Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kernel Updates on LemU4, PanP9, and GazP7 Laptops

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Kernel Updates on LemU4, PanP9, and GazP7 Laptops

NOTE: The new, updated kernel is now available in the normal update channels, and this method is no longer necessary.

Hi all!

The last few weeks has been a turbulent time for these laptops. There were a couple of issues regarding crashing and freezing that were introduced with the new kernel in Ubuntu 12.04.

There is a new kernel update being readied for release. It will be available very soon. We will notify users experiencing these issues on how to update to the new kernel once it is available. This will solve the problem completely. In order to receive notifications regarding these steps, please open a support case on our website by logging into your account.

The kernel is the core program of an Operating System. It's a very vital part of the system, and any errors in it can show up in many different places. Ubuntu uses the Linux kernel, and by default uses version 3.2 in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

We currently advise against manually installing future kernel versions (3.3 and higher), as these are not official Ubuntu kernels and may cause other issues with the system. The fix for this issue in kernel version 3.4 has been backported into the new update to be made available soon, so installing a newer kernel is not needed.
    Last edited by isantop; August 3rd, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Kernel Updates on LemU4, PanP9, and GazP7 Laptops

Point of clarification: is this new kernel part of official Ubuntu, or is it something separately released by S76?

I'm experiencing no issues on my lemu4, and so I'd rather not install something from outside the distro if it is not necessary. My current kernel is:
    3.2.0-26-generic #41-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 14 17:49:24 UTC 2012 x86_64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by brdmn View Post
    Point of clarification: is this new kernel part of official Ubuntu, or is it something separately released by S76?

I'm experiencing no issues on my lemu4, and so I'd rather not install something from outside the distro if it is not necessary. My current kernel is:
    3.2.0-26-generic #41-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 14 17:49:24 UTC 2012 x86_64
    It's an official Ubuntu kernel. It will be coming via a regular update in a week or two. Our instructions will aid in installing it early.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The new Kernel is now available to install!

The root cause is a bug in the Intel graphics driver included in the Ubuntu kernel. The bug has been resolved and Ubuntu developers have released a new Ubuntu kernel that includes the fix. Please follow the below instructions to install the new kernel.

1.) Click the Ubuntu icon in your launcher and type "Update". Open Update Manager.
    2.) Click "Settings..." on the bottom left of the Update Manager window
    3.) Check the checkbox next to "Pre-released updates (precise-prosed)", enter your password and click "Close".
    4.) On the Update Manager window click the "Check" button. Then click "Install Updates".
    5.) After the updates are installed, reboot your laptop

Now that the new kernel is installed, we want to turn off Proposed Updates. Open Update Manager again, click Settings..., and uncheck the check box next to "Pre-released updates (precise-prosed)". You're all set!
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Any idea when this update will be available to the rest of the System 76 users running 12.04?

I'm on a Bonobo, and having a problem with the 'suspend' function.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by kend650 View Post
    Any idea when this update will be available to the rest of the System 76 users running 12.04?

This update has nothing to do with suspend. It's only a fix for freezing on Ivy Bridge graphics.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kend650 View Post

As Carborundum says, this update isn't designed to fix the problem you mentioned. However, I don't see anything here that says you can't install it on any system. The update comes from Ubuntu, so you should be able to follow isantop's instructions on your Bonobo as long as you are running Precise Pangolin (12.04).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by brdmn View Post
    As Carborundum says, this update isn't designed to fix the problem you mentioned. However, I don't see anything here that says you can't install it on any system. The update comes from Ubuntu, so you should be able to follow isantop's instructions on your Bonobo as long as you are running Precise Pangolin (12.04).
    This is true; however, I would advise against it. There is nothing in the new updates that fix problems on other systems, and we haven't tested the updates on any Nvidia systems, so there could be some negative effect we could not account for. I would recommend waiting until the update gets pushed through the normal software channels.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    The new Kernel is now available to install!

The root cause is a bug in the Intel graphics driver included in the Ubuntu kernel. The bug has been resolved and Ubuntu developers have released a new Ubuntu kernel that includes the fix. Please follow the below instructions to install the new kernel.

1.) Click the Ubuntu icon in your launcher and type "Update". Open Update Manager.
    2.) Click "Settings..." on the bottom left of the Update Manager window
    3.) Check the checkbox next to "Pre-released updates (precise-prosed)", enter your password and click "Close".
    4.) On the Update Manager window click the "Check" button. Then click "Install Updates".
    5.) After the updates are installed, reboot your laptop
    Now that the new kernel is installed, we want to turn off Proposed Updates. Open Update Manager again, click Settings..., and uncheck the check box next to "Pre-released updates (precise-prosed)". You're all set!
    Thanks for the update. I put in an order for a GazP7 yesterday.I take it that you will run the Update Manager as part of the build process to apply the kernel update?
    Also, do you know which 3.2 .x kernel level will have the update?
    Last edited by philbert; July 12th, 2012 at 12:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by philbert View Post
    Thanks for the update. I put in an order for a GazP7 yesterday.I take it that you will run the Update Manager as part of the build process to apply the kernel update?
    Also, do you know which 3.2 .x kernel level will have the update?
    We recently updated our Ubuntu images for Intel Graphics to include the fixed kernel, so your system will not need to have proposed updates installed when you receive it.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast