Thread: Volume Control keyboard shortcut?

Beans

Volume Control keyboard shortcut?

I changed from one keyboard which had the media volume buttons to one without it. How may I control the volume by using my new keyboard? It has CTRL, "windows key", and ALT.

I see a lot of custom hacks to do this but I am thinking in Ubuntu there is probably an easy way already built in which I should use instead of hacking around. Anyone know?
    100% Microsoft Free Since April 2, 2009

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Volume Control keyboard shortcut?

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm2 View Post
    How may I control the volume by using my new keyboard?
    System → Preferences → Keyboard Shortcuts. Find the "Volume up" and "Volume down" entries and click in the box to select the shortcut of your choosing.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    System → Preferences → Keyboard Shortcuts. Find the "Volume up" and "Volume down" entries and click in the box to select the shortcut of your choosing.
    Thank you.
    100% Microsoft Free Since April 2, 2009

Beans

i'm in a very similar situation in that i have a keyboard with no 'special keys' just regular fkeys [f1-f12] and a standard qwerty keyboard. no frills.

the solution here doesn't work for me, because volume up and down are mapped to 'xf86audiolower/raisevolume', which i believe is my laptop's volume up and down keys. i don't want to undo that binding.

because of the way my desk is set up, that's a long reach for me to hit those buttons. is there either a keyboard shortcut [i've seen <alt><pgdn>/<pgup>, but it doesn't work] or a way to tell ubuntu that when i hit say, <f7> to bump the volume down without removing the existing shortcut to my laptop's special keys?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

And in 12.04 the location is

System Settings , Keyboard

There is a tab called Shortcuts, and a group on left called Sound and Media.