Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kernel Updates on LemU4, PanP9, and GazP7 Laptops

Beans

Re: Kernel Updates on LemU4, PanP9, and GazP7 Laptops

thanks for the clear instructions! I've applied the update and so far no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    The new Kernel is now available to install!

Beans

We recently updated our Ubuntu images for Intel Graphics to include the fixed kernel, so your system will not need to have proposed updates installed when you receive it.

Do you know what the name of the update is under update manager. I have 136 updates available since I selected pre-released updates. I would much rather only install the kernel update. Below is my current kernel version just in case the update was already pushed out.

Linux shaun-Pangolin-Performance 3.2.0-26-generic #41-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 14 17:49:24 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thank you.

Beans

I was about to post a big message about my PanP9 freezing up all the time, and then I saw this. Let's see if it works!

Actually, quick question. Should I use the "proposed update" kernel from Ubuntu, or just upgrade to the new stable 3.4.6 that came out a few days ago? Or are they the same thing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Medeo View Post
    I was about to post a big message about my PanP9 freezing up all the time, and then I saw this. Let's see if it works!

Actually, quick question. Should I use the "proposed update" kernel from Ubuntu, or just upgrade to the new stable 3.4.6 that came out a few days ago? Or are they the same thing?
    You should definitely use the Ubuntu kernel. It contains all of the Ubuntu-specific patches that the mainline 3.4 Kernel doesn't We only test each version of Ubuntu with its official Kernel.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Got it, thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I have a brand new gazp7 and have experienced a hard freeze twice today when I found this thread. However, I have already been running with all Ubuntu updates.

Code:
    uname -a
    Linux 3.2.0-27-generic #43-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 6 14:25:57 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Is 3.2.0-27 the kernel that has the patches in it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by HDave View Post
    I have a brand new gazp7 and have experienced a hard freeze twice today when I found this thread. However, I have already been running with all Ubuntu updates.

Code:
    uname -a
    Linux 3.2.0-27-generic #43-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 6 14:25:57 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Is 3.2.0-27 the kernel that has the patches in it?
    Are you doing anything funky in terms of usage? What is the system doing immediately before the freeze? Is it the same thing each time?
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Are you doing anything funky in terms of usage? What is the system doing immediately before the freeze? Is it the same thing each time?
    Something different every time. The last time I was sitting there watching a software compile scroll past.

I did go to System76 support who put me on a kernel version 3.3.6 late yesterday....since then, no lockups. Keeping fingers crossed....

Edit: I did run a memtest for about 15 minutes to ensure it wasn't that. I have 16GB ram and wanted to check it anyway...
    Last edited by HDave; July 31st, 2012 at 09:03 PM.

Beans

Hello. I just wanted to point out that this method is a little bit dangerous to your system. You are in effect installing more than just the proposed kernel update. This can lead to instability in the packages since proposed is not exactly stable.

Wouldn't it be more prudent to only select the kernel for installation instead of allowing all proposed packages to be installed? Then after reboot uncheck the proposed updates as stated in the steps below?

The new Kernel is now available to install!

The root cause is a bug in the Intel graphics driver included in the Ubuntu kernel. The bug has been resolved and Ubuntu developers have released a new Ubuntu kernel that includes the fix. Please follow the below instructions to install the new kernel.

1.) Click the Ubuntu icon in your launcher and type "Update". Open Update Manager.
    2.) Click "Settings..." on the bottom left of the Update Manager window
    3.) Check the checkbox next to "Pre-released updates (precise-prosed)", enter your password and click "Close".
    4.) On the Update Manager window click the "Check" button. Then click "Install Updates".
    5.) After the updates are installed, reboot your laptop

Now that the new kernel is installed, we want to turn off Proposed Updates. Open Update Manager again, click Settings..., and uncheck the check box next to "Pre-released updates (precise-prosed)". You're all set!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by maxvon91 View Post
    Hello. I just wanted to point out that this method is a little bit dangerous to your system. You are in effect installing more than just the proposed kernel update. This can lead to instability in the packages since proposed is not exactly stable.

Wouldn't it be more prudent to only select the kernel for installation instead of allowing all proposed packages to be installed? Then after reboot uncheck the proposed updates as stated in the steps below?
    The updated kernel is now available through the normal update channels, so this process isn't necessary. But at the time, we tested installing all of the updates to ensure that nothing was unstable. In theory, you would be right, but in order to avoid confusion, we tested them all anyway.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12