Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need to edit post

Beans

Re: Need to edit post

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    What I'm seeing is someone who is still able to contribute intelligently, in spite of (because of?) some potentially serious distractions. As I say to Mrs Lisati (long story short: she experienced a stroke last year), whatever contributions you are able to make ARE appreciated.
    Quite well said

I've now been dealing with the aftermath of meningoencephalitis for nearly eleven years and many things have improved but other things are simply impossible.

Patience and acceptance are IMHO the most supportive things a loved one can do. Trying to think of the best way to put this ............

A lot of times recovering from a physical injury it's best to push really hard to speed recovery.

With a brain injury just the opposite is true. If you push too hard it can have an adverse effect.

And, very important, you must learn to accept new limitations or you can get very depressed.

Sorry for that rant. Just keep loving Mrs Lisati

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    But you left out one group of people, those who know their limitations and already have a full plate
    I understand your situation, and we all appreciate the time you devote to the forums.

But, IMO, this group, those with limitations, benefit most from collaboration. You do not need to do this alone, whether we are talking about recovery or forums or wiki, as a community we are stronger then we would be as individuals.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

But, IMO, this group, those with limitations, benefit most from collaboration. You do not need to do this alone, whether we are talking about recovery or forums or wiki, as a community we are stronger then we would be as individuals.
    I agree 100%. In fact both my Oneiric classic and Precise classic notes are a total collaboration. When Lubuntu announced early in the Precise dev cycle that they would not be LTS I needed a "classic" solution for roughly 2 to 3 dozen older users whose PC's I maintain.

* A bit OT but I'm personally now fine with either Unity or Lubuntu but I needed an LTS option that pleased others. *

Anyway I knew nothing beyond installing 'gnome-session-fallback' but lots of forum members provided bits-n-pieces of info and I just wanted to basically lump all of the relevant bits into one fairly convenient place so the more impatient among us could hopefully find stuff more easily

I can actually see some advantage to the wiki in that regard because a few of the tweaks and tricks I mention there are just as relevant to Unity as they are to classic (no effects), eg; Caffeine as a replacement for the 'gnome-inhibit-applet, so it could presumably have it's own wiki page and just be linked to from various other wikis.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm very disappointed with this decision, not being able to edit posts. I think Ubuntu made again a move without caring about users opinion. Wikis may be helpful in some cases, but that doesn't justify imposing new habits to users who have been usings these forums for years.

I used a lot of my time making a nice thread to help users solve their problems with Ubuntu, and now after more than two years I cannot edit it anymore, which to me is like having a dead thread. I'm not going to spend more of my time doing a wiki, who knows if in a couple of years they will make another decision to limit them aswell.

I don't think Ubuntu is for human beings anymore. It's becoming more like Microsoft and Apple, imposing their will without caring about users!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jsevi83 View Post
    I'm very disappointed with this decision, not being able to edit posts. I think Ubuntu made again a move without caring about users opinion.
    That is both untrue and unfair. The fact of the matter is most of the users support the move to the wiki.

With a community this large, it is impossible to make decisions that will make all the members happy all the time.

It is by far more disruptive to the community when users, such as yourself, do not bother to show up at FC meetings or discuss your concerns on IRC, and then complain after the fact.

This post - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1954664 is almost 3 months old, where have you been ?

If you are interested in the discussion and decision making process, you have to participate.
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; July 2nd, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

With that I am going to close this thread now. The goal of opening the thread was to discuss supporting users migrating to wiki not to debate the decision.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12