Thread: "Out of Space"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

"Out of Space"

I was given an error on VirtualBox today, and it claimed that, since the hard drive was full, it could no longer run. According to GParted, only 223.40/919.90 GB of space is used.
    However, my home folder says there is 3.8 GB of data stored there, and 108.5 KB of free space.
    Is the issue that the Home folder has too little space available? If so, how do I resize it?
    Edit-I've done some searching, and it appears I need to resize partitions via a live CD, as Wubi only gave me 32 GB. However, I want to know how I am supposed to copy my data.
    Last edited by Ubun2to; June 27th, 2012 at 02:46 AM.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: "Out of Space"

Hi, I am not sure if running virtual box is a good idea in wubi but here is a link to resize a wubi partition.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1625371

Also you could use an external drive for data.

I recommend doing a normal install of ubuntu.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Ubun2to View Post
    I was given an error on VirtualBox today, and it claimed that, since the hard drive was full, it could no longer run. According to GParted, only 223.40/919.90 GB of space is used.
    However, my home folder says there is 3.8 GB of data stored there, and 108.5 KB of free space.
    Is the issue that the Home folder has too little space available? If so, how do I resize it?
    You can't resize folders as they are not allocated actual sizes. They grow and shrink as needed.
    Edit-I've done some searching, and it appears I need to resize partitions via a live CD, as Wubi only gave me 32 GB. However, I want to know how I am supposed to copy my data.
    Wubi is NOT a partition; instead, it is basically a file installed INTO an existing MS Windows partition. It isn't the partition size that matters, it's the size of the file (root.disk). The link provided earlier tells you how to resize the space that a Wubi install uses.
    Ubuntu 16.10 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I forgot to mention that I have successfully migrated from Wubi to a new partition (that is much bigger, might I add). I have space for all the stuff I want now.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2011306
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus