Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a System76 laptop with a higher end graphics adapter?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Is there a System76 laptop with a higher end graphics adapter?

My Dell XPS crapped out and I need to score a new laptop ASAP. I've been running Ubuntu for years, so a System76 is a no-brainer for me, but on the website there seems to be only display option seems to be "Intel HD Graphics 4000".

I do quite a bit of screen sharing, software development, virtual machines, heavy compiz, movie playing, 3d visualization work all of which stressed out the nvidia card in my Dell XPS laptop to the max. I assume the Intel 4000 won't cut it.

I'm not really much of a gamer, so I don't need something too over the top.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Is there a System76 laptop with a higher end graphics adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by HDave View Post
    My Dell XPS crapped out and I need to score a new laptop ASAP. I've been running Ubuntu for years, so a System76 is a no-brainer for me, but on the website there seems to be only display option seems to be "Intel HD Graphics 4000".
    That's the GPU built into the Sandy Bridge processors. I think I read somewhere in this forum that there are no extra slots in the S76 laptops, so you may not have the option to add a discrete graphics processor.

Update: This is the thread I was thinking about... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1905451
    Last edited by brdmn; June 27th, 2012 at 09:47 PM.

Beans

In the past, there were System76 models with Nvidia GTX560 or GTX580 video cards. There was a bit of a slow time for System 76 machines around the time when Intel came out with new CPUs and Ubuntu moved to the 12.04 LTS. I would assume that higher end System 76 machines will be coming just around the corner.

BTW: I have Intel HD 3000 from System76 and the only thing I cannot do is wine video games. I can do virtual box and native Linux 3D stuff just fine. Intel 4000 should be fast enough for most tasks.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to call them and see what the ETA is on a high-end graphics laptop. I'll report back when I find out.

Beans
    Distro

Finally heard back from their sales support.

I am so bummed..they have nothing with a higher end graphics card and have no near term plans to have one either.

ARRGRGGGRG!!!!

Beans

Check with ZaReason:

http://zareason.com/shop/Laptops/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HDave View Post
    Finally heard back from their sales support.

I am so bummed..they have nothing with a higher end graphics card and have no near term plans to have one either.

ARRGRGGGRG!!!!
    Wait, they told me at the end of May that they would be testing systems with AMD cards and they should have a better idea of where they could go with those within a few weeks. By "no near term plans" did they mean they wouldn't have anything out next week, or that it could be another year?

I really want to go with S76, but it's been almost four months since they sold the high-end laptops. Should have ordered in February when I had the chance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

isantop answered this in another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    The problem is that if I say something wrong, and even if you don't hold it against me, someone else will. That and the fact that I really have no information about it. We'll hopefully have it sooner than a year, but beyond that I don't have the information to get more specific.
    My underlining.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Carborundum View Post
    isantop answered this in another thread:

My underlining.
    Oh yikes, hadn't seen that. Thanks for the catch!

If it could really be as long as a year, it might be time to start looking somewhere else

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I want to press buy right now so bad. But dell is offering some random laptop with an AMD gpu at the same price. I figure it's gotta be more reliable than the intel HD 4000. I don't dual boot or care for windows games. I just want my native linux games to work right and to be able to use Virtual box and multitasking to run fine. I want to support a linux company and not dell or some other crummy OEM which puts linux users as last. I think I might just go with the s76 anyways. As long as they will stand by to support the hardware with ubuntu i don't mind a performance hit. Although I'm coming from a very high end laptop which I'm selling to my brother for the price of this s76. I just don't like the trackpad in ubuntu. It's a macbook pro. I've been researching the intel hd 4000 for over a week now.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast