Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding Chromium Web Browser

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Question regarding Chromium Web Browser

I would prefer to use Chromium, but not if it receives no updates. I disabled the Chromium PPA and installed Chrome.

Beans

Ubuntu does provide security updates for Chromium, what you don't get is the next version. This is just like Firefox, Ubuntu 10.04 is still using Firefox 3.5 and if you want a newer version, then you need to add a ppa.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Well, ppa:chromium-daily/stable is still at the same version that's in the Precise repos. Latest upload May 1st, according to this page: https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/stable

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    Ubuntu does provide security updates for Chromium, what you don't get is the next version. This is just like Firefox, Ubuntu 10.04 is still using Firefox 3.5 and if you want a newer version, then you need to add a ppa.
    Ok, that's fine then for me. I don't have any problem with using version 18 as long as it keeps up with security updates.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 and it has been being updated beyond 3.x. Today it just updated to Firefox 14.0.1.

I believe Ubuntu changed their policy on updates for some special packages, such as Firefox and Thunderbird, and of course the LTS versions (such as Ubuntu 10.4 Lucid Lynx and the current 12.04 Precise Pangolin) get extra special treatment, with security updates for all "main" packages, and full update treatment for a few packages, for a longer time than the non-LTS releases.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 and it has been being updated beyond 3.x. Today it just updated to Firefox 14.0.1.

I believe Ubuntu changed their policy on updates for some special packages, such as Firefox and Thunderbird, and of course the LTS versions (such as Ubuntu 10.4 Lucid Lynx and the current 12.04 Precise Pangolin) get extra special treatment, with security updates for all "main" packages, and full update treatment for a few packages, for a longer time than the non-LTS releases.
    Good to know. I heard they are going to change their policy for 12.04 as it will be supported for 5 long years, but I didn't know they had done this for 10.04 as well.

Security updates are included for all packages in the repos, I guess some packages will also see version updates, but there will probably be a delay before you see the updates. This isn't bad, as packages will be tested before shipped.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daKoolaid View Post
    Ok, that's fine then for me. I don't have any problem with using version 18 as long as it keeps up with security updates.
    It doesn't. Unfortunately, there's a whole bunch of misconceptions floating about ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    It doesn't. Unfortunately, there's a whole bunch of misconceptions floating about ...
    Erm, ok...this is confusing. So then builds from commondatastorage link would be a better idea to use? That's Chromium 23 or something like that, I think. It seems like there's no ppa so I guess it's just download, extract and run.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Can be misleading since Ubuntu does release security patches if needed(?) & vulnerabilities are often fixed in what some perceive as "old" packages. However I'm unshure if patches from Ubuntu get directly back upstream (i.e. the Chromium project). Sometimes new or unfixed packages introduce new vulnerabilities. Complete analysis of the source code could probably find some vulnerabilities but could be a subject too often overlooked as a lack of resources.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lyfang View Post
    Can be misleading since Ubuntu does release security patches if needed(?) & vulnerabilities are often fixed in what some perceive as "old" packages. However I'm unshure if patches from Ubuntu get directly back upstream (i.e. the Chromium project). Sometimes new or unfixed packages introduce new vulnerabilities. Complete analysis of the source code could probably find some vulnerabilities but could be a subject too often overlooked as a lack of resources.
    Is the implication that Chromium 18 is being patched and is on par in terms of security with more recent versions of Chromium?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast