Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total networking fail w/empty routing table after accidental 12.04 restart

Beans

Total networking fail w/empty routing table after accidental 12.04 restart

Like the title says. I put my Lenovo B570 laptop into sleep mode after some CPU problems (what is wrong with you ksoftirqd) and it restarted on me for some reason. Now networking is disabled altogether, my routing table is empty, and the total contents of /etc/network/interfaces is as follows:

Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    ...though I don't know if that's how it's supposed to be or not.

I can't make heads or tails out of most of the troubleshooting advice that's out there. Some of it seems to consist of things like "check to see if such-and-such looks right" without any commentary on what such-and-such is supposed to look like. Can you give me any more substantial help?

Beans

Re: Total networking fail w/empty routing table after accidental 12.04 restart

That's what /etc/network/interfaces is supposed to look like IF you are running the standard desktop version (which uses network-manager instead of the older networking service)

Are you using a wired or a wireless interface? network-manager should be smart enough to bring up a default wired interface with DHCP. Wireless may take a bit more work. The first thing I would do is run these to see what state everything is in:

Code:
    service network-manager status
    nm-tool

Beans

Plugging in an Ethernet cable does precisely squat. Still says "Networking disabled; ✓ Enable Networking; (i) Connection Information; (pencil) Edit Connections..." As for the rest...

Code:
    $ service network-manager status
    /usr/bin/service: 123: exec: status: not found
    $ nm-tool

NetworkManager Tool

State: asleep

- Device: eth0 -----------------------------------------------------------------
      Type:              Wired
      Driver:            r8169
      State:             unmanaged
      Default:           no
      HW Address:        F0:DE:F1:90:7A:74

Capabilities:
        Carrier Detect:  yes
        Speed:           100 Mb/s

Wired Properties
        Carrier:         on

- Device: eth1 -----------------------------------------------------------------
      Type:              802.11 WiFi
      Driver:            wl
      State:             unmanaged
      Default:           no
      HW Address:        94:39:E5:04:D1:50

Capabilities:

Wireless Properties
        WEP Encryption:  yes
        WPA Encryption:  yes
        WPA2 Encryption: yes

Wireless Access Points

Beans

looks like it might be a problem with power management (suspend / resume) - can you do

Code:
    rfkill list all

Beans

Code:
    0: ideapad_wlan: Wireless LAN
    	Soft blocked: no
    	Hard blocked: no
    1: brcmwl-0: Wireless LAN
    	Soft blocked: no
    	Hard blocked: no

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shay Guy View Post
    Code:
    $ service network-manager status
    /usr/bin/service: 123: exec: status: not found
    Hmm... wait... I missed that... very odd: could you please try

Code:
    /usr/bin/env PATH=/sbin:/usr/bin service network-manager status

Beans

Code:
    $ /usr/bin/env PATH=/sbin:/usr/bin service network-manager status
    network-manager start/running, process 919

Beans

OK well that sounds like an unrelated bug in /usr/bin/service

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...t/+bug/1008892

I'm *almost* convinced that your issue is related to power management - I believe there are some tricks you can do with /etc/pm/config.d/config e.g.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...21&postcount=2

(in your case I guess the driver name should be changed to "wl") but I'm hesitant to advise you since it's not something I've ever had to deal with - you may prefer to wait for a grown-up to come along

Beans

Yeah, the SUSPEND_MODULES thing didn't work. And I really know nothing about power management or how it interacts with networking.

Beans

have you tried suspending / resuming just to make sure it picks up the changes?

you could also check in the BIOS to see if there is an option to power down wireless on suspend and if so turn that off

that's all I've got - sorry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast