Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gnome Devs are lost? removing features now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Gnome Devs are lost? removing features now

Are Gnome developers so bored that now they have to remove features in this case Nautilus version 3.52 which will be in 12.10.
    They have removed Nautilus-->Go-->Computer, so if you don't use the sidebar you can't navigate to your Filesystem.

They have removed compact layout view, which was useful for folders with many files.

They have also removed the tree view, which although I don't use is useful for new users coming from Windows.

There is also an awful choice to use ellipsis formatting haphazardly. But in the alpha 2 I can't see it coming into play.

The scary part is thinking what more features they plan on removing?
    Hopefully Marlin file manager can get more developer support and users for it to become stable.

More info
    http://iloveubuntu.net/nautilus-352-...s-and-removals

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Gnome Devs are lost? removing features now

I dont understand this current trend, not just in Gnome, but in computing in general. For some reason, developers think that by removing features it becomes simpler. They forget that these features were added to make it simpler. A much better option in my opinion is to keep existing features, but make them optional. This way, the applications can ship in the simple format the devs want, but can be customized by the user to suit their needs. This is why I love KDE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Removing features makes the applications simpler to test exhaustively, which makes them more reliable, which is certainly a kind of simplicity. Unused features do also take up space in the UI; and why bother the user with making decisions about these things?

Gnome's been very aggressive about this for quite some time, so pt123, if you liked the previous version of Nautilus, you were appreciating a product of exactly this process.

And I'm actually using Marlin as my default fm right now - and it complicates my life with its oversimplification. There really is no happy middle ground - it's an unpleasant compromise coming from both sides.

Beans
    Distro

Yes I agree, but the KDE's file manager Dolphin lead developer quit a few days ago.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    Removing features makes the applications simpler to test exhaustively
    But it should not be placed above functionality. This is what happens when developer is more concerned about themself than the user. You wouldn't see this in commercial applications.
    which makes them more reliable
    I don't buy this is as Nautilus has been reliable for many releases now.

Unused features do also take up space in the UI; and why bother the user
    They are not unused features, they help getting around key problems. New users come from Windows (tree view), the clunkiness of Gnome (compact layout).

Beans
    Distro

I used Gnome Shell on Fedora for 6 months. I really liked it. (I've reverted to ubuntu because I just couldn't get bumblebee to function properly under f16 or f17)

The upcoming changes I have read about do not sound good to me. I liked the app categories in gnome and thought they were very well laid out (compared to unity).

Personally I feel that nautilus is properly one of the most noticeable weak points in both Gnome and Unity. I think dolphin is a much better file manager (And from what I've seen, windows explorer too). While I'm used to it now after several years, the directory layouts in nautilus suck, taking away any of the limited options there are is stupid.

That shortening of folder names looks damn ugly too. The new folder with selection option is cool!

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It seems to be the law of the UI, lately on all OSes:

Seldom used = Never used = Unnecessary

It's the same mentality as 2 + 2 = 5.

Beans

Marlin just became far better now, but its still unstable and needs a search function.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by click4851 View Post
    sadly negative discussions are destined for "recurring hell".
    No. Recurring discussions tend to end up there... so we will see how this discussion goes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    I dont understand this current trend, not just in Gnome, but in computing in general.
    I don't get it either. The old desktop environments were not hard to use (even for younger kids)... we really don't need stripped down interfaces for the desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    This is why I love KDE
    KDE is where it is at these days. I love the flexibility of it, which can even provide a streamlined interface without sacrificing features.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast