Thread: Unable to connect to Facebook chat in Pidgin

Beans

Unable to connect to Facebook chat in Pidgin

This just happened about a half hour ago. I get kicked out of Facebook chat in Pidgin. I try to log on, and it says I've logged on from another location. So I kill every possible connection from my Facebook account and change my password.

Now, when I try to log onto my Facebook chat, with new password, it shows "Undefined condition"

Is anyone else getting this problem?
    Don't like Unity? Hate it? Not your cup of coffee? Ubuntu does provide choices. There's GNOME Shell, KDE Plasma, Xfce, LXDE, and now MATE and Cinnamon. Take your pick

Beans

Re: Unable to connect to Facebook chat in Pidgin

Don't know how I did it, but it's working now.

edit:
    Just kicked me off again, and got "Undefined Condition"
    Last edited by viperdvman; July 1st, 2012 at 04:48 AM.
    Don't like Unity? Hate it? Not your cup of coffee? Ubuntu does provide choices. There's GNOME Shell, KDE Plasma, Xfce, LXDE, and now MATE and Cinnamon. Take your pick

Beans

I'm also having the same sort of the same issue. For the past almost year I have been able to use facebook chat though pidgin (using the Facebook(XMPP)) plugin, but the past week any time I try and log in I get the following

and the following IM shows up from facebook

Code:
    (12:11:33 AM) chat.facebook.com: Your account is temporarily unavailable. Regain access by logging into your account from your computer's web browser: http://www.facebook.com/
    I have tried numerous times logging in logging out even went so far as to deactivate and reactivate my facebook but to no avail am I able to get it to work.

Should probably be stated I'm using Xubuntu 12.04 and Pidgin 2.10.6

EDIT - I just noticed I've brought back a thread from 4 months ago I'm terribly sorry for that.
    Last edited by MrHotsauce; October 11th, 2012 at 06:29 AM.

Beans

Angry Re: Unable to connect to Facebook chat in Pidgin

I've been struggling with the same issue now for more than a week.

I'm trying to connect to the chat service via XMPP clients, but I'm unable to connect.
    The authentication goes through OK, but (in Adium at least) I get a "Resource Conflict" error (other clients are a bit more cryptic in their responses).
    I've also tried different XMPP clients, including the one now included with the latest version(s) of ThunderBird (config'd as detailed @ https://www.facebook.com/sitetour/chat.php).

I've recently enabled 2FA & generated a unique password/hash for every connecting client - similarly as I do for my google chat connections.

I can see the authentication going through OK (i.e. a different message than if I entered an incorrect password), but then the connection is terminated with the the following message returned:
    "Your account is temporarily unavailable. Regain access by logging into your account from your computer's web browser: http://www.facebook.com/"

I've tried logging off *all* my clients, including my mobile & reconnecting with a single XMPP client only, but the problem persists.

This has happening for little over a week now & I find it deeply frustrating, as I rely on my various IM services to stay in contact with friends, family & colleagues.

I believe that this is an issue at FB server-side, and not the client, as I've tried this with multiple different clients from different connections.

If anyone has any insights into this, that would be a *great* help
    FLOSS'er

Beans

Hi !

I experienced the same error : "Undefined Condition" (on linux mint 14 / Ubuntu 12.04 with Pidgin 2.10.6).

The fix is to allow applications to connect to Facebook outside a browser :
    On facebook.com :
    – account > settings
    apps
    apps you use and set it to "on"

I hope this helps.

Beans

Thanks for the info, but unfortunately I can still not get this to work.
    The setting was on for me (with some rather restrictive controls), so I tried turning the option off & back on again, but problem persists.

Can you please provide some additional info?
    FLOSS'er