Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Kernel Updates on LemU4, PanP9, and GazP7 Laptops

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Beans
    19

    Re: Kernel Updates on LemU4, PanP9, and GazP7 Laptops

    thanks for the clear instructions! I've applied the update and so far no issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    The new Kernel is now available to install!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Beans
    17

    Re: Kernel Updates on LemU4, PanP9, and GazP7 Laptops

    Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    We recently updated our Ubuntu images for Intel Graphics to include the fixed kernel, so your system will not need to have proposed updates installed when you receive it.

    Do you know what the name of the update is under update manager. I have 136 updates available since I selected pre-released updates. I would much rather only install the kernel update. Below is my current kernel version just in case the update was already pushed out.

    Linux shaun-Pangolin-Performance 3.2.0-26-generic #41-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 14 17:49:24 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

    Thank you.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Beans
    11

    Re: Kernel Updates on LemU4, PanP9, and GazP7 Laptops

    I was about to post a big message about my PanP9 freezing up all the time, and then I saw this. Let's see if it works!

    Actually, quick question. Should I use the "proposed update" kernel from Ubuntu, or just upgrade to the new stable 3.4.6 that came out a few days ago? Or are they the same thing?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Beans
    2,564
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Kernel Updates on LemU4, PanP9, and GazP7 Laptops

    Quote Originally Posted by Medeo View Post
    I was about to post a big message about my PanP9 freezing up all the time, and then I saw this. Let's see if it works!

    Actually, quick question. Should I use the "proposed update" kernel from Ubuntu, or just upgrade to the new stable 3.4.6 that came out a few days ago? Or are they the same thing?
    You should definitely use the Ubuntu kernel. It contains all of the Ubuntu-specific patches that the mainline 3.4 Kernel doesn't We only test each version of Ubuntu with its official Kernel.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Beans
    11

    Re: Kernel Updates on LemU4, PanP9, and GazP7 Laptops

    Got it, thanks!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boston, USA
    Beans
    524
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Kernel Updates on LemU4, PanP9, and GazP7 Laptops

    I have a brand new gazp7 and have experienced a hard freeze twice today when I found this thread. However, I have already been running with all Ubuntu updates.

    Code:
    uname -a
    Linux 3.2.0-27-generic #43-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 6 14:25:57 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Is 3.2.0-27 the kernel that has the patches in it?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Beans
    2,564
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Kernel Updates on LemU4, PanP9, and GazP7 Laptops

    Quote Originally Posted by HDave View Post
    I have a brand new gazp7 and have experienced a hard freeze twice today when I found this thread. However, I have already been running with all Ubuntu updates.

    Code:
    uname -a
    Linux 3.2.0-27-generic #43-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 6 14:25:57 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Is 3.2.0-27 the kernel that has the patches in it?
    Are you doing anything funky in terms of usage? What is the system doing immediately before the freeze? Is it the same thing each time?
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boston, USA
    Beans
    524
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Kernel Updates on LemU4, PanP9, and GazP7 Laptops

    Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    Are you doing anything funky in terms of usage? What is the system doing immediately before the freeze? Is it the same thing each time?
    Something different every time. The last time I was sitting there watching a software compile scroll past.

    I did go to System76 support who put me on a kernel version 3.3.6 late yesterday....since then, no lockups. Keeping fingers crossed....

    Edit: I did run a memtest for about 15 minutes to ensure it wasn't that. I have 16GB ram and wanted to check it anyway...
    Last edited by HDave; July 31st, 2012 at 09:03 PM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Beans
    2

    Re: Kernel Updates on LemU4, PanP9, and GazP7 Laptops

    Hello. I just wanted to point out that this method is a little bit dangerous to your system. You are in effect installing more than just the proposed kernel update. This can lead to instability in the packages since proposed is not exactly stable.

    Wouldn't it be more prudent to only select the kernel for installation instead of allowing all proposed packages to be installed? Then after reboot uncheck the proposed updates as stated in the steps below?



    Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    The new Kernel is now available to install!

    The root cause is a bug in the Intel graphics driver included in the Ubuntu kernel. The bug has been resolved and Ubuntu developers have released a new Ubuntu kernel that includes the fix. Please follow the below instructions to install the new kernel.

    1.) Click the Ubuntu icon in your launcher and type "Update". Open Update Manager.
    2.) Click "Settings..." on the bottom left of the Update Manager window
    3.) Check the checkbox next to "Pre-released updates (precise-prosed)", enter your password and click "Close".
    4.) On the Update Manager window click the "Check" button. Then click "Install Updates".
    5.) After the updates are installed, reboot your laptop

    Now that the new kernel is installed, we want to turn off Proposed Updates. Open Update Manager again, click Settings..., and uncheck the check box next to "Pre-released updates (precise-prosed)". You're all set!

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Beans
    2,564
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Kernel Updates on LemU4, PanP9, and GazP7 Laptops

    Quote Originally Posted by maxvon91 View Post
    Hello. I just wanted to point out that this method is a little bit dangerous to your system. You are in effect installing more than just the proposed kernel update. This can lead to instability in the packages since proposed is not exactly stable.

    Wouldn't it be more prudent to only select the kernel for installation instead of allowing all proposed packages to be installed? Then after reboot uncheck the proposed updates as stated in the steps below?
    The updated kernel is now available through the normal update channels, so this process isn't necessary. But at the time, we tested installing all of the updates to ensure that nothing was unstable. In theory, you would be right, but in order to avoid confusion, we tested them all anyway.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •