Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: GParted in UBUNTU shows entire disk as UNALLOCATED SPACE

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    1,099
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: GParted in UBUNTU shows entire disk as UNALLOCATED SPACE

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    It usually is not gparted, but Windows (or third party Windows partition tools) and sometimes testdisk that cannot count and make extended too large.

    Fixparts - Repair broken partition tables (not overlapping issues) & delete Stray gpt data from MBR drives
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1705325
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/fixparts/
    First backup partition table and copy to another device.
    sudo sfdisk -d /dev/sda > parts_sda.txt
    Hey oldfred

    I believe it was you who helped me with my issue of GParted showing my entire disk as unallocated space.

    So I wasn't right about sda4 being larger than the disk drive itself?
    Last edited by Shadius; July 1st, 2012 at 04:43 AM.
    Question Everything

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Philippines
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: GParted in UBUNTU shows entire disk as UNALLOCATED SPACE

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    Okay, it seems the problem is sda4 instead. Notice that it ends at 625153409, but the total sectors of the disk drive are 625142488. So if you do that math, it's over by 10921. You will have to shrink the size of the partition to bring it back into the disk drive, so to speak. Sorry for the confusion, but I'm sure that this is the problem, this time. You might wait for a second opinion on this also.
    Yes, I think you are right, so the question now is how do I modify the extended partition (sda4) to match the end the total sectors???

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Philippines
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: GParted in UBUNTU shows entire disk as UNALLOCATED SPACE

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    It usually is not gparted, but Windows (or third party Windows partition tools) and sometimes testdisk that cannot count and make extended too large.

    Fixparts - Repair broken partition tables (not overlapping issues) & delete Stray gpt data from MBR drives
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1705325
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/fixparts/
    First backup partition table and copy to another device.
    sudo sfdisk -d /dev/sda > parts_sda.txt
    Here's the output of the parts.txt
    Code:
    # partition table of /dev/sda
    unit: sectors
    
    /dev/sda1 : start=     2048, size=104867840, Id=83, bootable
    /dev/sda2 : start=104869888, size=   204800, Id= 7
    /dev/sda3 : start=105074688, size= 51075072, Id= 7
    /dev/sda4 : start=156151800, size=469001610, Id= f
    /dev/sda5 : start=156151808, size= 13004784, Id=82
    /dev/sda6 : start=169158656, size=125833216, Id= 7
    /dev/sda7 : start=294993920, size=176044025, Id= 7
    /dev/sda8 : start=471041928, size=154079225, Id= 7
    I already copied that file to a USB disk.
    What to do next? Is it safe to use fixparts?

    I tried fixparts /dev/sda and type p, here's the output:
    Code:
    FixParts 0.8.4
    
    Loading MBR data from /dev/sda
    
    MBR command (? for help): p
    
    ** NOTE: Partition numbers do NOT indicate final primary/logical status,
    ** unlike in most MBR partitioning tools!
    
    ** Extended partitions are not displayed, but will be generated as required.
    
    Disk size is 625142448 sectors (298.1 GiB)
    MBR disk identifier: 0xB30AB30A
    MBR partitions:
    
                                                       Can Be   Can Be
    Number  Boot  Start Sector   End Sector   Status   Logical  Primary   Code
       1      *           2048    104869887   primary              Y      0x83
       2             104869888    105074687   primary              Y      0x07
       3             105074688    156149759   primary              Y      0x07
       5             156151808    169156591   logical     Y               0x82
       6             169158656    294991871   logical     Y               0x07
       7             294993920    471037944   logical     Y               0x07
       8             471041928    625121152   logical     Y               0x07
    The extended partition was not listed, but will it be fixed???

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    1,099
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: GParted in UBUNTU shows entire disk as UNALLOCATED SPACE

    Quote Originally Posted by Prescilla View Post
    Yes, I think you are right, so the question now is how do I modify the extended partition (sda4) to match the end the total sectors???
    That part I'm a little unsure about, but I've used GParted to resize my partitions before. I imagine it would be the same.
    Question Everything

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Philippines
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: GParted in UBUNTU shows entire disk as UNALLOCATED SPACE

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    That part I'm a little unsure about, but I've used GParted to resize my partitions before. I imagine it would be the same.
    That's where my problem lies. I have been using GParted for partitioning and since it shows my drive as unallocated space, I can't do anything.

    Do you know how to use fdisk? I guess I'll have to do some research first.
    Thank you again.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    1,099
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: GParted in UBUNTU shows entire disk as UNALLOCATED SPACE

    Quote Originally Posted by Prescilla View Post
    That's where my problem lies. I have been using GParted for partitioning and since it shows my drive as unallocated space, I can't do anything.

    Do you know how to use fdisk? I guess I'll have to do some research first.
    Thank you again.
    Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with fdisk as I am with GParted. You might want to take a look at FixParts. If you ever solve this, please post back here and let me know what you did to solve it, if you can.
    Last edited by Shadius; July 1st, 2012 at 07:12 AM.
    Question Everything

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Philippines
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: GParted in UBUNTU shows entire disk as UNALLOCATED SPACE

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with fdisk as I am with GParted. You might want to take a look at FixParts. If you ever solve this, please post back here and let me know what you did to solve it, if you can.
    Hello again. I have tried fixparts and it did solve the unallocated space issue.

    But then again I still can't boot into Ubuntu. I still get the
    Code:
    error: hd0 out of disk. Press any key to continue...

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    1,099
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: GParted in UBUNTU shows entire disk as UNALLOCATED SPACE

    Quote Originally Posted by Prescilla View Post
    Hello again. I have tried fixparts and it did solve the unallocated space issue.

    But then again I still can't boot into Ubuntu. I still get the
    Code:
    error: hd0 out of disk. Press any key to continue...
    You get that error when trying to boot into Ubuntu? Have you tried using the GParted LiveCD now to see if the partitions show up properly after using FixParts?
    Question Everything

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Forida
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: GParted in UBUNTU shows entire disk as UNALLOCATED SPACE

    Unless you ran the command to write after starting fixparts it does not correct the error. Did you press w?
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Philippines
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: GParted in UBUNTU shows entire disk as UNALLOCATED SPACE

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Unless you ran the command to write after starting fixparts it does not correct the error. Did you press w?
    Yes, I did use the w option to write the partition table to disk. And I knew that it was successful since I can see all my partitions in gparted.

    The only problem now is the
    Code:
    error: hd0 out of disk. Press any key to continue...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •