Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: problem realtek 8723 driver

Beans

Re: problem realtek 8723 driver

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    We wonder why it is wlan1. Was or is there a possibly conflicting wlan0? Do we need to blacklist something? What does this tell us?
    Code:
    dmesg | grep rtl
    rfkill list all
    sudo iwlist wlan1 scan
    Arrrgh - 'rfkill' (a command I'm not familiar with) gave the clue - it showed the wireless LAN was hard blocked! 'Hard blocked' is again a term I'm not familiar with, but I correctly deduced that it's a hardware switch.

As a last resort (!) I looked at the manual (such as it is!) and there's a key combination for turning on the wireless LAN. It's all working fine now.

iwconfig still shows that wlan1 is used, instead of wlan0. I'm not sure I know why.

Many thanks, 'Chili555'!

jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jimford View Post
    Arrrgh - 'rfkill' (a command I'm not familiar with) gave the clue - it showed the wireless LAN was hard blocked! 'Hard blocked' is again a term I'm not familiar with, but I correctly deduced that it's a hardware switch.

As a last resort (!) I looked at the manual (such as it is!) and there's a key combination for turning on the wireless LAN. It's all working fine now.

iwconfig still shows that wlan1 is used, instead of wlan0. I'm not sure I know why.

Many thanks, 'Chili555'!

jim
    All's well that ends well. I'm glad it's working. Hey, I'll take a solved case any way I can get it!
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

All's well that ends well. I'm glad it's working. Hey, I'll take a solved case any way I can get it!
    Hmm, maybe I spoke too soon!

Sometimes the wireless LAN comes up on boot, but often it doesn't. I wonder if it's anything to do with a driver conflict, because the interface is still wlan1 instead of wlan0? It needs a bit more looking into - possibly blacklisting a rogue driver. Any ideas of what I should be looking for, please?

Jim

Oh - and if you could possibly punt a bit of your Carolina weather over here, I'd be doubly grateful. It's pretty cold and miserable at the moment!

;^)

Beans
    Distro

Oh - and if you could possibly punt a bit of your Carolina weather over here, I'd be doubly grateful. It's pretty cold and miserable at the moment!
    What part would you most like? The tornado watch or the 70 mph winds?? It is about 74 F, however. Weird.

Does the wireless spring to life if you merely load the driver?
    Code:
    sudo modprobe rtl8723ae
    If so, let's load it automatically on boot:
    Code:
    sudo su
    echo rtl8723ae >> /etc/modules
    exit
    If that doesn't do it, feel free to post back. If my house is still standing, I'll be happy to help.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

The driver is loaded on boot, but although wlan1 is shown with iwconfig, wireless LAN is not functioning. If I remove (rmmod) the driver and then modprobe it, the network then comes up. Puzzling!

Thanks for the continuing assistance 'chill555'.

Jim

P.S. I think I'll pass on the tornadoes and 70 MPH winds, but 74 F (Fahrenheit? How quaint!) sounds about right. I could then sit outside drinking whisky and rye with the good ole boys at that temperature!

Beans
    Distro

I think the wlan1 designation is benign. I wouldn't worry about it. If you are super OCD, it can be changed. Will it make things magically work perfectly? I doubt it.

Let's try something different for now:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/rc.local
    Add three lines above exit 0:
    Code:
    modprobe -r rtl8723ae
    sleep 20
    modprobe rtl8723ae
    Proofread, save and close gedit. Reboot.

Is it working as expected now?
    drinking whisky and rye with the good ole boys
    And eating American Pie??

Beans

<sigh>

I was just about to do as you suggested above, but hey - a new update alert pops up, so let's install that first! I install the update, but it's a new kernel, so there's no rtl8723 driver in the new kernel modules directory. I then go to rebuild the driver but I've previously deleted the source and archive file. So then it's back to an ethernet cable to download the driver file and recompile and install the driver.

I guess I'll have to recompile the driver every time the kernel gets updated, until the driver is eventually included. I've now made the source immutable so I can't casually delete it again!

So far it looks like the driver is getting recognised on boot, but if I run into problems I'll try your 'unload then reload on start up' fix above.

Thanks again 'chilli555', I owe you one. If you're ever in the London region PM me and I'll take you on some day trips to places of interest.

Jim

Beans
    Distro

I guess I'll have to recompile the driver every time the kernel gets updated, until the driver is eventually included.
    That's correct. I hope it was mentioned back a few pages. That's what's so difficult about these 60-70 reply threads; hardly anybody reads all 70 replies!
    If you're ever in the London region PM me and I'll take you on some day trips to places of interest.
    I was there in 2001 and loved every moment of it. Are any of the places of interest named 'pub?'

Beans

I was there in 2001 and loved every moment of it. Are any of the places of interest named 'pub?'
    This one's in the next town - about 20 mins drive away:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ye_Olde_Fighting_Cocks

I'll take you there!

Jim

Beans
    Distro

Thank you so much for your kind words and generous offer. If I am able to visit again, I will PM.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast