Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: No Nexus 7 for me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: No Nexus 7 for me

Again, thanks for the help. The Nook works great for Netfix, and the display is good, but I know I would like the Android 4.1 much better that the cut down version of Android that B&N uses on the Nook. I know that the Nexus 7 may have a downside but I am still leaning that way. At first I wasn't, remember I was the one who started this thread, "No Nexus 7 for me". I might be changing the title to "Yes, Nexus 7 for me".

While I am add it, can I ask about Google's storage. Are you using it to store file? Like Books, Videos, Music etc. Right now I use UbuntuOne on my Nook to store extra stuff I want to download to the Nook. I also have an extra 32gig SD card, which I know I can't use in the Nexus 7. How dose that work for you, not having the SD slot?
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    Again, thanks for the help. The Nook works great for Netfix, and the display is good, but I know I would like the Android 4.1 much better that the cut down version of Android that B&N uses on the Nook. I know that the Nexus 7 may have a downside but I am still leaning that way. At first I wasn't, remember I was the one who started this thread, "No Nexus 7 for me". I might be changing the title to "Yes, Nexus 7 for me".

While I am add it, can I ask about Google's storage. Are you using it to store file? Like Books, Videos, Music etc. Right now I use UbuntuOne on my Nook to store extra stuff I want to download to the Nook. I also have an extra 32gig SD card, which I know I can't use in the Nexus 7. How dose that work for you, not having the SD slot?
    I was going to get the 8 GB Nexus 7, and my wife convinced me to get the 16 GB one. I'm glad I did! I don't think I'll need more than 16 GB, but I did already load it up with some pictures, music, and movies, and I think it'll fill up quite quickly.

It's obviously a media consumption device and not a storage device, so my plan is to have two iTunes playlists synced up, two or three movies, and a couple of photo albums. My phone actually has more storage (32 GB), so I put more movies on there, all my camera photos, and all my favorite songs (not just a couple of playlists).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, Amazon streaming is not great on the Nexus 7. Flash on Android has always been a bit buggy for streaming.

Beans

I love my nexus 7. Hook up a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and I have 250 dollar device that can do 90% of what I need a computer to do. I have my desktop for the rest.

Beans

haha you nearly filled 40gb! i have just under 2gb total, and about 1.3gb free! i am not a 'media' junkie though, i have some wallpapers, ring-tones, .txt files, and all the awesome apps i need/want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah, I don't find myself making a lot of use of the local storage, either - if it says anything, when I think "file manager," I open Dropbox. = ) I keep most of my music local, but that's not a big dent in 16 gigs.

I'm really amazed to find how many 7" tasks there really are for which 10" is too much. I use the desktop (really a netbook with an extra display) for most video, but if I want to share a YouTube video with someone IRL, my impulse is to pick up the Nexus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

For me the lack of a good rear camera is the deal breaker. I have a Acer a100 and I use the camera a lot, pics aren't as good as my good camera but they are way better than my phone!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just saw this one today. Out of all the tablets I seen, this one makes sense. An Intel processor i3 or i5 with a 64 or 128 gig SSD, front and rear facing camera all with 1080p. 1920X1080 HD resolution. Bluetooth keyboard and a docking cradle. What more could you ask for? But there is one big problem, it comes with windows 8. For me this was the perfect hardware for Ubuntu OS.
    If some company would buy a bunch of these and install Ubuntu OS on them they could sell a million of them for the right price.
    http://www.zdnet.com/acer-iconia-w700-another-windows-8-tablet-for-799-7000005338/
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post

My music is on Google Music which allows up to 20,000 songs I believe. PDFs I either put on my Ubuntu One or just transfer them to my device itself. With all the games, music I've had put on there for offline use and that I'm only using about 8.6GB with 5.6GB free.

Space isn't really an issue cause I'm going to get a cheap computer and do an OwnCloud server and share files on that (if I really need the space, which I doubt I will). It just depends on what you do and what you really need the space for.

Example: When I have certain moods I usually listen to Songza, Slacker or Pandora - if I want music if I'm taking a walk I'll sync only what I know I'll listen to while walking e.g. Framing Hanley, DJ Tiesto, etc. and remove it if I don't need it.
    I check and see what games I do and don't play and remove the ones I played for a bit but don't have attachment to or I know I won't continue playing.

All in all it's what you feel you need. I could have just got the 8GB edition and been fine - I manage my space really well. Dang it now I'm going to play Jetpack Joyride.
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    This is a Linux powered tablet. You might see a specifically Ubuntu one at some point in the future, although not likely from a big name.
    Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Basically a Ubuntu powered tablet. I'd buy one.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast