Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gnome Devs are lost? removing features now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Gnome Devs are lost? removing features now

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Usually, all it takes is adding the new Gnome version number in a text file, and it works again.
    My experience 3.2 -> 3.4 was about 50-50 with editing the json file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If I understand things correctly, I don't think they actually removed anything. When everything switched to Gnome 3, it broke a lot, and they had to start developing things from the ground up. So they didn't actually remove anything; they're just in the process of adding things back.
    No you have not understood this correctly. Those features I have listed are available in the current version of Nautilus in 12.04, version 3.4.2 which is also Gnome 3. So they are not in the process of adding things back.

For the others stop dragging this into the usual KDE Vs Gnome debate.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by pt123 View Post
    No you have not understood this correctly. Those features I have listed are available in the current version of Nautilus in 12.04, version 3.4.2 which is also Gnome 3. So they are not in the process of adding things back.
    Well, that is a load of crap, then. But I do know that there are some Gnome 2 features that they haven't gotten around to reimplementing yet. One of the biggest ones is the ability to add a custom command for setting a filetype's Open With property.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah, that doesn't jive. Nautilus was extensively changed for 3.0. They didn't remove the up button because it wasn't compatible with Gnome 3. (Not to say that there weren't hiccups of that kind. God, I'm still just glad the typehead functionality was eventually restored.)

Edit: Could you cite a source on the "custom command" bit? My impression is that that feature was another one removed for simplicity. (And I'm admittedly getting tired of manually creating .desktop files to work around it, so I'd love to hear that's not the case.)

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947
    My experience 3.2 -> 3.4 was about 50-50 with editing the json file.
    I'm using very few extensions now, largely because the ones I liked were the ones that broke. Editing metadata.json allows you to activate the extension, but that doesn't mean it'll actually function with Gnome 3.4. If the extension incompatibilities don't settle down in any way, then the extension base is going to become useless, because everyone is making extensions and no one is maintaining them. It simply takes less effort to write them than to maintain them, so stir in human nature and the results are inevitable.

The only ones I'm using now that aren't just designed to remove a redundant UI feature are one for keyboard workspace navigation in the overview and one of the sixteen variations on an extension to unbreak Alt+Tab.
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; June 29th, 2012 at 10:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    Edit: Could you cite a source on the "custom command" bit? My impression is that that feature was another one removed for simplicity. (And I'm admittedly getting tired of manually creating .desktop files to work around it, so I'd love to hear that's not the case.)
    No. I guess it was just wishful thinking. I hope you're not right about that. That's a pretty stupid thing to remove. It sure doesn't make things simpler for the user.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

No. I guess it was just wishful thinking. I hope you're not right about that. That's a pretty stupid thing to remove. It sure doesn't make things simpler for the user.
    Here's a bug report issued to Gnome about "Custom Command" : https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=650284
    for the past 7 years, all major Linux environments (KDE, GNOME, and virtually everyone else) have adopted (machine-readable) desktop files to define applications and allow them to be identified, launched, associated to other pieces of the stack like the shell and the MIME type system. well-behaved applications should conform to the desktop entry specification, as hosted on freedesktop.org:
    That reaction reveals 3 things in my mind:

(1) It's not a Gnome bug or omission it's everyone else's fault. The problem of course is that means the the development of all the other applications must also have adult supervision and I see no evidence of that.

(2) "Custom Command" can mean associate to a specific program but it can also mean well ... a custom command - one that I specify ... perhaps my own script which is left out of this discussion.

(3) They have no intention fixing something that isn't broke.

If you want this functionality install Thunar.
    Last edited by Morbius1; June 30th, 2012 at 05:17 PM.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think sometimes developers don't really understand that a file truly is a concept that they need to respect, and that the world isn't ready to confuse files and applications.

In reality, people need multiple applications for one file type. There's also the problem of applications that have multiple file types. How do you handle the overlap between applications and their file types if not with the ability to allow the user to customize which app handles which file type. This is something the developers apparently haven't considered.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Actually i noticed even back in gnome2, that is why i decided to move to Xfce. Gnome makes no sense from any point of view: it is bloated, unfriendly, restricted and buggy.
    i5-2500, Asus p8p67le, 8g ddr3, gtx460. Eeepc 701 4g surf.

vm.swappiness=0;noatime,data=writeback;deadline scheduler;preload.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    A much better option in my opinion is to keep existing features, but make them optional. This way, the applications can ship in the simple format the devs want, but can be customized by the user to suit their needs. This is why I love KDE
    Exactly. KDE has done a brilliant job of shipping their stuff with sane, non-overwhelming default configurations, but having many more options available when you need or want them. I would hate having to use Linux if I were forced to use Gnome .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123