Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Struggling with ethernet problem for the past TEN days-Sporadic connection on 12.04

Beans

Re: Struggling with ethernet problem for the past TEN days-Sporadic connection on 12

In the network manager. I always set it to automatic(DHCP) in the IPV4 settings and I dont get connected right away sometimes. That is the problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Struggling with ethernet problem for the past TEN days-Sporadic connection on 12

You said you had a static IP address??? If you are directly plugged in (no router) I would contact the ISP about it as they are providing you local machine directly with its IP address. I'm starting to think this might not have anything to do with Ubuntu as your ethernet card seems to be in working order, identified, drivers and firmware loading. Further proof of this is that it does connect on occasion.

You might try opening a terminal and pinging your ISP if you have their IP. See what comes back.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 7th, 2012 at 04:34 AM.

Beans

Hey Bucky,
    firstly it is a dynamic IP. I dont know how that confusion came up
    If I assume it is a network problem. Windows always connects fine(I am on dual boot) and that is all the network cares. They say they dont know anything about linux! what could be the problems with assigning dynamic IP in Linux?

Beans

The pinging to the ISP does not work when it is not connected

Beans

A Major "BREAKTHROUGH".
    When ethernet did not work I copied the settings from WIndows into ubuntu12.04 and surprisingly it worked.

So it is confirmed that the reason why ethernet was not working is because it is not able to get an IP assigned to itself manually.

Will buying a router solve this problem? or is there anything else I should do ?

Also
    When I added these two lines to /etc/network/interfaces the boot process was a little different but I still was not able to do anything.

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

I would to thank ActionParsnip from IRC for this little insight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12