me for which partition to use, not sure.
    4. I press Enter, it restarted and... I boot into Win7

    So I figured, maybe I need to install from outside Live session, so I tried again, but same thing happenned.
    I tried browsing my hard drive in case it's already installed but not available during boot menu, but no trace of Lubuntu whatsoever.

    Checked the MD5SUM but it's OK, CHKDSK was also OK.
    Tried searching the forum for something like this but couldn't find it, or maybe I was searching the wrong place?
    Anyway, can anyone help? Don't know what else to do.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Beans
    8,874
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Side-by-side install with Win7 fails

    Quote Originally Posted by muffled tone View Post
    I have an Acer Aspire 4741 with 2Gb RAM laptop with Windows 7 installed by manufacturer. I've never had any experience with Linux, but been interested for a while.

    I decided to try Lubuntu but don't want to dump Win7 just yet, so:
    1. I downloaded Lubuntu 12.04 x86 32-bit ISO and burned a Live CD
    2. I tried a Live session, all's fine except for WiFi issue
    3. Tried "Install Lubuntu within Windows 7, choose OS on boot" from within Live session, clicked "Next" and the screen turned black saying "Process terminated code [15]" or something, then telling me to eject CD and press [Enter] to restart and install. I think it should be asking me for which partition to use, not sure.
    4. I press Enter, it restarted and... I boot into Win7

    So I figured, maybe I need to install from outside Live session, so I tried again, but same thing happenned.
    I tried browsing my hard drive in case it's already installed but not available during boot menu, but no trace of Lubuntu whatsoever.

    Checked the MD5SUM but it's OK, CHKDSK was also OK.
    Tried searching the forum for something like this but couldn't find it, or maybe I was searching the wrong place?
    Anyway, can anyone help? Don't know what else to do.
    A Install inside windows is done from windows and is called a wubi install, is this what you want? It is then a file in windows, not generally considered for long term use. If you want a wubi install you use its download tool from windows to install, getting it to download lubuntu is probably possible. The wubi installer is not on the live cd's any more.

    If you want a actual dual boot alongside windows, give us a screen shot of gparted from the live lubuntu boot.
    Last edited by wilee-nilee; July 6th, 2012 at 07:29 AM.





  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    8

    Re: Side-by-side install with Win7 fails

    I tried installing from Live session, not from inside Windows. There was an icon on the desktop & I just double-clicked it.
    The install options were:
    1. Install within Windows 7 (and choose at boot time)
    2. Replace Windows 7
    3. Other installation

    I picked the #1 option, but nothing happenned except for my laptop rebooting.

    About your question:
    1. No, I don't want it to run from inside Win7
    2. Yes, dual-boot is exactly what I want
    And I thought dual-boot is what I'll get with that #1 option, forgive me for my total lack of knowledge on this.
    I'll try to get that "gparted" output you said & attach it, as soon as I figure out how to do that (I'll search for it first).

    Thanks a bunch for the info, gonna do that right away.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Beans
    8,874
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Side-by-side install with Win7 fails

    Quote Originally Posted by muffled tone View Post
    I tried installing from Live session, not from inside Windows. There was an icon on the desktop & I just double-clicked it.
    The install options were:
    1. Install within Windows 7 (and choose at boot time)
    2. Replace Windows 7
    3. Other installation

    I picked the #1 option, but nothing happenned except for my laptop rebooting.

    About your question:
    1. No, I don't want it to run from inside Win7
    2. Yes, dual-boot is exactly what I want
    And I thought dual-boot is what I'll get with that #1 option, forgive me for my total lack of knowledge on this.
    I'll try to get that "gparted" output you said & attach it, as soon as I figure out how to do that (I'll search for it first).

    Thanks a bunch for the info, gonna do that right away.
    My mistake it helps to offer this info.

    In the reply window panel is a paper clip that is how you attach an image to a reply.





  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Beans
    13,344
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

    Re: Side-by-side install with Win7 fails

    Go into Win7, open the Disk Management app and look at the set of partitions there. IF you already have four, you can't install Ubuntu to a partition without removing a partition, first. The installer does not know to do that and will not install.
    Ubuntu 19.10 Mate, Mint 19.2 Mate; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Beans
    257
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Side-by-side install with Win7 fails

    Mark, couldn't he still do it, if one of his four partitions was an extended partition?
    Join us on irc at #ubuntuforums. For web chat see here

    To teach is to learn. ~ Japanese Proverb

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Beans
    8,874
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Side-by-side install with Win7 fails

    Quote Originally Posted by msammels View Post
    Mark, couldn't he still do it, if one of his four partitions was an extended partition?
    One has to be removed to make a extended, but yes you are correct.





  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Beans
    257
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Side-by-side install with Win7 fails

    Well, I was thinking, 3 normal, 1 extended, that way... or maybe I'm being silly
    Join us on irc at #ubuntuforums. For web chat see here

    To teach is to learn. ~ Japanese Proverb

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Beans
    8,874
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Side-by-side install with Win7 fails

    Quote Originally Posted by msammels View Post
    Well, I was thinking, 3 normal, 1 extended, that way... or maybe I'm being silly
    The key here for best help is really what I suggested, basically show us what is actually there, before actually advising, is really best practice in protecting the users OS's.

    It does not have to be gparted it can be a fdisk -l as well.





  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    8

    Re: Side-by-side install with Win7 fails

    Hey all, thanks for the replies.

    So I found GParted, ran it in Live session, and it says I have 4 partitions.
    While Windows' File Manager says I have 3?

    According to GParted I have:
    1 NTFS 100 Mb (apparently locked by Windows)
    2 NTFS 100 Gb (1 for Win7 & 1 for my data)
    1 NTFS 270 Gb (I install my apps here, separate from Win7)
    I can also access all 4 in Lubuntu's File Manager.

    So, since I have 4, I must delete 1?
    Does delete here mean erase the partition OR just make it empty/available?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •