Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Linksys ACX111 chipset (wpc54g v2) via ndiswrapper

Beans

Re: Linksys AXC111 chipset (wpc54g v2) via ndiswrapper

Hello, I'm a new user to Ubuntu 6.06, and i'm looking to configure my computer for use with a WEP enabled home wireless network. I'm looking for a wireless card (USB or PCI) that will work "out-of-the-box" i.e., so I don't have to configure using "sudo gedit blah blah blah" because it puzzles me . I have ndiswrapper installed from an attempted installation of a Netgear WG111 but I could never get my head round that. Also i have ndisgtk installed too. I have managed to get the LED on my dongle (wg111) to light up - but thats about it. Are there any wireless cards i can use with no fiddling??

Thanks.

Beans

Also, according to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...9%7C%286.06%29 , isn't the Linksys WMP54G completely and easily compatible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

well gaj555, i'm terribly sorry you're having so much trouble, but neither of the cards you mention (netgear wg111 or wmp54g) are included in this howto. furthermore i really don't have any experience with either of these cards.

your best bet at this point is just to review the cards on the link you posted from the wiki and find a card that works out of the box with dapper. and, if you run into trouble, just ask for help in the forum.

sorry i really can't offer you much more assistence than that. i only have two wireless cards in my posession a netgear ma401 wireless b which works out of the box, but is slow. and the card mentioned in this howto (linksys wpc54g v2)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ok, since my last post I have not had the card working on my laptop. I could not figure out why, so I decided to brainstorm. After thinking about it for awhile I realized that when I had it working was when I was messing around with the "acx" driver that loads at boot. I had kept it from booting and the card didn't power on. But I ran the
    Code:
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    command and for some reason
    Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper acx
    and guess what? it worked!! Now I had no idea that it was the order that the drivers are loading the was keeping the card from working!!
    So if you are having trouble with the card not connecting but powering on try running
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r acx
    then
    Code:
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    then
    Code:
    sudo modprobe acx
    and see if that don't work! Good Luck!!

Also I don't seem to have to run the very long scan & setup string anymore, it just works all the time now without any problems.
    Last edited by Raistlin355; August 5th, 2006 at 02:58 PM.
    Nothing's Impossible..........

Beans
    Distro

Raistlin355, do me a favor and post your output of the following:
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l

Beans
    Distro

Sure
    Code:
    Installed ndis drivers:
    lsbcmnds                driver present
    lstinds         driver present, hardware present
    You know I thought I would have to use the commands in my previous post every time I booted that machine but I don't. Weird

Beans
    Distro

yeah i've been neglecting my updates, so my card has been okay. once i updated my machine it broke my card again. i'll have to figure out why it's doing that. the way i've created this howto, should prevent this card from breaking when updates are uploaded.

if you're having problems, your best bet may simply be to blacklist the acx module, but i'll take a closer look at this tonight some time and see if i can come up with a more perminant solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The WPC54G v.2 is fully compatible with Dapper, without using Ndiswrapper. Check this out :
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...ghlight=wpc54g

Cheers !

Beans
    Distro

thanks kobalt! i'll link you up in the first post of my howto

Beans
    Distro

dmizer, did you try kobalt's solution? Did it work cause I could not get it to work, but I was using another howto that wasn't as specific as kobalt's and I don't feel like breaking the wireless on the computer just to experiment.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast