Thread: I want to learn more about Processors...

Beans

I want to learn more about Processors...

...and to that end I have an example.

My Machine:

Acer Aspire One D257
    Intel Atom 1.6 GHz, Integrated graphics at 200 MHz and 32 Mb Ram
    1 Gb Ram
    320 Gb HDD
    32 bit Lubuntu 12.04 LTS

When I bought my netbook it came with Windows 7 starter and the above hardware. I had Torchlight, which ran ok with all the settings as low as they could go. It was a little laggy but it was doable, no complaints after all its a netbook.

Now I have Lubuntu which has to use less RAM than Win7, so why does Torchlight lag more now? I have TL through Steam which takes up some space, as it did before, I just do not understand why it lags more now. The only thing I can figure is that it has to be software since that is what changed (I haven't managed to upgrade the RAM yet).

Any thoughts or information is welcome. I'm more interested in knowing how the computer works, than if I can get the FPS to improve.
    Crunchbang 11 "Waldorf"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: I want to learn more about Processors...

The amount of used RAM may or may not be relevant for games, but first and foremost, there must be decent 3d support, and Intel's i915 driver for Linux doesn't have it.

PS: If you want to know how the computers work, try this.

Beans

My old Compaq with 400 mb RAM and 1.6 GHz processor does a better job with 3D graphics because it had a more proper GPU. My Acer has Integrated graphics, so even though it has more RAM and whatnot, it lags bad on modern games. Oh well.
    Crunchbang 11 "Waldorf"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

From what I can see Torchlight is a Windows game..
    If you are running it using Wine then that could account for the decrease in performance.
    Cheesemill