Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Combine Gnome shell and Gnome classic features

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Combine Gnome shell and Gnome classic features

+1

Although I insist on the fact that I don't feel comfortable working with 8 or 10 open windows both in Gnome shell or Unity. I gave them a try, but that's not the point of the thread.

I like Unity's HUD and I'd like to add it to gnome-classic, but we are at the same point, so

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    I don't see the point. If you like the Unity launcher so much then may as well just run Unity. Use ccsm to assign scale view to top left hot corner which makes Unity more like gnome shell.

Such an unnatural environment like this will be very fragile and will break every second update, etc.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry @mojo2012, I didn't see your response. I already did that, but it didn't work cause I work with different panels on bottom and on left

Quote Originally Posted by mojo2012 View Post
    I'd really like to work with Gnome Classic, but as said, I want a modern window manager. Taskbars are dead!

Today I managed to start the plain old gnome-panel in Gnome Shell. This gives a global menu and the notification indicators on top of gnome shell.
    I installed gnome shell extensions that hide the top bar and move the "show overview" hotcorner to the bottom left.

This works really greate so far, except for one time where gnome-panel crashed.

The last remaining wishes are:
    * Add a workspace switcher/pager to my second monitor
    * Add a shadow to the gnome panel (this can easily be done with compiz, but with mutter?

@Gosset Inofensiu: maybe you can launch gnome-panel above unity too. This could retain the unity dash and HUD functionality but hide the top panel. Then hide the launcher and you're fine

@sondraparkin: I did a quick google search and it seems that OpenBox doesn't support the features I want.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gosset Inofensiu View Post
    Although I insist on the fact that I don't feel comfortable working with 8 or 10 open windows both in Gnome shell or Unity. I gave them a try, but that's not the point of the thread.
    But a large number of open windows was/is more awkward to manage in that tiny classic/gnome2 style taskbar. I think it is much easier to quickly spot and select them in the greater real-estate scale/super view. So gnome-shell and unity, which exploit our modern graphics cards ability to natively produce that scaled view, are definitely an improvement here IMHO.
    Last edited by markbl; July 9th, 2012 at 01:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Distro

OK, this is the Neverending debate about desktop metaphor so... Maybe you are right, I should open my mind and get used to this new concept of GUI since more and more people are adopting these new DE as their default DE (taskbar is dead, I've even read on some other thread).

But take into account that only 1% of desktop computer users work with Linux, 90% works with Windows. Imagine the distress for that whole community of Microsoft Windows shaped users when first introducing themselves to Linux with such completely renewed DEs

OK, no more posts from me in this thread, thanks for the patience and understanding of a Linux newbie.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gosset Inofensiu View Post
    But take into account that only 1% of desktop computer users work with Linux, 90% works with Windows. Imagine the distress for that whole community of Microsoft Windows shaped users when first introducing themselves to Linux with such completely renewed DEs
    Well I have not looked at windows since XP days so I have no idea where it is at now. However, I do own a current Macbook Air running the latest Lion and the the Apple Mission Control UI is essentially the same as gnome-shell and unity (a bit of a mix of both). I.e. it is also all built around the scale view. You best get with it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

@markbl: The reason why I'd like to mix those 3 elements is that the unity panel is supior to all other panels, even the gnome shell dash. It correctly displays java apps launchers, wine apps like teamviewer, has quicklists and looks great.

The gnome shell dash on the other side doesn't group the windows of most of my java and wine apps (like myeclipse, teamviewer) correctly.

I can pin myeclipse to the dash, but when opened, the icons shows up twice, one launcher, one running app/window icon ...

On the other hand, gnome shell's overview is basically a combination of compiz scale and expo. This is much much better to use than unity's scale and expo ... where e.g. it's so unintuitive to move windows around or to simply select another workspace (double click ...?)

I didn't want to start a debate what's better, more intuitive or more beautiful!

All I wanted to know is, if some of you already know how to make this all work ... I'm now at a point, where everything works like I want it to be - with some theming issues remainding ..

And the whole setup is quite stable too! Once gnome-panel crashed and from time to time the area where the menu in the windows would be are empty (e.g. in filezilla) but shown correctly in the gnome-panel.
    Nothing serious so far.
    @Gosset Inofensiu: Window management (I use 5 workspaces with ~ 2 windows on each) works great.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mojo2012 View Post
    The gnome shell dash on the other side doesn't group the windows of most of my java and wine apps (like myeclipse, teamviewer) correctly.

I can pin myeclipse to the dash, but when opened, the icons shows up twice, one launcher, one running app/window icon ...
    Funny, I have suffered this bug through Ubuntu 11.04, 11.10, and in 12.04 with Unity, never had it with Gnome shell. Unity also sometimes does not show a running app's icon in the launcher at all (although to be fair it seems this unity bug was finally fixed a month or two ago in 12.04 updates). This bug was one of the motivations for me to move to Gnome shell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12