Thread: Setting GTK+ themes

Beans

Setting GTK+ themes

Hi, i'm using ubuntu 12.04 and yesterday i was trying to change GTK+ theme with the Gnome Tweak Tool but it doesn't see the theme i installed. It's both in .themes folder in my home directory and in /usr/share/themes folder, just as i read it should be. What's good is that the Tweak Tool doesn't see only the GTK+ theme i installed, it can see the default GTK+ themes, the icons i added etc.
    Does anyone know the solution for this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Setting GTK+ themes

Hello and Welcome

Two things I would check.
    1. is the theme GTK 3.4 compatible ?
    2. was the theme fully extracted ?

Some times after extracting the tar.gz checking the folders is a good idea because there may be compressed packages inside. Could you provide the theme name also.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can."

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

I'm pretty sure it's fully extracted, i scanned for .zip and .tar.gz files inside and it didn't find anything. I got it from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mac4lin/ the source seems pretty reliable and after a long "research" i haven't found any people complaining about GTK+ themes from this package. I was wondering about the compatibility but i have no idea how to check it. There's a folder inside named "gtk-2.0" but does it straight mean it isn't compatible? Firstly i thought that the new versions of GTK can use older themes but your question really made me wonder. The theme itself is named Mac4Lin_GTK_Aqua_v1.0. I've tried installing some programs (other than gnome-tweak-tool) to put this theme in use but after like 5 tries gave up, cos i don't have a good internet connection here... Would you like to give me some commands just to check the compatibility?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

According to Gnome Look the theme has not been updated since 2009 which would make it incompatible with Gnome 3(11.10-12.04) . See the link for GTK 3.4 themes. The theme also uses Emerald which is no longer officially supported. http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=167
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can."

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

That's a shame, thanks a lot anyway i'll mark this as solved.