Thread: Bios password

Beans

Question Bios password

Hi all,

I was seeing this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCLgdlUMVfI , titled (In troduction to data recovery by eli atherton).

in this video it is mentioned that "Forget a bios password for a laptop computer - you would probably need to buy a new laptop"

to what extent this is true ???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Bios password

Well, in most cases you can reset the bios by pulling out the battery (the little one on the motherboard), or with jumper. More instructions here.
    Windows is not user friendly,it's just user familiar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Removing an internal battery or resetting the BIOS does not necessarily clear a BIOS password, especially for laptops. Otherwise someone who steals a laptop, or whose business locks them out of CMOS setup, could easily get around that, which would totally negate the security of setting a BIOS password.

While desktops may have a way of resetting BIOS password with a motherboard switch or jumper, laptops or other portable and easily stolen computers often require sending it to the manufacturer to clear a BIOS password. So don't forget it, or if buying a used computer, make sure that CMOS setup is not locked with a password (which could be a signed that it was stolen or the actual owner does not know it is being sold).
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans

There are many software tools to clear a BIOS password such as CMOSPWD, and many others assuming booting is available.

Though i have never come across any that cannot be circumvented through hardware battery removal, jumper shorting etc, though im sure there are some out there, i have just never come across one as yet in about 20+ years.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013