Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any other writers out there (as in self publishing) and what do you use?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Any other writers out there (as in self publishing) and what do you use?

Just thought it might be good to ask. Obviously if we got as far as Linux based anything it is going to be Libre or Open Office. I do think the Libre that has come with the Ubuntu package is more stable! Kept on quitting and doing odd things in Window. Add ons etc are more appropriate to the Libre community I guess once you find out how to install.

However there are other downloads. I just realised there was a file splitter which would be very useful. Think that could be great when you write and then realise you need to move text around.

Just remembered there is a firefox download for After the Deadline? I used Google Chrome before and don't think it will see me back!

There seems to be an array of text editors. Anyone found anything worth having over and above Libre? I was not so impressed by Calligra.

Anyone using Scribus and is it useful?

Anything else?

Ist there a Ubunto writers community or place on here for a board? Not sure how relevant it would be but would be good to chat to other users somewhere and put all the Ubuntu related stuff together for others.
    Last edited by Jackalyn; July 4th, 2012 at 12:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Any other writers out there (as in self publishing) and what do you use?

I have been using Open Office Writer in Ubuntu 10.04. I was having 'System Memory' problems, system slowdown and freezes. I also have Xubuntu 11.11 on the same Dell 1525 using LibreOffice which works better, faster and no Freezes or System Slowdowns.

KompoZer is an easy-to-use WYSIWYG web page editing, HTML or web coding Creator/Editor. I used this to set the Table of Contents for the E-Book Edition.
    http://kompozer.net

My 'Book' is saved as a "M.S. Word Doc" (or Docx) which is what Amazon Kindle publishing wants me to use as it Uploads and Converts to their book format.

CreateSpace, will be my Paperback's Print On Demand Sales.
    Yola.com I have for my Book's Informational Website.
    http://www.realgoldnovel.com/

I prefer using Xubuntu 11.11 with LibreOffice 3.3.4.
    You can contact me me if you wish. This is my first try at writing a novel but I would be happy to help you if I can.
    Last edited by Ichido; July 6th, 2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Typos
    The Truly Educated Never Graduate!
    One Desktop & Two Dell 1525n Laptops - Multi-boot Xubuntu 11.11 & others.
    Don't Fear the Penguin!
    Registered Linux User #507530 & Ubuntu User # 30733

Beans

I'm no true writer but LibreOffice works for me. I also use LaTeX.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Ichido View Post
    I have been using Open Office Writer in Ubuntu 10.04. I was having 'System Memory' problems, system slowdown and freezes. I also have Xubuntu 11.11 on the same Dell 1525 using LibreOffice which works better, faster and no Freezes or System Slowdowns.

I found everything slowed down for me on my Dell, hut that was on Windows. I find the Libre Office in 12.4 is a LOT more stable though I will probaby get Open Office as well.

KompoZer is an easy-to-use WYSIWYG web page editing, HTML or web coding Creator/Editor. I used this to set the Table of Contents for the E-Book Edition.
    http://kompozer.net

Thanks that is useful to know about -just downloaded to investigate as I had never heard of it.

My 'Book' is saved as a "M.S. Word Doc" (or Docx) which is what Amazon Kindle publishing wants me to use as it Uploads and Converts to their book format.

I downloaded the trial of an e book creator and so will get back to you on that.....so far not really figured it out but have been out of action for a few days.

CreateSpace, will be my Paperback's Print On Demand Sales.

I sort of got used to lulu.com but my editor is using both and going to ge back with me on a comparison.

Yola.com I have for my Book's Informational Website.
    http://www.realgoldnovel.com/

Probably we can't say what we have for our own advertising but if you message me I will look. Vice Versa!

I prefer using Xubuntu 11.11 with LibreOffice 3.3.4.

You can contact me me if you wish. This is my first try at writing a novel but I would be happy to help you if I can.
    I do have a novel I have been writing for years. Y writer is something a lot of people seem to find helpful but I never got on with it. Most of my tings are poetry or religious but I recently took it all out to be properly editied. www.ywriter.com

For editing and checking www;autocrit.com is my fabourite.

I am also a great fan of the 'readability' icon in l\ibre

Maybe some other writers will chip in. It is always useful to know what will work well with Ubuntu.J

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Meant to say the ebook trial I downloaded was Jutoh -in the Software Centre -free trial but then it seems o cost you but reasonable if it does all it should.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@codingman, Thanks for the Great "Remove Unity" link!!!
    The Truly Educated Never Graduate!
    One Desktop & Two Dell 1525n Laptops - Multi-boot Xubuntu 11.11 & others.
    Don't Fear the Penguin!
    Registered Linux User #507530 & Ubuntu User # 30733

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've been using LibreOffice since its first release and I think Writer has been quite improved in several aspects. I use it to write ebooks with an extension called Writer2epub.

But I have to admit, Writer is still light years away from MS Office Word 2010 in terms of usability (of course, IMHO).

Beans

If you ever to submit something for self publication, your publisher may want the text as a PDF file. Both Libre Office and Open Office have the ability to convert plain text into PDF, but Open Office doesn't seem to be as actively supported these days.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

2 good applicaitons for e-books

1st is Calibre - an ebook reader, so you can see how ebook will look like in various readers and it can also transform your e-book to various e-book readers formats including amazon kindle. http://calibre-ebook.com

2nd one is Sigil which you can use to edit (WYSIWYG) the book in e-book format. it's like editing e-book on a freakin kindle http://code.google.com/p/sigil/

Also libre office FTW in this department. TOC can also be created here and then exported to PDF as well as PDF bookmarks.
    Last edited by mastablasta; July 9th, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

I know a couple of linux OSes use abiword. Although in my opinion its not better than LibreOffice (might want to give it a try). I would just try out everything. Thats the great thing about Ubuntu a bunch of free apps with no risks of viruses. In case you dont like it remove it and try another.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast