Thread: Evolution Contacts list / Email puzzle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Evolution Contacts list / Email puzzle

I've just switched from Thunderbird to Evolution. Well, maybe. I might revert. (64bit version 3.2.3)

I exported my Thunderbird Address book in csv format.
    I imported it into the Evolution Contacts (discovering that you had to tell it that it was a Mozilla csv not an Evolution csv on the way).
    It looks OK. (I'm not using it to drive a Calendar etc, just as a source for Email addresses)

BUT if I open a New Email and click on the 'To' button to see the Contacts list intending to choose who the Email is to go to, I just get the email addresses listed, NOT the names. Am I missing something?

(I'd also like to be able to sort them by last name, not first name when viewing an address book. Is that too much to ask?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

[SOLVED, kind of]: Evolution Contacts list / Email puzzle

Well, I've reverted to Thunderbird. It took 10 minutes to find out how to migrate Lucid Thunderbird to Precise and about 2 to do it - including making the precautionary backups! After telling it the Account details.

Two things really broke Evolution for me.
    1. Any time I tried to edit a Contact in a subsidiary Address Book (ie not in the default Personal) it appeared to do it then when I clicked OK it booted me out of Evolution completely
    2. Having moved a contact to Personal and successfully edited it there it would not move it back where it belonged.

It was also really slow at moving emails around from one folder to another and a couple disappeared altogether.
    By the way, what I was missing was adding the Column 'File As' to the Contacts display. But maybe there was more..... Bizarre!

I wonder why these programs do not keep Contacts/Address Books in a simple csv format which could be maintained as a spreadsheet? With the speed of today's computers building the indexes which might be wanted internally would not be prohibitively slow and the flexibility of editing using LibreOffice would be a huge gain.