Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: March 2012 System76 Lemur Ultra laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: March 2012 System76 Lemur Ultra laptop

Now, my System76 Lemur Ultra (lemu4) and Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit Long Term Service is running at blazing fast speed and performance. It is unbelievably fast and responsive right now. I am getting maximum speed and performance. These tips and tricks made a big difference.

I highly recommend that other Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit LTS users implement these tips and tricks immediately. You will see a massive improvement in speed and performance after one single reboot.

My computer was fast right out of the box, but now it is a speed demon.

Beans
    Distro

I am thinking about purchasing a Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB with 8 GB SLC NAND FLASH SSHD to replace my Crucial M4 SATA-III 128 GB SSD. I know that it will work with my System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) notebook PC and Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit. Does anyone else have a similar configuration to the one that I have including the Seagate Momentus XT SSHD? How is the reliability and the performance? My research indicates that it can offer quasi SSD performance at a fraction of the cost while offering a tremendous increase in total disk capacity. I use VM Ware Workstation 9.0.1 64 bit and I find that I am creating and using a lot of guest virtual machines lately. I want to install and use Red Hat Fedora 64 bit, PC-BSD 64 bit, OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed, Qubes-OS 64 bit, and Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit along with Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit on a single volume. I already have Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit in a 64.4 GB VMDK file along with other related files in my Virtualbox VMs folder. I copied it onto my Crucial M4 SATA-III 128 GB SSD and I now have 25.6 GB of available disk space.

What do you think that I should do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    I am thinking about purchasing a Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB with 8 GB SLC NAND FLASH SSHD to replace my Crucial M4 SATA-III 128 GB SSD. I know that it will work with my System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) notebook PC and Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit. Does anyone else have a similar configuration to the one that I have including the Seagate Momentus XT SSHD? How is the reliability and the performance? My research indicates that it can offer quasi SSD performance at a fraction of the cost while offering a tremendous increase in total disk capacity. I use VM Ware Workstation 9.0.1 64 bit and I find that I am creating and using a lot of guest virtual machines lately. I want to install and use Red Hat Fedora 64 bit, PC-BSD 64 bit, OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed, Qubes-OS 64 bit, and Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit along with Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit on a single volume. I already have Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit in a 64.4 GB VMDK file along with other related files in my Virtualbox VMs folder. I copied it onto my Crucial M4 SATA-III 128 GB SSD and I now have 25.6 GB of available disk space.

What do you think that I should do?
    The thing about the hybrid drives is that the performance is inconsistent. It will offer SSD performance on files that are cached on the SSD, but other files will take as long as a regular hard drive.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for your honest opinion and experiences with it. It's because of you that I decided to re-install Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit without resorting to full-disk encryption. I only encrypted my /home folder and my /swap partition. I really do love both my Crucial M4 and OCZ Vertex 3 SATA-III 6 GB/s 128 and 120 GB Solid State Drives. They are wicked fast! I can get a tremendous amount of work done in a relatively short period of time and they are super reliable and durable. I take care of my System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) notebook PC, but I do travel to many different locations with it inside a messenger bag. It's nice to know that it can handle the rougher treatment.

Beans
    Distro

I watched a lot of YouTube videos and I read a lot of PC reviews about the Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB SSHD and I am not impressed. On Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit, it will save about 12 - 15 seconds from the boot time and about 10 - 12 seconds from the shut down time. That's it. It still takes 28 seconds to cold boot and that's after at least 4 reboots have cached into the 8 GB SLC NAND FLASH.

It's not nearly as fast as my Crucial M4 SATA-III 128 GB Solid State Drive regardless of the operating system being used.

I can cold boot Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit LTS in less than 9 seconds and that's after I installed most of my essential and premium software applications.

I can shut down in less than 12 seconds most of the time.

I am not going to purchase it. I'd rather purchase something else, but it definitely will not be a Seagate Momentus XT SSHD.

Beans
    Distro

Hitachi is selling a 2.5" 9.5 mm 1.00 TB SATA-II 3 GB/s 7,200 RPM internal notebook PC hard disk drive for $89.99 USD from J&R Music World & Computer World with free shipping and no New Jersey sales tax. It is priced $20 USD less expensive than it's regular MSRP because Christmas is coming in a few days from today.

I am seriously thinking about getting it today or tomorrow. It uses the new 4K Advanced Format and I know that Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit Long Term Service will be compatible with it. My System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) notebook PC is compatible with it.

I was wondering if I should get it or not.

My other choice is to purchase very fine men's jewelry including a ring and a bracelet for my Christmas gifts this 2012.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Welly Wu; December 22nd, 2012 at 07:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I decided to get some fine men's jewelry including a bracelet, necklace, wrist watch, and two rings. I figure that will last me much longer than a 1 TB laptop hard disk drive.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345