Thread: Having Trouble Setting up Wake-On-Lan

Beans

Having Trouble Setting up Wake-On-Lan

I'm having issues setting up Wake on lan on my computer running 12.04. I have followed several tutorials explaining how to set it up, but none have resulted in success. I have enabled the wake on lan feature in the Bios, but apart from that haven't made any noticeable progress. Right now, I have my old computer running 12.04 hooked up to a dlink router (not hooked up to the internet) via ethernet. I am trying to connect to the wireless network and wake 12.04 with my macbook pro running Lion.

One thing that concerns me is that when the computer is in suspend mode, the ethernet connection lights are totally off, and it was my understanding that they were supposed to remain on during standby if WOL was to be accomplished. Am I mistaken?

Any help would be appreciated. I have only tried waking the comptuer from the wiresless connection from my laptop. I am going to go dig out an ethernet cable to try booting it while my laptop is physically hooked up to the router to see if that makes a difference.

Beans

Re: Having Trouble Setting up Wake-On-Lan

Oops. Well I double checked my power settings after I posted that and it turns out that my Bios had two suspend modes. After some research I found that one was a deeper sleep mode and one was "softer" sleep mode. Selecting the softer mode allows for remote wake from suspend mode. I have yet to try from a complete shutdown. I am not sure that would work, though.