Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unity vs GNOME 3 vs GNOME Classic vs Cinnamon

Beans

Re: Unity vs GNOME 3 vs GNOME Classic vs Cinnamon

Quote Originally Posted by GameX2 View Post
    I use Unity with Compiz - much faster to use.
    I've tested GNOME3 for the first time just yesterday, and it's not bad, but not perfect for me. All windows are not showing at the top bar, too bad. Otherwise, it look quite modern.

Excellent impression of Cinnamon. I've tested Mint 13, and that might be the other distribution I'll use if someday I quit Ubuntu, for some reason (Canonical changing too many things?).
    Is there a way to use Compiz on others desktops? I tried compiz --replace, but it cause a crash.

Too bad it doesn't seem to work with others desktops.. Not only it's super cool, but is also excellent to manage all my windows, using CCSM. I can make a windows more transparent, only appear on a selected workspace, and many others tweaks, just with CCSM.
    And hey, you can have a pretty cool-looking GNOME 3 when set up right, I've been refining mine lately, and this is the final result: http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...8&d=1364909039

Shell: DeLorean Dark. GTK: DkGreen. Window: Darkmint. Icon: Malys Uniblue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Unity vs GNOME 3 vs GNOME Classic vs Cinnamon

Linux Mint with MATE is awesome. For me it is most ergonomic and practical desktop that Unity, Gnome 3 or Classic.
    But on my Lenovo notebook there were some issues with sound volume in Mint ... the volume was way lower than in Ubuntu, even when set at 100%, it was just not loud enough, where in Ubuntu setting volume to 50-60% was very loud. Had some problems with internal mic. In Ubuntu (12/13) all works fine.

Tried Kubuntu and Xubuntu dekstops. Kubuntu took up too much hardware resources. Xubuntu is minimalistic, looks similar to Classic but lacks some small tweaks, keyboard shortcuts and so on. Also on Kubuntu I could not have separate panels for systray/icons (top panel as default) and another panel just for active apps/windows - looked for solution, tried playing around with extra panels, but no go

Installed too many desktops, and could not remove them properly (even when used commands: purge/remove), still had thos in desktop list when you log in, login screen also did not change back to Ubuntu one, as well as GRUB which switched to Kubuntu one ... one hell of a mess.

So now I'm with fresh installation of 12.04 LTS, with extra GNOME 3/Classic desktops.
    And have a small dillema between those two.
    GNOME 3 is fine, much nicer and better than Unity. I love they way you can quickly search for installed apps. But missing panels with active apps/windows, need to press "Window" key or move mouse to top left corner to see what's open, to see quick launch panel and so on. And all that may become a nuisance after a while. Also cannot see any notifications on chat clients like FB Messenger, KADU, Pidgin ...

Classic dekstop seems like a perfect solution, but it has some hiccups from time to time. In Ubuntu 13 could not close or minimise windows/apps just by clicking on close/minimise buttons ... just nothing was happening. That seemed like a bug, which still hasnt been fixed. That's very annoying.

In the end I would prefer Mint with MATE, but the sound issue ...
    Thomas
    Linux Registered User: 368765
    Lenovo G770 i5 2.3Ghz 8GB RAM
    Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12