Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: graphics card

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Beans
    6

    graphics card

    Hi guys, I have just moved over to Ubuntu 12.04 after 20 years of windows and am finding it a pretty steep learning curve. I have various versions of Linux running on desktops now with no problems

    I decided to try it on my laptop with the live cd and ended up installing it completely. The laptop has a decent graphics card but I don't know how to check if it is working correctly or if at all, if all the features are available, and I also can't find where to change any of the settings for it.
    The laptop is as follows
    HP Compaq NW8240
    Processor: Intel Pentium M 760 (2.0 GHz)
    Chipset: Intel 915PM (533 MHz FSB)
    Graphics: ATI Mobility FireGL V5000 128 MB GDDR3
    Screen: 15.4" WSXGA+ (1680x1050)
    Running with 2 Gb RAM

    If anyone out there can help me out I would really appreciate it.

    thanks in advance

    daz

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Beans
    45

    Re: graphics card help for a newbie please

    Quote Originally Posted by dazdidge View Post
    Hi guys, I have just moved over to Ubuntu 12.04 after 20 years of windows and am finding it a pretty steep learning curve. I have various versions of Linux running on desktops now with no problems

    I decided to try it on my laptop with the live cd and ended up installing it completely. The laptop has a decent graphics card but I don't know how to check if it is working correctly or if at all, if all the features are available, and I also can't find where to change any of the settings for it.
    The laptop is as follows
    HP Compaq NW8240
    Processor: Intel Pentium M 760 (2.0 GHz)
    Chipset: Intel 915PM (533 MHz FSB)
    Graphics: ATI Mobility FireGL V5000 128 MB GDDR3
    Screen: 15.4" WSXGA+ (1680x1050)
    Running with 2 Gb RAM

    If anyone out there can help me out I would really appreciate it.

    thanks in advance

    daz
    ATI is my favorite gfx card, I don't think there is anything wrong with that.
    what would you like do do with it? do you mean something like speed acceleration?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: graphics card

    Quote Originally Posted by dazdidge View Post
    Hi guys, I have just moved over to Ubuntu 12.04 after 20 years of windows and am finding it a pretty steep learning curve. I have various versions of Linux running on desktops now with no problems

    I decided to try it on my laptop with the live cd and ended up installing it completely. The laptop has a decent graphics card but I don't know how to check if it is working correctly or if at all, if all the features are available, and I also can't find where to change any of the settings for it.
    The laptop is as follows
    HP Compaq NW8240
    Processor: Intel Pentium M 760 (2.0 GHz)
    Chipset: Intel 915PM (533 MHz FSB)
    Graphics: ATI Mobility FireGL V5000 128 MB GDDR3
    Screen: 15.4" WSXGA+ (1680x1050)
    Running with 2 Gb RAM

    If anyone out there can help me out I would really appreciate it.

    thanks in advance

    daz
    If your graphics are good (no artifacts, excessive lag) and you have the correct resolution, it looks like the open-source drivers are working fine for you. Nothing more required.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Beans
    6

    Re: graphics card

    In windows I can go into hardware manager and instantly see if the card is installed and working correctly as opposed to the standard windows drivers, in which case it would be using the onboard graphics and using RAM to run it. With having 128mb of memory on the card I would rather be using that but I don't know how to check.

    thanks
    daz

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Beans
    6

    Re: graphics card

    Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    If your graphics are good (no artifacts, excessive lag) and you have the correct resolution, it looks like the open-source drivers are working fine for you. Nothing more required.
    In that case it's looking good. I have read somewhere on the web that Ubuntu doesn't get on well with my graphics card and it can be a pita to get working correctly.

    thanks for the reply
    daz

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Left Coast of the USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: graphics card

    Don't follow any suggestion to attempt to install the fglrx (Catalyst) driver.

    It's not that Ubuntu doesn't get along with your card. AMD dropped Linux driver support for that card and there is only the legacy driver. Unfortunately, that will not work with X server versions after 2008. Installing the fglrx driver would leave you looking at a blank screen and throwing things.

    Please have a look here for some info on the open source Radeon driver. If your card is not supported, you will have to use the default VESA driver.
    Last edited by QIII; June 23rd, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London, England
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: graphics card

    As you have noticed, Linux does things differently to Microsoft Windows.

    Try selecting Displays from the power cog menu. Or opening the Dash and selecting the Applications lens (second icon from the left at the bottom of the Dash) and looking for a utility relating to your graphics card. You might have to click See xxx number more installed.

    Another thing you can try is to Install Compiz Configuration Settings Manager (CCSM) and use the Ubuntu Unity Plugin to modify Unity. If you can resize the Launcher icons then you have Unity 3D running and your card is being used to the full.

    Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530


  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    rocket city,al,usa
    Beans
    659
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: graphics card

    I you want know what drivers are in use ,try this in a terminal
    Code:
    lspci -v

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Beans
    6

    Re: graphics card

    Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    As you have noticed, Linux does things differently to Microsoft Windows.

    Try selecting Displays from the power cog menu. Or opening the Dash and selecting the Applications lens (second icon from the left at the bottom of the Dash) and looking for a utility relating to your graphics card. You might have to click See xxx number more installed.

    Another thing you can try is to Install Compiz Configuration Settings Manager (CCSM) and use the Ubuntu Unity Plugin to modify Unity. If you can resize the Launcher icons then you have Unity 3D running and your card is being used to the full.

    Regards.
    Could not find anything in your first suggestion, but I installed CCSM and was able to resize the Launcher icons. So it would appear the card is being used to its potential and I had nothing to worry about

    Thanks to everyone who replied =D>

    daz

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •