Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Tools

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Computer Tools

Hey everybody!

I don't know if this can go here, if not, please move this thread to the appropriate section. Thanks!

I'd like to know if there are some standard tools to use for working with computers. Can anyone suggest some tools or tool kits? Things to use for opening the computer, cleaning the computer and its components, cleaning the fans (dust buildup), and things of that nature. What do you suggest and what do you use?
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Computer Tools

Hi Shadius.

I bought this vacuum attachments long time ago and I'm pleased with them.

As far as tools, it depends on the case, but usually you don't need much. An screw driver is all need. Nevertheless, there are tool kits you can buy like this one.

Just some thoughts.
    Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The only thing that I've ever needed is a set of small screwdrivers.

Just watch out for static electricity, it could damage the parts...so keep yourself grounded! I believe there are also some sort of anti-static gloves you can buy for these sorts of things...
    Last edited by na5h; July 5th, 2012 at 07:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    Can anyone suggest some tools or tool kits? Things to use for opening the computer, cleaning the computer and its components, cleaning the fans (dust buildup), and things of that nature. What do you suggest and what do you use?
    As far as tools go, practically any standard screwdriver set will do for most chassis. Some chassis have a "screwless" design, or thumbscrews, so you don't need anything to open the cover.

As for cleaning, I always use a standard household vaccum cleaner SET TO BLOW, NOT VACCUM/SUCK. Of course it blows dust all around the place, so better to use it outdoors (or balconies). I usually focus the nozzle on fans (SMPS, CPU, HDD and chassis fans) and then give the rest of the inner cabinet a couple of quick passes. I clean the SMPS fan from two sides (outside and reverse heat vents, which is inside the chassis).

I guess you can also used compressed air cans, but we don't have them in India.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Hi Shadius.

I bought this vacuum attachments long time ago and I'm pleased with them.

As far as tools, it depends on the case, but usually you don't need much. An screw driver is all need. Nevertheless, there are tool kits you can buy like this one.

Just some thoughts.
    Regards.
    This toolkit looks promising. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by na5h View Post
    The only thing that I've ever needed is a set of small screwdrivers.

Just watch out for static electricity, it could damage the parts...so keep yourself grounded! I believe there are also some sort of anti-static gloves you can buy for these sorts of things...
    Oh, yes, the anti-static wristband. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by prshah View Post
    As far as tools go, practically any standard screwdriver set will do for most chassis. Some chassis have a "screwless" design, or thumbscrews, so you don't need anything to open the cover.

As for cleaning, I always use a standard household vaccum cleaner SET TO BLOW, NOT VACCUM/SUCK. Of course it blows dust all around the place, so better to use it outdoors (or balconies). I usually focus the nozzle on fans (SMPS, CPU, HDD and chassis fans) and then give the rest of the inner cabinet a couple of quick passes. I clean the SMPS fan from two sides (outside and reverse heat vents, which is inside the chassis).

I guess you can also used compressed air cans, but we don't have them in India.
    Why do you put it to blow instead of vacuum? It might vacuum up the circuitry?

Thanks for the thoughts folks. It helps to know what tools I'll need when it comes to computer related work. I was recently cleaning out a computer that seemed to have been neglected for years and it was packed with dust! I was coughing up dust balls! So I was thinking there has to be an easier way of doing this because I was using household items to clean out the dust like a little soft bristle paint brush, and a toothbrush. I was using the toothbrush to clean out the stuck on dust from the fans. I don't even think a can of compressed air would blow it off. I like to keep my computers neat and clean so I was wondering what the best tools/methods were to accomplish that.
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    Why do you put it to blow instead of vacuum? It might vacuum up the circuitry?
    or parts thereof. You don't want to be stuck with a bunch of jumpers removed from the board from god knows where.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

1. Jeweller's screwdrivers
    2. Spudgers
    3. Compressed air and a little brush
    4. Cable ties
    5. Wrist strap and anti-static mat.
    6. Pliers
    7. Head torch

That should take care of any job really. Computer's are like Lego these days, you don't need a lot of tools.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Hammers will fix everything.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    Hammers will fix everything.
    Needs moar cow bell.

I have a small screw driver with multiple bits and some canned air, cable ties and multiboot usb.

I used to wear a antistatic wrist thing, but it usually just got in the way, so now I just keep myself grounded by touching the case.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast