Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will this computer run ubuntu OK?

Beans

Will this computer run ubuntu OK?

Hi everybody! I'm writing because I'll be buying a laptop and I'd like to install the latest Ubuntu version available. Here are the specifications of the laptop computer I want to get:

• Processor
      Intel® Core™ i5
    • Processor Speed
      2.50GHz
    • Display Type
      Widescreen Active Matrix TFT Color LCD LED Backlit
    • Cache Memory
      3MB
    • System Memory (RAM)
      8GB
    • System Memory (RAM) Expandable To
      8GB
    • Type of Memory (RAM)
      DDR3 SDRAM
    • Hard Drive Type
      Serial ATA 5400 RPM HDD
    • Computer Hard Drive Size
      750GB
    • Optical Drive
      DVD±RW/CD-RW
    • Digital Media Reader or Slots
      Yes
    • Graphics
      NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
    • Video Memory
      1GB
    • Built-in Webcam
      Yes
    • Networking
      Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 Connector)
    • Wireless Networking
      IEEE 802.11b/g/n
    • Bluetooth-Enabled
      Yes
    • USB 2.0 Ports
    • Laptop Weight
      Ultraportable (5.5 lbs. or less)
    • HDMI Output
      Yes
    • Blu-ray Player
      No
    • Operating System Platform
      Windows
    • Operating System
      Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    • System Version
      64-bit
    • Green Compliance
      RoHS
    • ENERGY STAR Qualified
      No
    • Graphics Chip
      NVIDIA
    • Wireless Capability
      Wi-Fi
    • Drive Capacity
      750GB
    • Memory Slots Total
    • UPC

My question is if this computer will be able the latest version of Ubuntu. Will Ubuntu use the 8GB RAM? Is this the kind of computer where I can install this operating system? I'm really looking foward using Ubuntu and kicking this Windows crap out (of my life). Thanks a lot!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Will this computer run ubuntu OK?

Yes it will.

However, before you BUY do a forum search to learn everything about:
    Graphics
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M

There are a plenty of posts that provide information about your graphics.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Nueva laptop

Hola a todos en la comunidad! Como pueden ver soy nuevo. Aun no tengo instalado el sistema operativo pero vengo con una duda con respecto al mismo. Despues de tantos años con Windows finalmente se terminó mi paciencia y quiero probar Ubuntu en una laptop que quiero adquirir. Antes que nada quiero aclarar que no soy un genio en computación pero un poco me defiendo, les pido que me tengan paciencia si pregunto sobre algunas cosas que me responden y no entiendo. Siguiendo con lo nuestro...las especificaciones técnicas de la computadora que me quiero comprar son las siguientes:

• Processor Brand
      Intel®
    • Processor
      Intel® Core™ i5
    • Processor Speed
      2.50GHz
    • Battery Type
      6-cell
    • Display Type
      Widescreen Active Matrix TFT Color LCD LED Backlit
    • Screen Size (Measured Diagonally)
      14.1"
    • Cache Memory
      3MB
    • System Memory (RAM)
      8GB
    • System Memory (RAM) Expandable To
      8GB
    • Type of Memory (RAM)
      DDR3 SDRAM
    • Hard Drive Type
      Serial ATA 5400 RPM HDD
    • Computer Hard Drive Size
      750GB
    • Optical Drive
      DVD±RW/CD-RW
    • Digital Media Reader or Slots
      Yes
    • Graphics
      NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
    • Video Memory
      1GB
    • Built-in Webcam
      Yes
    • Networking
      Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 Connector)
    • Wireless Networking
      IEEE 802.11b/g/n
    • Bluetooth-Enabled
      Yes
    • USB 2.0 Ports
    • Laptop Weight
      Ultraportable (5.5 lbs. or less)
    • HDMI Output
      Yes
    • Blu-ray Player
      No
    • Operating System Platform
      Windows
    • Operating System
      Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    • System Version
      64-bit
    • Green Compliance
      RoHS
    • ENERGY STAR Qualified
      No
    • Graphics Chip
      NVIDIA
    • Wireless Capability
      Wi-Fi
    • Drive Capacity
      750GB
    • Memory Slots Total
    • UPC

Mi consulta básicamente es si voy a poder correr Ubuntu tranquilamente en esta computadora, sobre todo por los problemas (que no se si existen) de compatibilidad con la tarjeta de gráficos NVIDIA y si voy a poder hacer uso de los 8GB de RAM que vienen en la máquina. Realmente quiero poder instalar la ultima version de Ubuntu y poder desligarme de la maldicion de Windows. Agradezco mucho la paciencia que se van a tomar en contestar mi duda y su generosidad al respecto. Saludos!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Your configuration looks ok to run the newest versions of Ubuntu .
    However before installing ubuntu you can grab a live cd and see if your hardware plays well with Ubuntu .
    A live cd environment will let you run Ubuntu without installing it on your hard drive .
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by donwilly View Post

< SNIP>

My question is if this computer will be able the latest version of Ubuntu. Will Ubuntu use the 8GB RAM? Is this the kind of computer where I can install this operating system? I'm really looking foward using Ubuntu and kicking this Windows crap out (of my life). Thanks a lot!
    If you want to be certain then order a computer with Ubuntu installed on it. That way if anything doesn't work you can just get it replaced. There is no way to tell absolutely whether an unknown machine will run Ubuntu. Even if the live disk runs that does not guarantee that the machine will work properly.

If you think Windows is crap then you probably wont get on very well with Ubuntu. The systems are different but just as complex and subject to various problems. The majority of problems are the fault of the user and not the system. Windows 7 is an excellent system for various things. One major advantage of Ubuntu is of course that it is free.
    There is always a way, but it might not be the best way, or your way!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by traditionalist View Post
    If you think Windows is crap then you probably wont get on very well with Ubuntu.
    I think more than 50% of people in this forum would disagree with you, including myself

As for the system specs you've given, there's nothing there that I can see that's cause for alarm. But you haven't got details about what wireless chip is actually in there, and you can never be sure if there's an odd corner-case that will cause Ubuntu not to boot, or to only boot with special boot options.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    I think more than 50% of people in this forum would disagree with you, including myself

<SNIP>

Calling things "crap" because you do not get on with them is not sensible. While there are doubtless plenty of people who prefer Ubuntu or some other flavour of Linux to Windows, the sensible ones do not go around saying that Windows is "crap". Things like this also reflect badly on the Linux user community. If you can't or don't want to use something, that's fine, but it is not a reason to call it "crap".

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: Will this computer run ubuntu OK?

Please, this isn't a place for p*ssing contests. The OP asked a legitamate question. No mention of other OS's is needed (in fact, there is a forum rule for not speaking badly of another OS - see the code of conduct).

To the OP:

Your answer has been given in 2 forms, both of which are correct.

Yes, the system you are looking at has system specs that *should* be able to run Ubuntu with no problem. However, you should search the forums and/or the net (a google search with:

ubuntu 12.04 NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M

may turn up some things you may need to know - as already mentioned it is possible a specific option will be needed in order to boot.

It has also been mentioned that this also applies to your wireless. If at all possible, look at the manufacturers web site for that model and see what wireless adapter is included. While it may not get to the exact chipset, searching the forum and/or the net - a google search with:

ubuntu 12.04 <your manufacturer> <your model>

may return more specific information you should look at.

There is no true way to guarantee it will run out of the box. It may require a little work - that is true of all systems as you never know. Doing your homework in advance by doing as much searching of the internet with the appropriate search keywords should turn up any special information you need. If uncertain, post back here again after you've done those searches.

It's also been mentioned to try the LiveCD. The installation CD image that you download allows trying ubuntu without changing anything on your computer. You should try that as recommended. Is that a 100% guarantee it will work out of the box when installed? Sorry, but no. Some things such as the video driver, etc., can still be problematic but are solvable.

So, you have the answers. Don't let any mention of Windows or any other OS affect your trying out Ubuntu. Don't let silly inane arguing here affect it either.

If you don't have trouble with the livecd, then by all means install if you want to. I think there can be little disagreement on the following points you should pay attention to:

(1) Your new PC will probably come with another OS - most likely Windows 7. Follow all of the manufacturers instructions for making recovery disks before you do any thing else.

(2) Your new PC will also most likely have a "recovery" partition which the manufacturers recovery disks (that they ask you to create) use to bring your system back to an "as-delivered" status. Don't delete this partition!

(3) By all means, PLEASE, if you have no experience with Ubuntu or linux in general, install as a dual-boot system (a wubi install is an option as well). Don't go all-out and just replace Windows with Ubuntu. You may love Ubuntu, you may not. You may be able to adapt to it, or you may just find things confusing. The best advice is to dual-boot and don't expect Ubuntu to be Windows and run your Windows programs. It's not the same, and it requires other tools to TRY to run your Windows app in linux.

(4) Be *SURE* you understand disk partitioning before attempting this.

If you have any questions, please do post back! We're here to try to help you to the best of our ability. We aren't perfect. Most of us are far from being experts or gurus. But we try to help - and usually do!

We want to make your installation and first views of ubuntu as peaceful as possible - so please be sure to ask anything.

dave

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: Will this computer run ubuntu OK?

Quote Originally Posted by traditionalist View Post
    Calling things "crap" because you do not get on with them is not sensible. While there are doubtless plenty of people who prefer Ubuntu or some other flavour of Linux to Windows, the sensible ones do not go around saying that Windows is "crap". Things like this also reflect badly on the Linux user community. If you can't or don't want to use something, that's fine, but it is not a reason to call it "crap".
    It's probably worth noting here: you are the only one who used the word "crap". What 3rdalbum was saying is that even if someone has trouble with another OS it doesn't mean they can't use Ubuntu or some other flavor of Linux, or for that matter, another OS. That's what they were disagreeing with you about.

So, just so potential new users reading this thread don't get the wrong impression:

- if you've had any problems using, understanding or some sort of problems with another operating system, regardless of it's name, doesn't mean you shouldn't give Ubuntu or any other flavor of Linux a try. You may find the Linux fits with you. So PLEASE, don't be afraid to try Ubuntu!

Dave

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by anewguy View Post
    It's probably worth noting here: you are the only one who used the word "crap". What 3rdalbum was saying is that even if someone has trouble with another OS it doesn't mean they can't use Ubuntu or some other flavor of Linux, or for that matter, another OS. That's what they were disagreeing with you about.

So, just so potential new users reading this thread don't get the wrong impression:

- if you've had any problems using, understanding or some sort of problems with another operating system, regardless of it's name, doesn't mean you shouldn't give Ubuntu or any other flavor of Linux a try. You may find the Linux fits with you. So PLEASE, don't be afraid to try Ubuntu!

Dave
    It's probably worth noting that you are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by donwilly View Post

<SNIP>

Not that it matters much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast