Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Getting HP ProBook 4530s silent, maybe DSDT patching?

Beans

Re: Help getting HP ProBook 4530s silent, maybe DSDT patching?

Hello

I am totally new to Linux (Mint 14) but however since I do alot of writing I need a silent PC and that without Windows...

I have two HP 2540P and of course the fan is bugging me alot. Bios is set to NOT always on.

Can you help me to get my HP silent please?

PS:
    I am from Germany since I noticed some others here too...

thanks alot

Beans

Howdy folks, I've bought a 2540p, its running 12.1, and my fan is stucked (linux off, W7 normal)... Differently than yours, it stops during kernel bootup. The BIOS was updated to the last issue (03/2013). Did you had success with fancontrol? Or only with the fanslow.sh?
    Thanks in advance,
    Andrei Mörsch Franco

Beans

Thank you, k3mpaxl ! Your post is some time ago, but I am happy I have found it. And it works perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by k3mpaxl View Post
    now your system will boot up with a silent fan.
    k3mpaxl, thank you very much for posting your solution - and a well written and easy to follow solution to boot.

I owe you a beer - if you're ever in Yorkshire, UK get in touch.

Stephen

Beans

Re: Getting HP ProBook 4530s silent, maybe DSDT patching?

Hi all,

at first, thanks for your nice feedback! It's nice to read that people using my script

I've rewitten my fan control code.
    It's a normal system service now, setting the control instructions during the boot and resetting to normal behauvior on shutdown.
    I also changed the fan spin up mechanism. This script is better for dual boot systems.

I'll upload it within the next days.

If you got any questions in upgrading your 4530s with a full hd display, changing the cpu or removing the dvd drive for an additional 2,5 hdd/ssd, send me a private message.

Beans

Hello
    Sorry I'm newbie! And can't understand what should I do.
    Could you please help me to do that?
    What is inside `/home/gregor/.4530s/FanControl/probook_ec.pl`?

I followed this guide about how to control fan speed in Ubuntu, but it doesn't work with my laptop and got /usr/sbin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed error.
    Previously in windows i'd do it with hpfancontrol from here.

Beans

Wow! Works with my Probook 450 G2!

Beans

Hello,

after receiving several messages about my probook fan control script, I'd like to share my updated version with you.
    I've written this script as a service. It will start with your boot sequence and stop when your pc shuts down.

It works on my Probook 4530s for several month now. You can use it on you own risk.

Code:
    sudo mkdir /etc/fanspeed
    sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/k3mpaxl/fanspeed/master/fanslow.sh -O /etc/fanspeed/fanslow.sh
    sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/k3mpaxl/fanspeed/master/probook_ec.pl -O /etc/fanspeed/probook_ec.pl

sudo chmod a+x /etc/fanspeed/fanslow.sh
    sudo chmod a+x /etc/fanspeed/probook_ec.pl

sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/k3mpaxl/fanspeed/master/init.d_fanspeed -O /etc/init.d/fanspeed

sudo chmod a+x /etc/init.d/fanspeed

sudo update-rc.d -f fanspeed defaults
    k3mpaxl

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks, Its perfect. I made tweaks for my Probook 450 G0, for example:
    TMP=$(cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon*/device/hwmon/hwmon1/temp1_input | cut -b1-2)
    Also NEWSPEEDF to "F5" cause this is the slowest possible value for my fan. I cant set fan to OFF by "FF" value. Maybe its not possible or i am doing something wrong. I think "FF" just restart fan to safe default value.

I am interested about the variables in fanslow.sh file at the bottom.

#throttle down after $THROTTLESEC seconds
    THROTTLESEC=30
    #set fan off after on lowest setting for $THROTTLEOFF seconds
    THROTTLEOFF=80
    #temperatures in celsius
    TEMPFANSTARTSPEED=52 #56
    TEMPFANMAXSPEED=80
    I think i understand only TEMPFANSTARTSPED. But what others? What does it mean?

Anyway, thank you very much.

Beans

My fancontrol script uses a parabola function to calculate the fanspeed.
    The formula is (temp-maxtemp)*(temp+maxtemp)*(-24/1000), here is what this looks like on wolframalpha:
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...x+%3D+18+to+80

On the Probook 4530s, the fanspeed values go from 0 (maximum speed) to 80 (lowest speed), and FF means "Fan off".
    This means, the higher the average temperature is, the lower the fanspeed value should be set (because lower fanspeed values mean higher speed). This is confusing, yes!

The value TEMPFANSTARTSPEED is the fan on/off switch temperature. TEMPFANMAXSPEED defines how fast the function calculates the maximum fan speed.

Once the avg cpu temperature is lower than the last temperature, the value THROTTLESEC defines how many seconds the mechanism must wait and keep the old speed until the fan gets lowered.

So, if you know you fanspeed maximum and minimum, you can create your own parabola function to calculate the desired fanspeed value.

I hope, this will help you debugging my script.

k3mpaxl

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234