Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 76

Thread: Switching From Ubuntu To Lubuntu & Others

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    1,095
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Question Switching From Ubuntu To Lubuntu & Others

    Hey everybody!

    I'm thinking of switching from my current Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to Lubuntu 12.04 LTS. However, being that I'm fairly new to Linux and such, I don't know how to proceed. I came across a thread here that stated that I can use Synaptic Package Manager to install Lubuntu-core or Lubuntu-desktop, something like that. I checked in Synaptic Package Manager for all things Lubuntu, and received a bunch of results. I don't really know what's needed. I'd like some guidance in transitioning. Note that I'd still want the option to use Ubuntu 12.04 LTS as well as Lubuntu 12.04 LTS. Is this just a matter of installing LXDE? If so, please explain. Another thing I was thinking of was to run Lubuntu in Virtualbox to see if I like it and decide whether I want to switch to it or not. I'm also thinking of trying out other operating systems like Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Linux Mint. That's why I'm thinking of using Virtualbox.

    I've said a lot so to sum up, first, how does one transition to using Lubuntu from Ubuntu and, second, how do I set up Virtualbox? Thank you kindly.
    Question Everything

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oblivion
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Switching From Ubuntu To Lubuntu & Others

    Install 'lxde' from Synaptics and see if you like it. That will give you the desktop environment at least. Install, log out, choose 'Lxde' from the Sessions popup, log in.

    You could install the Lubuntu components ... but, you would be missing one of the major benefits of installing such an OS in the first place; lack of bloat, speed and ease of use. You will have a regular Ubuntu install, plus the extra stuff you need for Lubuntu making things possibly slower than they are now (all Ubuntu apps will appear in the menus when you are booted into Lxde).

    But having said all this, yes, you basically only need lubuntu-desktop and that's it. Everything else will be dragged in.

    My preference would be to clear some space on a hard drive and install it fresh there. You'll certainly notice the difference then. (Or you could try as a virtual machine inside your current install.) Running it from its own partition will give you access to the /home folder and others on your current install.

    If you already have a /home partition then you can use that one for the Lubuntu install also (as well as the existing /swap).


    PS: Easiest? Try it from the LiveCD. Install if you like it.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 23rd, 2012 at 07:35 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    1,095
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Switching From Ubuntu To Lubuntu & Others

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Install lxde and see if you like it. That will give you the desktop environment at least. Install, log out, choose 'Lxde' from the Sessions popup, log in.

    You could install the Lubuntu components ... but, you would be missing one of the major benefits of installing such an OS in the first place; lack of bloat, speed and ease of use. You will have a regular Ubuntu install, plus the extra stuff you need for Lubuntu making things possibly slower than they are now (all Ubuntu apps will appear in the menus when you are booted into Lxde).

    But having said all this, yes, you basically only need lubuntu-desktop and that should be it. Everything else will be dragged in.

    My preference would be to clear some space on a hard drive and install it fresh there. You'll certainly notice the difference then.
    Thanks for the reply Bucky Ball. So all I need to do is
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
    and that'll install LXDE, log out and select Lubuntu from the Login Screen?
    Question Everything

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oblivion
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Switching From Ubuntu To Lubuntu & Others

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    Thanks for the reply Bucky Ball. So all I need to do is
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
    and that'll install LXDE, log out and select Lubuntu from the Login Screen?
    NO. That will install Lubuntu complete. Installing 'lxde' will install only the desktop environment.

    Please re-read my last post as I have changed it a bit.

    (PS: Yes,
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
    is the correct command to install Lubuntu and all its packages and dependencies.)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    1,095
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Switching From Ubuntu To Lubuntu & Others

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    NO. That will install Lubuntu complete. Installing 'lxde' will install only the desktop environment.

    Please re-read my last post as I have changed it a bit.

    (PS: Yes,
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
    is the correct command to install Lubuntu and all its packages and dependencies.)
    Oh okay. I will install just LXDE for now to test out the interface and see if I prefer it over my current Ubuntu setup.
    Question Everything

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Beans
    10,181
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Switching From Ubuntu To Lubuntu & Others

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    ..
    I'm thinking of switching ... other operating systems like Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Linux Mint. That's why I'm thinking of using Virtualbox.
    ...
    You've not given the reasons for "thinking of switching" ... . I'm making that point because if you want to go for something lighter, I'm not sure that Kubuntu would be a candidate.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    1,095
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Switching From Ubuntu To Lubuntu & Others

    Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    You've not given the reasons for "thinking of switching" ... . I'm making that point because if you want to go for something lighter, I'm not sure that Kubuntu would be a candidate.
    You're right vasa1, my reason for switching to Lubuntu is to have a lighter system, and also just to experience the other operating systems.
    Question Everything

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Beans
    28

    Re: Switching From Ubuntu To Lubuntu & Others

    LXDE is a simple desktop to add to another distribution because in total it consists of only about 10 or 11 components. The main component is lxde-core. That will get you the file browser, lxpanel (taskbar), session manager, windows manager and screensaver, which is a working desktop. To see what you might add from there, see http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Debian.htm, which is a complete recipe for making LXDE the only desktop on a Debian system. If you do not want to lose the Ubuntu desktop, then just skip the "remove" part of the recipe.

    To use and set-up an LXDE desktop, see http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html .

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: Switching From Ubuntu To Lubuntu & Others

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    Oh okay. I will install just LXDE for now to test out the interface and see if I prefer it over my current Ubuntu setup.
    Bear in mind that Lubuntu sets up themes, tweaks and settings when you install it fully.
    Raw LXDE looks like a developer had a bad day.

    Basically, it'll look better when you install fully.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Beans
    10,181
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Switching From Ubuntu To Lubuntu & Others

    Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    Bear in mind that Lubuntu sets up themes, tweaks and settings when you install it fully.
    Raw LXDE looks like a developer had a bad day.

    Basically, it'll look better when you install fully.
    I don't know about Lubuntu but when I installed Xfce 4.10 (launchpad.net/~xubuntu-dev/+archive/*xfce-4.10) on top of Ubuntu 12.04, there wasn't much of a problem.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •