Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resize Ubuntu partition

Beans

Resize Ubuntu partition

Hi!
    I have a Dual Boot computer with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04. I have more space in the Windows partition than Ubuntu's.

I want to reduce Windows partition size and increase the Ubuntu partition size, but every time i try to do it, when i restart it doesn't load Grub bootloader. Instead, a prompt saying "grub rescue>" shows up.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong! Can someone tell me how to do it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Resize Ubuntu partition

Quote Originally Posted by MetalDrummer View Post
    Hi!
    I have a Dual Boot computer with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04. I have more space in the Windows partition than Ubuntu's.

I want to reduce Windows partition size and increase the Ubuntu partition size, but every time i try to do it, when i restart it doesn't load Grub bootloader. Instead, a prompt saying "grub rescue>" shows up.

So what does try it actually mean what are you doing.

W7 should be resized with its partitioner, and Ubuntu using a live Ubuntu cd.

If you need to reload the mbr try the boot repair app, using the recommended repair. If you have problems post the HTTP address of the bootinfo summary which is run automatically when you use the boot repair tool.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

When you see a grub rescue> it possibly means there has been a change which may be under this circumstance a change of the UUID identifying the partition Ubuntu is in.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by MetalDrummer View Post
    Hi!

Have u already tried to resize your partitions??
    did the error about grub occur after u tried to resize?
    see the following link to resize it:gparted is being used there;
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html
    if you have startup problem, follow wilee-nilee's link on boot-repair tool

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    So what does try it actually mean what are you doing.

W7 should be resized with its partitioner, and Ubuntu using a live Ubuntu cd.

If you need to reload the mbr try the boot repair app, using the recommended repair. If you have problems post the HTTP address of the bootinfo summary which is run automatically when you use the boot repair tool.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

When you see a grub rescue> it possibly means there has been a change which may be under this circumstance a change of the UUID identifying the partition Ubuntu is in.
    I used the boot-repair-tool, but after rebooting it doesn't shows GRUB bootloader. It loads from Windows directly

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WinuxUser View Post
    Have u already tried to resize your partitions??
    did the error about grub occur after u tried to resize?
    see the following link to resize it:gparted is being used there;
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html
    if you have startup problem, follow wilee-nilee's link on boot-repair tool
    WinuxUser, the error occurs after resizing and rebooting

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

the boot-repair should have done the trick for you... so basically, now you can boot only to windows right?
    So run the boot info script and post its output here:
    http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: Resize Ubuntu partition

Hello. I guess either:
    - Ubuntu partition is broken so not detected by os-prober, then Boot-Repair restored a generic MBR to boot directly Windows
    - or Boot-Repair reinstalled GRUB but update-grub didn't detect the kernels

@MetalDrummer: what was the URL which appeared after you used Boot-Repair? if you don't remember, please run Boot-Repair, click "Advanced options", click the "Backup partition tables.." button, save the ZIP file somewhere, then send me this ZIP file by email (yannubuntu ATT gmail DOTT com) or attach it to your reply in this thread.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    Hello. I guess either:
    - Ubuntu partition is broken so not detected by os-prober, then Boot-Repair restored a generic MBR to boot directly Windows
    - or Boot-Repair reinstalled GRUB but update-grub didn't detect the kernels

@MetalDrummer: what was the URL which appeared after you used Boot-Repair? if you don't remember, please run Boot-Repair, click "Advanced options", click the "Backup partition tables.." button, save the ZIP file somewhere, then send me this ZIP file by email (yannubuntu ATT gmail DOTT com) or attach it to your reply in this thread.
    @YannBuntu here is the URL: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1061288/

@WinuxUser I think the URL is what you asked

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

MetalDrummer, i don't see any GRUB installed in your system... i think YannBuntu is right here... your ubuntu partition is broken... and as he said, the generic mbr is restored to sda.

The sda5 should have grub installed in it, but its not there.. further more, ubuntu isn't detected. Maybe a reinstallation of ubuntu would be fine ..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Script says it is a 10GB drive.

How are you booting both Windows 7 which needs more than 10GB, 30 usually recommended and Ubuntu which needs 4.5GB but 10 to 20GB unusually suggested.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast