Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: too many bugs in Lubuntu, get another distro?

Beans

Re: too many bugs in Lubuntu, get another distro?

@mastablasta

By the way, I also installed and ran glxgears because you said so and it ran at 33 fps with a high of 52 and a low of 7. I think it was supposed to run at 60 because that's my refresh rate.

hakermania is offline Τώρα ξέρεις τι γράφω εδώ!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would recommend a new person to Linux to have a taste of Ubuntu, first.

Ubuntu doesn't lack any feature of a stable and nice OS and everyone (even mokeys) can go through the installation process, as it doesn't ask something difficult.
    So, (almost) no matter the circumstances, I'd say to try Ubuntu, and, if you find it too heavy for your needs, you can migrate to Lubuntu (which works perfectly fine for me, by the way) or any other distro.

But, I highly recommend, your first taste to be from Ubuntu, so as to be used to the terminal etc, and, when you have to deal with a problem with some other linux distro, to have some skills...
    Website

Wallch (Wallpaper Changer): Sourceforge | Launchpad

Beans

Okay, hackermania, I just deleted my stored passwords from Chromium.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by hakermania View Post
    I would recommend a new person to Linux to have a taste of Ubuntu, first.

Ubuntu doesn't lack any feature of a stable and nice OS and everyone (even mokeys) can go through the installation process, as it doesn't ask something difficult.
    So, (almost) no matter the circumstances, I'd say to try Ubuntu, and, if you find it too heavy for your needs, you can migrate to Lubuntu (which works perfectly fine for me, by the way) or any other distro.

But, I highly recommend, your first taste to be from Ubuntu, so as to be used to the terminal etc, and, when you have to deal with a problem with some other linux distro, to have some skills...
    If he's getting ~30fps from glxgears, I'm thinking that even Unity2D might be a bit of a stretch. My PC only just runs unity2d, and I get ~700FPS.

Just two cents, I'm sure the OP is capable of installing whatever distro they like.

Beans

About glxgears. I discovered that if I keep moving moving my mouse constantly, then I can get 59.9 fps, which is all it's supposed to be able to get because it's sync'ed to the video refresh rate of 60 Hz. So it seems like it's some sort of problem with what's installed rather than my video hardware.

----------

Also, I just tried this series of commands, to try to solve the "ali mixer 1 creating error":

modprobe -r snd-intel8x0
    modprobe snd-intel8x0 ac97_quirk=1 xbox=1

Then I rebooted, and there was no change. (There's still no mixer, still the same errors in syslog and Gnome-mplayer still doesn't play, but Audacious does.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

try this in terminal:

Code:
    glxinfo | grep direct
    should get you

direct rendering: Yes
    you likely don't have it. these older cards are nto well supported by opensource drivers since ATI didn't want to open them. s what they did is reverse engineering. usualyl they work nicely in XP but XP is OS from 2001. if you used a very old Ubuntu you would get porprietary drivers for that chip and they would work better.

bottom line - what can you do. nothing much the only and simplest thing i can think of is to use xorg edgers PPA -. the developlemt version of the drivers.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    You can install Ubuntu studio from within lubuntu.
    I might add...

You can install LXDE/Openbox from within Ubuntu too, e.g. make your own "Lubuntu".

Lubuntu and Peppermint are nice Ubu-based distros, but if you like LXDE I've found it more rewarding to simply install it on top of Ubuntu, and choose LXDE @ boot.

The "problem" with canned LXDE packages is they try to make them too lightweight. When you add "bloat" to LXDE, by loading it on top of a standard Ubuntu install, it actually becomes a much more pleasant experience.
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans

@mastablasta

I knew graphics features are supported by the OSS driver, I just don't know if the Lubuntu desktop is using those features.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyE View Post
    Run LXDE/Openbox on top of Ubuntu and you'll have 3D rendering too...

Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans

I received a PM in reply to this thread, but the sender has PMs turned off or not allowed, so I'm replying here.

I'm sure I've made more errors than I've noticed or corrected yet. Can you be more specific?

At least I'm still finding it interesting to attempt to get Lubuntu running smoothly and maybe later some other version of Ubuntu.

---------------

Additional steps I've taken to see if the audio mixer will be created:

1. I flashed my BIOS using a program from the manufacturer, HP, because the syslog said some about some CPU ID "This is indicative of a broken BIOS." That didn't make any noticeable difference.

2. I tried other options in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf (one at a time then rebooting

options snd-intel8x0 ac97_quirk=swap_hp
    options snd-intel8x0 ac97_quirk=hp_only
    options snd-intel8x0 ac97_quirk=default

I still get, in the syslog:

Jul 5 20:58:39 s-ze4800 kernel: [ 22.920038] AC'97 1 does not respond - RESET
    Jul 5 20:58:39 s-ze4800 kernel: [ 22.936106] AC'97 1 access is not valid [0xffffffff], removing mixer.
    s

3. I tried different options edited into grub.conf, such as

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=\"Linux\""

and uncommented the beep, so I get a beep which shows that my editing went into effect, but there was no improvement.

Right now, GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

I haven't tried "acpi=off" yet, because people say that's harder to recover from if it goes wrong.

4. I installed the b43legacy driver for the wireless card, in case not having that set up was interfering with the boot sequence setting everything up including the mixer. The wireless card works now, but I don't use it anyway and there was no other improvement.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast