Thread: AMD Processor Support

Beans

AMD Processor Support

I have used AMD graphics cards with many distros and will never use them again on any computer. Do AMD processors work well with Ubuntu? What about the graphics cards in their APUs?

Beans

Re: AMD Processor Support

I have a FX 6100 that works well with a GeForce card. I haven´t used any AMD APU though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

I use an AMD 6-core processor with Ubuntu 12.10 and Mint 15 and it works fine. As in MS Windows, it uses all the cores.

As to video drivers, AMD has a nasty habit of terminating Linux driver support when their video chipsets are still in cards that are on the shelf. My PC is only two years old and the video chipset (AMD 4290) was dropped from AMD support last summer.

I've also seen lots of posts in this forum about folks having problems with the newer AMD video cards and with the newer APUs -- but not having either, I can't provide specifics.
    Ubuntu 17.04 Mate, Mint 18.1 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

AMD CPU's work just fine.

As to video drivers, AMD has a nasty habit of terminating Linux driver support when their video chipsets are still in cards that are on the shelf.
    That's not a big deal now that the open-source driver is useable (i.e. has proper power management).

Beans

Thanks for the replies. Will use AMD procs in some of my cheaper computers from now on.
    Last edited by the pwner224; August 23rd, 2013 at 12:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I use an AMD processor on my home computer and have never had a problem. I've had great luck with it and AMD processors in general. Wouldn't describe any difference in support from the Intel processors.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My desktop uses an Athlon II X2 on a Gigabyte board w/ AMD graphics. I disabled the onboard graphics, plugged in an Nvidia graphics adapter and life seems fine.